Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Semi Balance the MV Map
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Semi Balance the MV Map
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-01-25 18:02   
Quote:

On 2008-01-25 17:11, Shigernafy wrote:
You'll notice there's already a count of ship class on your faction on the nav map - a nice little listing of # of ships, and the type of each. So in theory we can just use that data; give each class a weighting and then base the pres variable off that.

However, that would also require the recalculation of pres values every time there's a new ship on the field. In that case, rank would be the easier way to go since we just update it when a new player joins the server. And rank, even if the player doesn't choose the max ship they can get, in theory correlates with skill.. so if you have a GA in a cruiser, they're in theory more threatening than a 2RA in a cruiser. In that regard, they should be ranked higher, right?

Just throwing out ideas.. I like where this is going.

Even in a fictional standpoint it makes sense, fighting against impossible odds, knowing your chances are slim, very prestigious acts right?

I think it would, in my opinion, be better based on class of ship being used on all factions. The next version will herald a balance of sorts, with dreadnoughts being useful and such once more. You'd think a swarm of scouts against a couple dreads would be something akin to suicide, and more prestigious in a sense of thinking in a fictional way.

More work, yes, but more fair I think. In my opinion, the team with more players would not incur any penalty, but teams with less players would get a percent increase in prestige, depending on how bad the odds are tipped against them. It would encourage fleetless people to hop across factions for the extra gain.

But.. theres still one very disconcerting problem.

What about GAs? They dont need prestige. Such a system wouldnt effect nor bother them. So what about them, what incentives do they have to balance it out?

-Ent

Dionysian *EP5* (Angel of Destruction)
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-01-25 18:53   
Quote:

On 2008-01-25 18:02, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-01-25 17:11, Shigernafy wrote:
You'll notice there's already a count of ship class on your faction on the nav map - a nice little listing of # of ships, and the type of each. So in theory we can just use that data; give each class a weighting and then base the pres variable off that.

However, that would also require the recalculation of pres values every time there's a new ship on the field. In that case, rank would be the easier way to go since we just update it when a new player joins the server. And rank, even if the player doesn't choose the max ship they can get, in theory correlates with skill.. so if you have a GA in a cruiser, they're in theory more threatening than a 2RA in a cruiser. In that regard, they should be ranked higher, right?

Just throwing out ideas.. I like where this is going.

Even in a fictional standpoint it makes sense, fighting against impossible odds, knowing your chances are slim, very prestigious acts right?

I think it would, in my opinion, be better based on class of ship being used on all factions. The next version will herald a balance of sorts, with dreadnoughts being useful and such once more. You'd think a swarm of scouts against a couple dreads would be something akin to suicide, and more prestigious in a sense of thinking in a fictional way.

More work, yes, but more fair I think. In my opinion, the team with more players would not incur any penalty, but teams with less players would get a percent increase in prestige, depending on how bad the odds are tipped against them. It would encourage fleetless people to hop across factions for the extra gain.

But.. theres still one very disconcerting problem.

What about GAs? They dont need prestige. Such a system wouldnt effect nor bother them. So what about them, what incentives do they have to balance it out?

-Ent

What about some kind of bravery badge - IRL you'd get a victoria cross or Congressional medal of honour for fighting against superior forces and hurthing them a lot.

Maybe for a GA - if they jump onto a side where the pres bonus is in place they get a faction specific medal IF they gain a certain amount of pres. Could tier the medals as we do at the moment.

Perhaps you could then link the medal into some of the useless devices that were also discussed. (assuming you could add a special useless device slot to ships easily)

|Kakashi|
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-25 22:58   
Like i said, to troublesome

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.008272 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR