No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +6.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Countdown
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Countdown
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-11-01 15:55   
Ten.

There were ten left. So be it, that was enough.

Captain Nathan Corbett looked back over his shoulder, a slider on the helmsman's monitor moved, and Captain Corbett nodded approvingly. The captain turned back towards the bridge window, red emergency lighting dimly cast him in a faint silhouette, barely visible on a thin film of dust and grime. One hand he placed on the window, other other against a bulkhead. Outside, staccato weapon fire danced in the darkness, brilliant lances of coherent light laced the void. The stars spun slowly, the ship's relative list hardly noticeable from the bridge.

Nathan stared out and watched the violence play out, nearly a kilometer distant, there was nothing he could do, though the distance was falling off in good order. In silence the captain was lost in thought, pondering his position within this sphere of death around him, a of war raging since before he was born. He thought of the synthetic cocoon in which he found himself, his first command, a new destroyer, built for assault. This ship had been his home for the past six months, since he'd graduated from the naval academy. So here he stood, at the spear point of 360 meters of death and destruction, and he pondered all these things and more.

A squadron of fighters orbited near the ship, pilots waiting for rescue after their carrier was lost, destroyed minutes ago by an enemy dreadnought. More ships, friend and foe alike, flared into incandescence and then nothingness. That didn't matter anymore. There were five left. A noise from behind brought the captain out of his reverie. A squad of infantry stood just inside the bridge doors, clad in the slate-gray armor of the Confederation's shock troops, rifles held to their shoulders, under slung lights darted around the darkness. Their commander, taller than the rest and with a broad blue stripe running diagonally from shoulder to hip, started forward towards the captain. He never made it. There were zero left.

The Assault Destroyer Halcon Amber glided through space, pitched battle raged beyond, around, and reverberated in her hull. Halcon Amber's sensor operator looked up. “Sir, new fighter group, more F-29s by their profile. Thirty degrees port, two kilometers out, sir.” The captain acknowledged this news with a nod of his head. “Very well Lieutenant Batav. Defense, status report.” Another officer consulted his screen for a moment “All facings in the green, just scratches so far. Armor holding, sir.”

Small ships darted around and between the larger ones, wheeling about like a flock of sparrows. Squadrons of A-34s chased F-29s, swarming around cruisers and dreadnoughts like a plague of gnats. Interceptors dove in and out of the furball, vanishing in the blink of an eye, some permanently. A transport lumbered across a far edge of the battlefield, hoping to slip through enemy lines unnoticed in the chaos. Fighters shoot past, arcing in towards the newest arrival, the destroyer Halcon Amber.

“Torus Leader to transport , need any help?”
“Torus, this is Black Jethon, would be appreciated. We're aiming for that destroyer out there, but he's got friends. Carrier just launched another interceptor flight and we'll have our hands full here.” The twelve fighters of Torus Squadron spits into six pairs and fans out, oncoming interceptors are now close enough to pick out amongst the stars. A quick message in pilot's shorthand was all Torus' commander needed. “Eyes, flitters in, racks four, blow through. Clear to dessie, on mark. (Look alive, we've got Interceptors inbound, arm four missiles and fire as you pass. Once clear, head in at the destroyer. Fire on my mark)”

On the Halcon Amber’s bridge, the sensor officer double checked his data. “Captain, multiple warhead contacts incoming, I count 16, 30, no, 48 inbound missiles!” The captain turned and stepped away from the bridge windows. “Guns, lasers on point defense, target warheads. Helm, ninety to starboard, accelerate to flank speed!” The communications officer stands up from his station, one hand on his headset. “Sir, carrier Mystic Leap reports she's directed a pair of interceptor squadrons our way, but...” “What happened to the interceptors?,” the captain asked. “First squadron, four losses, is currently engaging F-29s. Second squadron is… destroyed, sir.” Faint blue trails fly in at Halcon Amber’s aft port side, a few are picked off by lasers but not nearly enough. The missiles detonate against the hull causing noticeable damage. The fighters of Torus squadron close to gun range and starts raking over the Halcon Amber's engines. On the Halcon Amber’s bridge lights flicker sporadically as power from the engines fails, and the destroyer begins to roll and turn back to port in an effort to present her undamaged side towards the battlefront.

From three kilometers away, the combat dreadnought Dragon's Flare executes a precision point-jump across the arena and exits dead ahead of the harried Halcon Amber. The Dragon's Flare's lasers vaporize armor, rail guns pierce holes and torpedoes tear great gashes in Halcon Amber's hull. Black Jethon seizes the opportunity and swings in close, launching several infantry drop pods as Halcon Amber retaliates against the Dragon's Flare, full salvos directly into the dreadnought's shields at point blank range.

Deep inside, the drop pods disgorge their contents, six armed and armored commandos, who move with a purpose towards their singular objective, the Halcon Amber's bridge. Leading to the bride is a corridor, roughly ten meters long, but not empty. A quartet of the ships own defenders guards the doors at the far end, and their captain beyond. Several seconds slide by in silence, as the invaders stare down those that would bar their way. One twitches and a hailstorm of weapons fire ricochets from one end of the hall to the other. Wisps of smoke waft into the ventilation system, rising from smoldering craters on the walls, the floor, the chests of the defending infantry. Inside, on the bridge, the captain reaches over the body of an officer, other human forms lie motionless in the crimson darkness. He presses a switch, pauses for only a heartbeat, and then presses it a second time.

Six marines jog down the corridor to the bridge.
There were ten seconds left.

LobbyZombie
2nd Rear Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2007-11-01 15:59   
Thats ..... so .... frakking ... NICE!! 10+ to you !

Old am i not but what are you?

Email LobbyZombie
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2007-11-01 16:38   
I approve

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2007-11-01 16:50   
nice one.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-01 17:39   
Best. work of fiction. ever.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-11-01 17:55   
Good god.

Give me more.

MORE.

-Ent

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-11-01 18:26   
Pretty mental scenery in there, painted with a colorful palette. Can't wait for more to see where this goes...

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2007-11-01 18:46 ]

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-01 21:25   
Now that's the kind of thing I wanted to do with my own serie, to depict as many details as possible with the best possible vocabulary so as to light up the reader's imagination.

Alas, my mastery of english as a second language isn't up to my ideals yet.

Great work Doran, you're definately on the right track.

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-11-01 22:47   
Very very nice work Doran.

Keep that one coming!

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-02 03:29   
Doran best fiction ever! keep goin

Email GothThug {C?}
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-11-02 04:10   
Is this...THE FINAL COUNTDOWN?!

[ This Message was edited by: Crim on 2007-11-02 14:00 ]

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-02 07:11   
Quote:

On 2007-11-02 04:10, Crim wrote:
Is this...[i]THE FINAL COUNTDOWN?!

fail.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-02 07:55   
Quote:

On 2007-11-01, A number of people wrote:
Can't wait for more to see where this goes...

Goes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't everyone die at the end?

Unless Doran wants to go for Prequels, I don't think there's a lot left in this story.

That said, very engaging, Doran. I liked it.

Email Shigernafy
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-02 10:08   
Quote:

On 2007-11-02 07:55, IamReallyJosef wrote:

Goes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't everyone die at the end?

pfft, they bring them back in the sequel. they always do.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-11-02 12:15   
Well, given the exposition of the captain in the beginning and the use of specific ship names, and the apparent temporal twist midways through the fiction, I'm guessing there will be more in that same back, forth, here, there, style of story-telling.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031050 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR