Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » beta suggestion
 Author beta suggestion
Live Free
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-29 22:29   
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I had an idea about the new system for "upgrading" your ships. While I do like the idea of getting rid of the "levels" I believe the new system is currently too restrictive when it comes to ship weapon configurations. The main problem I see is the fact that you are unable to swap close range weapons for long range weapons and vice versa in this new system. I also believe keeping this ability in the game will aid in the realism of the game. throughout history ships have been refitted numerous times to make them more effective at a given role and I believe these "prefabricated" ships are going to become an embarrassment.

I am not suggesting any extreme changes to the "upgrade" system you are currently using in beta, I am only suggesting you expand the options for modifying the weapons configuration of our ships. In example the current system in beta does not allow you to swap from missles to torpedos, or torpedos to missles. The advantage to allowing you to change your weapons configuration in this way is it allows you to tailor your ship to fit the needs of your battle group. while missles are good against fast ships they are useless for larger ships, and the opposite is true of torpedos. I believe that by balancing the weapons you can use could get rid of any possible problems with this idea.

[ This Message was edited by: MnMs (AKA Live Free) on 2007-10-29 22:34 ]

Goto the website of Live Free
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-30 00:07   
Beta stuff post on Beta site.
Beta.Darkspace.net

Direct link > Beta Forum : Developer Feedback (Suggestions)

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2007-10-30 00:09 ]

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-10-30 00:27   
not only that, but we already have a new upgrade system which is much better than the current one, and much faster to get into a fight. no need to change it right now.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-30 02:54   
If you want torpedos, use the torpedo cruiser. Or the assault destroyer, or the missile dread.. er, assault dread.

If you want missiles, there are a number of ships named missile something, which to me seems a great option for the missle-happy.

If you want cannons, there are ships designed for that as well.

The thing is - we can have a ship with very general slots and lots of moddability, but then we have to work a lot harder to make sure missiles are balanced versus torps versus cannons versus beams. It makes it quite difficult, and has historically made for reasonably poor balance.

On the other hand, if we limit modding, we just have to balance overall ships, which is a bit easier - if the missile ships are a bit overpowered, we can tweak missiles without fear of making a modded torpedo cruiser overpowered (or getting monstrosities like the torp MD). We can even tweak the ship itself (ie, drop a reactor, or add one, or something) to make it more competetive, if that would seem to help.

Basically, we think that having a wide variety of stock ship configurations but not allowing much modding will allow for a better shot at a good balance.

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-10-30 07:23   
Shigernafy has pretty much beaten me to it.

With reference to the historical context, I would like to point you towards modern air warfare. You will have a basic airplane design, and then develop several modifications of this core concept to fullfil certain roles. This is the path that we are following in DarkSpace. The core model would be the general 'Combat' class, then you have four potential variants, close range combat, long ranged combat, e-warfare and bomber. Each of these will be based on the same core ship, but due to various tweaks in hull superstructure, they will be unable to mount certain classes and types of weaponry.

For the initial release of 1.484 the modding options will be relatively light, especially for K'Luth, but we are looking at introduing some new weapon types and variants of existing weaponry. The most important thing to get right at the moment is the core balance. Once we have this to within satisfactory margins we can work on adding more game content.

The new modding system is also designed to be very easy to pick up and use for new players, and is a lot more intuitive when compared to the existing method.

Goto the website of Drafell
Live Free
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-30 22:24   
ok I understand.

I was just suggesting adding a few more options for modding the ships in the new system. I wasnt trying to suggest flooding it with every possible weapon.

I figured it would be easier to balance considering there would no longer be levels on each of the new weapons, so I assumed you could change the weapon stats for the torps that could be fitted to one class ship but not the others.

Goto the website of Live Free
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-10-31 01:20   
well...as it stands in beta livefree...i sorta like not modding torps in place of the missles in the battle dread its funner....and less headache on the enemy complaining of the arc bug....1 or 2 Torps is enough i think...but 5-10? overdoing it....think starship enterprise....with 2 choices for weapons...you got phasers....photon torpedos and an addon with Quantum Torpedos or....the highly unstable Antimatter Burst Torpedos which are in essense....Cardassian based weapons....get my drift?

Email GothThug {C?}
Page created in 0.019184 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR