No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +23.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Audio virus problem
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Audio virus problem
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-01-25 22:23   
Ok. I am at the end of my knowledge on this.

I have some kind of virus or spyware or something in my computer. It whispers very quiet statements (meaningless garbage statements, like "Oh God, help me." or "We are the disciples of *unable to understand rest*".

In truth, this does not bother me. The statements occur at very low volume and only a couple times a day. The problem is that the audio signal they are sent on is open ALL THE TIME. When there is no whisper being played, I hear this constant high-pitched tone over all other audio and even when there is no audio on my computer playing at all.

I have done my Kaspersky scan, Spybot scan, wiped my temporary internet files. I have even tried turning off various processes to try to cut the tone. Nothing works (and cutting off processes usually causes computer to restart without warning).

Any thoughts on what I have and how to fix it?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-25 23:46   
if you can bear with it, delete your system32 folder and reinstall windows

no, i'm serious.

However, putting some thought into this........if their is a program running in the background that is playing random sound clips, it's going to have the following characterics in your Task Manager:

-mem usage
-CPU time
-Probably oddly named

Also, try searching your entire hard drive for .wav or .mp3 files. Note oddly placed ones in your windows directory (oddly named, wierd size/location, et cetra). Make sure you have "view hidden files on" and all those advanced options

Also, it could be the radio. No, i'm serious, My speakers used to pick up radio signals during certain parts of the day, in certain positions. It was quite queer until I removed them from touching the metal parts of my desk my computer is on

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-01-25 23:57   
Thanks. Ill take another look around. Keep in mind this computer is less than a month out of the store. This means that I have no problem with simply reformatting and reinstalling my games (since I have only put 2 on here so far). It would take a few hours, but it would fix the problem.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-26 00:55   
Ah, then that might be a better chance. Before you do that, download the following:

-A firewall (I recommend Sygate)
-Antivirii program (I use Avast, doesn't really matter)
-Spybot search and Destroy
-Drivers (don't forget this!)
-Any other programs you run in the background

burn everything to a disc, or even a flash drive. Maybe get a friend to help you

then wipe your disk clean, install windows, and slap up the firewall first thing. Reboot, then go through installing everything.

But really, you're lucky it happened early on and you can just wipe everything ^^.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-26 01:22   
Quote:

On 2008-01-25 23:46, His Excellency Marquis Fattierob wrote:
if you can bear with it, delete your system32 folder and reinstall windows

no, i'm serious.

However, putting some thought into this........if their is a program running in the background that is playing random sound clips, it's going to have the following characterics in your Task Manager:

-mem usage
-CPU time
-Probably oddly named

Also, try searching your entire hard drive for .wav or .mp3 files. Note oddly placed ones in your windows directory (oddly named, wierd size/location, et cetra). Make sure you have "view hidden files on" and all those advanced options

Also, it could be the radio. No, i'm serious, My speakers used to pick up radio signals during certain parts of the day, in certain positions. It was quite queer until I removed them from touching the metal parts of my desk my computer is on

fatties right, it actually can be that your speakers are intercepting radio signals. I actually get it sometimes during the middle of the day when the speakers are left on (even when the computer is off).

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-26 01:35   
It could take a while, but I've also gone through and googled the name of every running process on the task manager when I think something is a bit wonky with the computer, just to be sure.

Run msconfig and see what you have checked for Services and Startup. Make sure you know what each entry is, or the folder its linked to. If you don't recognize something (though a lot of things like graphics drivers will load a dozen little programs for various things, so not everything foreign looking is malicious) google it as well; see if it shows up anywhere as a virus. There are quite a few sites that just catalog Windows processes, so you should always get a hit for a legitimate program.

Everyone else covers good points too.. and if it really is a virus and nothing in your processes looks funny, there's always formatting and re-installing. See if moving your speakers helps though, if it is the radio, I guess... i have no experience there.

Email Shigernafy
MonkeyMan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-01-26 01:48   
lol................

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-26 03:39   
it also could be "Ghosts"!!!!!!! yep....its been known to happen sometimes...

Email GothThug {C?}
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-01-26 03:43   
i have the radio intercepting thing, it sounds a good bit like it, sometimes i can make out a word.
I dont really mind it, i would simply like it to be louder so i can actually hear what it says:P

jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-01-26 07:16   
Firstly, you're completely insane and hear voices.

Secondly, you can use process explorer (it is considerably more advanced than task manager) to track down any dubious offenders.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2008-01-26 07:17 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2008-01-26 08:25   
I had the same problem and was unable to find it *also waaaay to lazy*

what i do after i installed and configured my windows XP is make an image of that said system with Norton Ghost.

when i feel my system is going nuts i just ghost the drive to my personal standard again. 1 clean reinstall in 30 min.

- Axi

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-01-26 10:14   
The strange things is I have TWO firewalls running (Kaspersky and Windows). I dont see how this thing got in. It's really frustrating me. I would think I was just going crazy except my roommate has the same thing on his computer too.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-26 10:41   
This Link will allow you to search for processes you have running in yoru task manager and it will usally tell you what it does, and if it's spy ware. As long as it has it in it's database.

Also whenever I get virius I can't seem to flush out I have my go to program that I like to use. For me I have had a lot of luck using A-squared. I install it, update it, and then drop into safe mode and keep scanning until it doesn't find anything.

Here is a Link for a squared.

[ This Message was edited by: Smartin on 2008-01-26 11:02 ]

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-01-27 07:13   
Quote:
The strange things is I have TWO firewalls running (Kaspersky and Windows).

That's not strange; that's a massive failure in understanding.

Firewalls do not increase in effectiveness as you install more them; quite the opposite.

You need one good firewall. That's it. You might have a hardware firewall in front of you as a router, but it is usually wise to also have one that monitors programs on your Windows machine.

Having two software firewalls--generally speaking--creates way more problems than it is worth. Most real software firewalls won't let you install them until you get rid of all 3rd party/native firewalls on your machine. What a silly concept, anyhow?

A firewall's purpose is to close down incoming/outgoing ports that aren't authorized by particular processes. If a firewall fails in this task, in any way, it is not a proper firewall. Therefore, running two of them is pointless.

Aside from the inherent conflicts generated from running two at once, there is absolutely no reason to do so. That'd be like having four ass-cheeks. It's not going to make you crap any faster.

[ This Message was edited by: dj42 {C?} on 2008-01-27 07:19 ]
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

FlyD4wn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-01-27 07:26   
Quote:

On 2008-01-26 03:43, Sixkiller *CL* wrote:
i have the radio intercepting thing, it sounds a good bit like it, sometimes i can make out a word.
I don't really mind it, i would simply like it to be louder so i can actually hear what it says:P

When I forget to turn my speakers off in the night, I mostly every time hear Chinese singing, lol and some German voices, also very weird, but if I turn up the volume they disappear(or when I turn them off)

Email FlyD4wn
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023013 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR