Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Clan made Planet/Cluster and what u think
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Clan made Planet/Cluster and what u think
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2008-01-15 02:11   
I had a recent chat with a great Admin and we go onto the subject of a Clan having its own planet or cluster of planets, i do not mean that the clan captures a pre-existing planet, i mean that the clans admin(maker) could choose where to posision their own clan planet or cluster, name it and have control over it(when it is 1st made). When we had this discusion we come to the conclusion that it is possible and quite easy to do the only problam was how to determin weather the clan deserved (had the stats) to do it. The reason i have opened this topic is to hear what the community of DS thinks about this. All ideas are welcome and I would like to hear what u think. If this topic gets enugh posts then it may yet become a reality for all the clans that deserve (have the stats) it.

Point Of No Return
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-01-15 02:34   
I think it would be a great idea, but the only question is that how would a clan have the stats to actually get the planet. like should it be based on the pres of the clan, or should it be based on the clans numbers. or something else. not just every fleet should be able to do it. or the MV wouldent be the same.
I think personally that it should be based on the number of the fleet. like 20 or something. to prove tat the fleet is worthy of having a planet. and if the clan has like 25 or 30 + for members then it should have the option to have a cluster of planets and not just 1

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 07:53   
Fun idea. Maybe numbers of the clan affect the ammount of planets (as already stated), and the score value affects the size of each planet (or maybe just the main planet in the cluster). I don't know, but, fun idea.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 08:45   
And what do non-clan players get. they are just as important to this game as clan players.

Once way of playing really shouldn't be favored over another.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-01-15 09:01   
Quote:

On 2008-01-15 08:45, Daedalus wrote:
And what do non-clan players get. they are just as important to this game as clan players.

Once way of playing really shouldn't be favored over another.

They get the rest of the planets?

Think of it like a guild crest and a guild bank. Every other MMO has them for guilds, it's an incentive to joining a guild.

Of course it shouldnt be free for the fleets to just get a planet/cluster, should be some form of payment for it. (RL money?)

Email Supertrooper
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 09:25   
Quote:

On 2008-01-15 09:01, Crim {Pants?} wrote:
Of course it shouldnt be free for the fleets to just get a planet/cluster, should be some form of payment for it. (RL money?)

Shig had a great idea

50 USD - get your name and face as a planet forever

75 USD - Add a safezone to the previous idea.

Riley(retired)
Midshipman

Posted: 2008-01-15 11:05   
i'd pay it

Purple
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 12:21   
well that seems like a great idea however i dont know if it will work to everyones liking. see there are clans that have many people in them and they are very active such as FS,LAG,CEC,etc. but there are clans that only have one or two people on a week. what do we do with those clans. we cant give an entire cluster to a clan who is hardly active however it would not be fair to give a cluster to a some clans and not others. i think if we can find a way to solve this problem that this idea would work very nicely. one thing we could try is to giv a cluster to more then one clans. in other words let the big active clans have their own clusters/planets and have smaller less active clans share clusters/planets.

Point Of No Return
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-01-15 13:54   
Im not sure about the whole payment thing, but i did see the part about the amount of players weekly, i would definatly thing that clans like FS, LAG, ect should get clusters just becuse sense the clan is bigger the and more users are on, but for the smaller clans(non-named) should get a planet and if the clan grows then they should be able to expand into a cluster.

Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 14:24   
I personally think the best way to decide whether a clan deserves a planet of cluster should be determinded by 1 of 2 things: #1 the clan should have exleast 5 active players a week to own a planet, 10 for a cluster. #2 The fleet should have an amount of points(not sure what) but the number should be high, the higher the pres the better chance of having a cluster.
(i also dont like the payment thing becuse i am for 1 not sure who exactly would pay and i dont have all that much money.)

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 17:37   
This may be a good Idea, for if Command and Influence are reintroducted.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 18:39   
That would be another great thing to do with it, like 2 birds with 1 stone.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-01-15 19:30   
Planets/Clusters simply are too big (and potent) of a constant addition to the game for each qualifying clan, as the MV is a persistent universe whose sole goal is to provide the area of crippling your enemy by besieging their worlds simply becomes moot.

After all, planets are all owned by a faction, even if it 'belongs' to a clan it can still be used by anyone in the faction, therefore another potent, if far flung base of operations.

Which given that its a planet, and considering future versions, seems unfeasible to me.

Perhaps in the future when platforms are (finally) finished and ready to be used, bases could be constructed by a fleet admin with the appropriate funds/skills, and in the right area and therefore be a more realistic and feasible ability in the game.

Of course, this is farther flung into the future of DS, and speculative.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2008-01-15 19:33 ]

RonZo *FC*
Chief Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-01-15 21:16   
Sounds fun but difficult About payment doubt will work.

My opinion is that are always like most 3 clans on each faction that are active and high ranked (check fleet rankings), so, theres HOME systems. Inside home systems a clan can take a cluster, like MYcopia changed to Fatal Squadron planet, and other planets named after their fleet administrators.. mmmfff.. i really dont see much on this.. will be very complicated and unfair to other players...

Just quote that ACTIVE and VETS players could own a planet for their time and money spent on this game...

RonZo

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-15 22:05   
For the record on the payment issue, while I'm not fundamentally opposed to such an idea, the current payment system doesn't support arbitrary payments, coupon purchases, or the like. Thus, we'd have to change that first to support buying planets.
And the face thing was because of some fun I was having with putting people's faces on planets in the resourcer; it wasn't really intended to go into the game.

As for later in the thread: Enterprise, I'm seeing two somewhat competing ideas in your thread, and am somewhat confused by them and hope you can respond again to clarify.

Planets are large and permanent fixtures in the galaxy, and of course are open to everyone of the faction which owns them. But at the moment, it doesn't really matter if its "owned" by a fleet, since that fleet gets no benefit from them, at least not above and beyond what they would get from any other planet. So in that regard, setting their initial ownership to the fleet after which they are named (or not) doesn't really matter, and Palestar would make no claims as to their ownership after they were created, because it can't be controlled.. at least with current code.

I don't really know what that has to do with anything, though. Basically, I don't think I understand your problem with the system.

Also, platforms will be destroyable, so that seems like a lot less of an exciting fleet reward, especially since, as they're currently conceived, there's no requirement beyond an engineer and some resources required to build one.
Which is my second point: Platforms are actively being worked on for this patch, and your ideas about them don't seem to jive with what I have heard about how they will be used. Do you have a suggestion, then, about how to use them?

As for the proposal in general, it is not technically difficult to do, as you have likely seen due to the frequency of random MV changes. The problem is equity: how do you develop a system which fairly rewards those who should be while not providing rewards to those who don't deserve any? And how do you determine who deserves what?

On an entirely personal level - not as a staff member - I feel like a simple number of players + total prestige is overly simplistic and doesn't really get at a lot of what the MV is about. On the other hand, how do you measure fame, influence, importance, and contribution? Do we just have players propose a fleet be honored, and then have a public vote on their worthiness? Or should we stick purely to quantifiable measures - only planets owned, prestige, player numbers, subscription history, etc? I like having some measure of popularity play into it because I think that better gets at why fleets are important, but there are obviously problems inherent in that.

Plus, from a staff standpoint, we don't want to have the rules lax enough that every week there's a new fleet graduating to planet-naming status, as that's a headache.. yet not have it so restricted that it never happens (if this does happen at all).

Though that brings up another point - when are the planets named? Do we update clusters at patches? Do we do it live whenever necessary? What's the rationale for planets random changing their names, at least from an in-game or fictional standpoint (which isn't necessary, but would be nice to have more of)? Do fleets ever get their clusters taken away if they drop below a threshold, or is the fame of having a planet enough to ensure they keep a planet? What if we run out of planets? Which existing planets shouldn't be changed (at minimum, I'll say now that home clusters and R33 are off-limits, whatever happens)? How about suns (and therefore systems)? Should we just take everything but the home systems and rename them to "Unclaimed Object #1972" and then slowly give them away as fleets (and players?) become qualified by whatever process is determined to own a planet?

Anyway, I've raised a lot of questions and provided few thoughts of my own.. but as a staff member who would likely have primary responsibility for this feature, I have a lot of things which are still outstanding in my mind. Maybe if we get some more proposals, more details, this can allay some of my concerns and lead us more towards a point where the staff can decide on what to do with this sort of idea.

So please, post away. I'd like to see this more developed.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2008-01-15 22:19 ]

Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.017510 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR