Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Shipyard Abuse - Potential Fix
 Author Shipyard Abuse - Potential Fix
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-11-20 02:12   
As many of you may know, constantly popping in and out of a Shipyard to avoid damage, while returning fire or supplying, is considered an abuse of the game system.

I have been evaluating several possible fixes for this. One key consideration behind any potential fix is how it will change the balance between different ship classes. A second key issue is how would such a system work in real life? The third, and probably least important issue to consider is just how consistent is the idea with the current game universe.

Set timer - Has zero impact on ship class balance. Is not realistic. Medium consistency with game universe and other mechanics (self-destruct timer).

Scaled timer (Hull class) - Has medium impact on ship class balance. Is more realistic. Medium consistency with game universe (cloak timer).

Alignment timer - Has major impact on ship class balance. Is most realistic. High consistency with game universe (Jump drive alignment)

When taking these into account, please bear in mind that smaller ships will be much weaker in 1.484. We are constantly looking at ways to give them various advantages so that veteran players may well be found using them regularly. One other potential idea is to make 'newbie' ships immune to blockade, and to adjust blockade code so that only destroyers and above can cause it...

Goto the website of Drafell
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-20 05:33   
What does alignment timer even mean? I understand its relation to jumping, but aligning to dock? Aligning to appear? I don't get it.

But I'm just a dev, so I'm slow.

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2007-11-20 09:52   
It would work exactly like the jump drive timer. You click the planet, click the 'dock' button (if available) and as soon as your ship is aligned to dock (ie. pointing directly at the planets core) the ship will dock.

When you spawn, you are facing away from the planet, and so your ship will have to rotate 180 degrees before you are able to re-enter the shipyard. Smaller ships will naturally be able to dock and repsawn at a much faster rate than larger ships and stations. Shipyard abuse is not generally an issue with smaller ships, and it gives them yet another small advantage over their more cumbersome cousins. In 1.484 this will be vitally important to encourage use of these ships by veterans given their weaker armor.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2007-11-20 10:10 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2007-11-20 11:43   
I like the allignment idea, however i heard the idea that stations will be a lot tougher hullwise. wont the effect be still the same since they can last longer?

meaning by the time they turned 180 around they should be about at 20% hull or something?

- Axi

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-20 12:37   
Alignment Timer. That way during a blockade its most effective, but least effective when there are no enemies when you just want to dock instantly by jumping to a planet. Plus, with the new modding system, I don't think we will need to constantly go in and out of the shipyard to mod/fix devices.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-11-22 16:31   
I am highly resistant to any idea of a timer, as it restricts the smooth flow of the game in normal circumstances (with no enemy present)

Perhaps the best fix, in my opinion, would be to improve on the blockading code.

To explain, the blockading effect currently is mostly ineffective, as it only prevents ships from spawning it does not prevent them from docking.

A way could possibly devised however I am sure so that blockading could also prevent docking, requiring a certain number of ships within a specified range for a certain period of time.

I'm sure its been discussed before, every ship having a point value, every planet having a point value as well, if the ship point value (unseen) exceeds the planetary value (also unseen), and within a set distance (less than 3k gu), then the planet would become blockaded after a certain amount of time. (and hopefully be visible to (both the faction's owners and enemy ships as well).

This sort of likens to sieging in olden times, and blockading in modern times, which halted all products and people attempting to leave or enter an established place.

Also as an unrelated note, it would be nice if the timers on things like planet captures, blocading, etc., were visible.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2007-11-22 17:56   
I agree with enterprise. A blockade is exactly that - nobody gets in, nobody gets out of a certain area.

However, the blockade code is indeed a bit.....unoptimized. It could use some tweaking and hard coded number values. Also, sometimes, blockades don't resist properly for a noticiable period of time

also: cloaked ships cannot blockade.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2007-11-23 10:08   
Quote:

On 2007-11-22 16:31, Enterprise wrote:
I am highly resistant to any idea of a timer, as it restricts the smooth flow of the game in normal circumstances (with no enemy present)

Perhaps the best fix, in my opinion, would be to improve on the blockading code.

To explain, the blockading effect currently is mostly ineffective, as it only prevents ships from spawning it does not prevent them from docking.

A way could possibly devised however I am sure so that blockading could also prevent docking, requiring a certain number of ships within a specified range for a certain period of time.

I'm sure its been discussed before, every ship having a point value, every planet having a point value as well, if the ship point value (unseen) exceeds the planetary value (also unseen), and within a set distance (less than 3k gu), then the planet would become blockaded after a certain amount of time. (and hopefully be visible to (both the faction's owners and enemy ships as well).

This sort of likens to sieging in olden times, and blockading in modern times, which halted all products and people attempting to leave or enter an established place.

Also as an unrelated note, it would be nice if the timers on things like planet captures, blocading, etc., were visible.

Well good idea but with one flaw, the 3k limit as u said must be lower then 2k. Because if not then "enemies" can just sit rigth outside a planet and just wait for it to get less def and so on. Some migth say that you players are online to prevent that, but as u all know, the mv dont have ppl on at all times.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2007-11-24 12:55   
Quote:

On 2007-11-23 10:08, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny] wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-22 16:31, Enterprise wrote:

Well good idea but with one flaw, the 3k limit as u said must be lower then 2k. Because if not then "enemies" can just sit rigth outside a planet and just wait for it to get less def and so on. Some migth say that you players are online to prevent that, but as u all know, the mv dont have ppl on at all times.

Taking into account that planetary defence reaches out to 2k and that it is more than capable of utterly destroying anything that comes into range, I think beyond 2k is reasonable.

As any combat force that tried to fight within planet defence range wouldn't stand a chance, it would force enemy defenders to come out instead of planet camping.

We want to discourage planet camping, not give more reasons to right? Of course the enemy defenders can just sit and wait, possibly using long range weapons until the enemy actually comes out or enough bombers come along.

-Ent

Page created in 0.021159 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR