No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Random Building Thoughts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Random Building Thoughts
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-10-13 11:49   
I was bored building today and had alot of free thought to spare so I came up with a few things.

Scrapping. - Always long since been a little well... illogical. To say the least. One of the things that has always bugged me is that if it takes time to build a planet, why doesn't take any time to scrap one? Stick a timer on scrapping buildings in proportion to the time it takes to build it.

Also, its long been discussed, but a person should really at least have a build to be able to scrap.

Building - One of the most irritating things about building, is that if you don't build everything individually, you'll get alot less prestige. So I thought of this.

A. Get rid of speed building. Yes. Gone. Kaboom. Make planets take time to build. No throwing together a planet in a half hour. One build gadget = one building at a time.

Which brings another thought which is..

B. Put more build gadgets on the engineering ships, depending on rank/class. The more you have, the more building you can build at once, or the faster you can build a single building. If its also possible, since levels will be clamped, you could also make it so the level of a build gadget also is a factor.

What does this mean? It means that defending planets before they're finished will be even more important. Engineers might well have to work together to get a planet up quickly, and large build capable ships, such as stations and command dreadnoughts could have enough building capibility to bring up planets quickly.

Yay they aren't entirely useless.

Tis all for now.. I think.

-Ent

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2007-10-13 12:09   
So population just sits in their homes until the drones have built everything. I don't think so MAYBE the population ie the millions of people on the planets help build things?

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-10-13 12:21   
If that were the case, then we wouldn't have to need a build device to build anything at all. We could just tell the population to do it all.

-Ent

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 02:32   
Quote:

On 2007-10-13 11:49, Enterprise wrote:
I was bored building today and had alot of free thought to spare so I came up with a few things.

Scrapping. - Always long since been a little well... illogical. To say the least. One of the things that has always bugged me is that if it takes time to build a planet, why doesn't take any time to scrap one? Stick a timer on scrapping buildings in proportion to the time it takes to build it.

Also, its long been discussed, but a person should really at least have a build to be able to scrap.

Yes plox.

Quote:

Building - One of the most irritating things about building, is that if you don't build everything individually, you'll get alot less prestige. So I thought of this.

A. Get rid of speed building. Yes. Gone. Kaboom. Make planets take time to build. No throwing together a planet in a half hour. One build gadget = one building at a time.

Get several engineers on one planet, and it'll be like speed building again.

Quote:

B. Put more build gadgets on the engineering ships, depending on rank/class. The more you have, the more building you can build at once, or the faster you can build a single building. If its also possible, since levels will be clamped, you could also make it so the level of a build gadget also is a factor.

Still a great idea, but still likley able to be abused by people by using several engineers on one planet.

Quote:

What does this mean? It means that defending planets before they're finished will be even more important. Engineers might well have to work together to get a planet up quickly, and large build capable ships, such as stations and command dreadnoughts could have enough building capibility to bring up planets quickly.

I <3 You.

All in all, a great idea to me, but the one build = being able to build one build has a chance to be worked around.

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-10-14 02:32 ]

Email Supertrooper
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 07:52   
Quote:

Timer on scraping things?? are u mad??? its **** boring to build a planet and it takes alot of time! what like 1hour? and then u want to make it even slower??? scrap that idea.

More drones i do like however, thoug the devs have said it will never ever come. Thoug i dont see the problem in this, as in next version there will be alot less planets to build (the idea atleast) and a builder will get the same amount of pres if it uses 1 or 2 drones, just makes the build alot faster.

Anyways another solution is to make the drones faster, that it takes less time to build an item but u get the same pres. Thoug this could be abused and what not..

About having a drone to be able to scrap is a VERY good idea. I have suggested this before but the devs didnt like this due to that they didnt want to do more work, or more problems...bah!.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 12:47   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 07:52, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny] wrote:
Quote:

Timer on scraping things?? are u mad??? its **** boring to build a planet and it takes alot of time! what like 1hour? and then u want to make it even slower??? scrap that idea.

Are you a special child, really?

Building a planet is supposed to be strategical. So why make something thats supposed to be important to a fleet take thirty minutes to build?
.484 is about teamwork, not hopping around willy nilly capping systems within an hour and building them in that ammount of time too. Capping a system should take hours or even days considering the size of the system.

Quote:

More drones i do like however, thoug the devs have said it will never ever come. Thoug i dont see the problem in this, as in next version there will be alot less planets to build (the idea atleast) and a builder will get the same amount of pres if it uses 1 or 2 drones, just makes the build alot faster.

Oh yes, let's make building give off enough prestige in a shorter ammount of time, because we're all idiots here.

And having less planets means it should take longer to build them, showing the value of each planet. You shouldnt be able to build a planet within 30 minutes like you can now.

Email Supertrooper
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 15:31   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 12:47, Crim wrote:

Building a planet is supposed to be strategical. So why make something thats supposed to be important to a fleet take thirty minutes to build?
.484 is about teamwork, not hopping around willy nilly capping systems within an hour and building them in that ammount of time too. Capping a system should take hours or even days considering the size of the system.

Oh yes, let's make building give off enough prestige in a shorter ammount of time, because we're all idiots here.

And having less planets means it should take longer to build them, showing the value of each planet. You shouldnt be able to build a planet within 30 minutes like you can now.

Damn rigth im special!

And how many person can stay online for 1 hour at a time? thats not many realy...and thats 1 planet. what if u gona build a cluster? that takes alot time. First off u need the tech and population before actuly building. And it is boring to build no mather how important that one planet is. Its not rocket sience to build a planet, its relatively easy.

Capping a system should take days? err i mean that sounds REALY boring! dont get me wrong, i dont like the system how it is, but making it THAT difficult is just wrong. The point is not to scare away the players, its to get em to stay and reqruit. This version cinda does with giving alot of building pres and automatical building pres if u got the time for it. But if u gona make it so hard that it will take hours to cap one planet = 40-80 pres...and then u have to share it with 3-4 other persons...

Know i do know having lots of drones is a bad idea, but this is a suggestion forum, and bether to throw it out here and discus it then flaming someone for trying.

Anyways the point is that using more then 30-60 minutes to build a planet is realy a long time...god knows how many times ive tried to learn a new player to build a planet, but most of the times they can only be online for like 20-30 minutes if that. And that is ofc before they die of boredom. Its not like its fun and alot of action to sitt next to a planet for 1 hour watching a timer on a building now is it? people do it for one reason only, prestige. thats it.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 16:35   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 15:31, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny] wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 12:47, Crim wrote:

Damn rigth im special!

And how many person can stay online for 1 hour at a time? thats not many realy...and thats 1 planet. what if u gona build a cluster? that takes alot time. First off u need the tech and population before actuly building. And it is boring to build no mather how important that one planet is. Its not rocket sience to build a planet, its relatively easy.

You need to stop thinking in a .483 mindset if you're going to post in the .484 Beta forums.

It isnt going to be one person building a system, it's going to be several. While you are building one planet yourself, and it will take an hour, you will have several other engineers working on different planets.

Quote:

Capping a system should take days? err i mean that sounds REALY boring! dont get me wrong, i dont like the system how it is, but making it THAT difficult is just wrong.

My bad. Constant fighting, sieging, and defending for days is abit boring, isnt it? I mean it's not like Darkspace was ment for that kind of gameplay anyways.

Quote:
The point is not to scare away the players, its to get em to stay and reqruit. This version cinda does with giving alot of building pres and automatical building pres if u got the time for it. But if u gona make it so hard that it will take hours to cap one planet = 40-80 pres...and then u have to share it with 3-4 other persons...

Hi there, and welcome to Teamwork 101. It wont take hours to cap a planet, but it should take hours to take a system. Which that system will be constantly fought for over the next several days, before one side either captures and contols it safely, or the other side defends it and pushes the enemy out. Which means, you will likley be building several planets multiple times, that is if all you do is engineer. Prestige will come from every angle during these system invasions. You'll have constant combat, bombing raids, supply ships, and engineers building planets for a foothold, and a stronghold in the system.

Quote:

Anyways the point is that using more then 30-60 minutes to build a planet is realy a long time...god knows how many times ive tried to learn a new player to build a planet, but most of the times they can only be online for like 20-30 minutes if that. And that is ofc before they die of boredom. Its not like its fun and alot of action to sitt next to a planet for 1 hour watching a timer on a building now is it? people do it for one reason only, prestige. thats it.

I see one big problem there. If you're building for prestige, you should be ready and willing to slow build the planet, because if you just quick build, you'll get MAYBE 1/8 of the prestige you would gain from slow building.

So, in turn, builders would thus get a good bit of prestige, but they'd have to do it the right way. And in .484, it'll be alot more valuable to the faction they are helping.

Welcome to .484, where there is no I in Team. You're not going to solo things anymore, you're going to have to work with your faction.

Email Supertrooper
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-14 20:39   
crim, he won't understand. he's one of THOSE noobs that doesn't understand how Darkspace should work.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-14 21:55   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 20:39, leonide wrote:
crim, he won't understand. he's one of THOSE noobs that doesn't understand how Darkspace should work.

Leo, I don't think we should make bias personal remarks towards people. True as you may think they are, true as they may be, this isn't the time or place to start a flame war because somebody can't "appear intellegent" or whose ideas of a "fun game" doesn't fit with your idea.

kthx.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-14 22:37   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 21:55, Fattierob (x2 Giga Drill Breakers) wrote:
Quote:

Leo, I don't think we should make bias personal remarks towards people. True as you may think they are, true as they may be, this isn't the time or place to start a flame war because somebody can't "appear intellegent" or whose ideas of a "fun game" doesn't fit with your idea.

kthx.

ROB I R BIAS AND U R FAT SO U EAT TWINKIES

Sorry, random post.

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-15 06:28   
Quote:

On 2007-10-14 22:37, Crim wrote:

ROB I R BIAS AND U R FAT SO U EAT TWINKIES

Sorry, random post.

Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-10-15 11:35   
Quote:

Im sorry if my ideas or thougths don`t fit with what darkspace "should" be or not. But i do think im allowd to expres my opinions wihtout beeing called a noob and what not. And if i got this rigth this is a suggestion forum, not a forum about how 484 should be.

Im not posting this as a flame, i dont have anything against u leonide, but i do think i have my rigth to defend myself.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-15 13:25   
yea... so back on topic:

Taking ideas from the suggestions. I like how this flows:

• auto completion of buildings is removed
  • each structure is built by a build device and can be progressed in completion by that build device with the aid of other build devices to speed up the structures completion progress
  • Depening on rank and/or badges, have several different build devices on several different engineer based ships to allow for multiple building as the player progresses in the building field.
  • scrapping requires the same proceedure as building per build device. So the more build devices you have on a structure to scrap, the faster the structure is deconstructed.
  • scrapping no longer induces prestige loss

Something along those lines...

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-10-15 14:45   
Quote:

On 2007-10-15 13:25, Ospolos (qmbzjoh fwf) wrote:
yea... so back on topic:

Taking ideas from the suggestions. I like how this flows:

• auto completion of buildings is removed
  • each structure is built by a build device and can be progressed in completion by that build device with the aid of other build devices to speed up the structures completion progress
  • Depening on rank and/or badges, have several different build devices on several different engineer based ships to allow for multiple building as the player progresses in the building field.
  • scrapping requires the same proceedure as building per build device. So the more build devices you have on a structure to scrap, the faster the structure is deconstructed.
  • scrapping no longer induces prestige loss

Something along those lines...

I like all those ideas, however, there is sort of a hitch with the last one.

See scrapping not inducing prestige loss would be kickass, HOWEVER, unfortunately, it provides an exploitable problem, which is why it was introduced in the first place.

See, you could build 32 fusion gens on a planet.

Scrap them all.

Repeat.

This is a problem. An obvious problem that anyone can see however,, and mods can't be on every faction in every system 24/7 to catch it.

So! The solution would be to allow the possibility of upgrading structures rather than having to scrap to rebuild, as this was already suggested before by Draf himself as a possibility.

Also, just as a side note.. no flaming kai (hint: leo). Everyone has opinons, but I really expect people to come up with honest, sound arguments of why something would not work. "I H8 IT CUZ IM LAZY AND DUN LYKE BUILDIN" isn't a good reason, so don't be suprised if others argue against it.

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025030 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR