No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » GCQL crashing after Windows Update...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
 Author GCQL crashing after Windows Update...
Arexx
Cadet

Posted: 2008-08-30 02:09   
You're crazy right? I'm new to this game, JUST activated the 15 day free trial and now I can't play it until someone releases a patch?

I'm NOT turning off updates, nor am I uninstalling a security patch. If I have to do that to play a game, than the game goes. I haven't had a virus or other problems with my system for a long time now and I won't take chances.

Just so you know, uninstalling this patch will do no good as Windows will automatically re-install it unless you disable updates (which would be a really stupid thing for anyone to do).

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-08-30 02:16   
Quote:

On 2008-08-30 02:09, Arexx wrote:
You're crazy right? I'm new to this game, JUST activated the 15 day free trial and now I can't play it until someone releases a patch?

I'm NOT turning off updates, nor am I uninstalling a security patch. If I have to do that to play a game, than the game goes. I haven't had a virus or other problems with my system for a long time now and I won't take chances.

Just so you know, uninstalling this patch will do no good as Windows will automatically re-install it unless you disable updates (which would be a really stupid thing for anyone to do).

Or you could install the beta client, which has no problems, and can use both beta and release versions of the games

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Undead Patriot
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-04 09:11   
i removed the security update. but it still crashes whenever i start it up. is there something else i need to do to fix it?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-09-04 09:13   
Quote:

On 2008-09-04 09:11, ericf.patriot wrote:
i removed the security update. but it still crashes whenever i start it up. is there something else i need to do to fix it?

Simple fix - download GCQL 2.0 here. Technically, it's used for testing DarkSpace 1.500 (the new version of DarkSpace currently in beta testing). But we've made changes to allow it to run the current release version too (1.483.6).

Enjoy.

- Jack

Nax
Marshal

Posted: 2008-09-04 11:08   
Quote:[/small]

On 2008-08-30 02:09, Arexx wrote:

The earlier suggestions of downloading and using the Beta Client works very well - uninstalling the patch works, but you don't have to.

However, a comment - you are incorrect about needing to disable updates completely to avoid a specific item. If you deselect automatic installation (Windows gives you at least three choices, automatic download & install, automatic download with a prompt to install & manual download/install. That's in addition to just plain navigating to the website and doing it yourself.

If you deselect the first option (automatic install), you'll be provided a list of updates. If you look at the custom option (not express), you can deselect a single item (or more). At the end of the process, Windows will remind you that you haven't installed everything and whether you would like WindowsUpdate to ignore the specific updates you deselected from then on.

Aka, you can choose not to install specific updates and you can avoid anything automatic or even being prompted to reinstall.

As to the wisdom of all this - I would agree, it may be a bad idea for some users to turn off anything. That's just a decision you'll have to make yourself.

Nax

[ This Message was edited by: Nax on 2008-09-04 11:10 ]

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-09-04 11:17   
I have tried and found a solution for this issue. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate edition. I had the same problem 2 months ago after I re-subed ds. Try to do this --->>>> Remove updates that mentioned---->>>> install them again -WHILE- darkspace gcql running.

Works realy fine for me gcql client or if you dont want to mess up for any reason with your computer use beta.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-09-04 14:55   
I would highly recommend just using GCQL 2.0 instead of removing any of the security updates. It bypasses the requirement for them to be uninstalled.

darklazer
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-09-05 06:26   
sad

[ This Message was edited by: darklazer on 2008-09-05 06:27 ]

walks_in2_trees
Cadet

Posted: 2008-09-27 17:40   
I agree that I should not have to disable or uninstall any windows patches
especially since those issues were dated 2006... I don't have that IE patch installed any way. so what's this other version that's mentioned? I tried to download some updates from the "downloads" link on the sidebar there and got a "page not found" error.

When I ran the tutorial , it downloaded some things, and ran fine with the exception of some things that didn't happen that should have, but I restarted the tuorial and it ran great the second time through.

Right when I first log in to play the trial, before the lobby comes on screen, it checks for updates, but when the lobby comes up on screen it crashes

I even tried a beta version that someone mentioned, but the issue persists.
I'm running XP, Nvidea geforce 7600

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-09-27 17:52   
Uninstall DarkSpace (Both beta and release versions).

Download GCQL 2.0: http://beta.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=files.php&download_id=222

Once you have installed that, go to the "Launch" tab, left click on "DarkSpace", and click the "Install" button below the tabs.

Once that's done, you're ready to play the game however you want - you can even participate in the up-coming DarkSpace content and balance patch (1.5).

Please bare in mind that GCQL 2.0 is currently a beta program - it works perfectly, but there will be oddities at times when we make changes.

Also note that currently there are chat issues in the lobby - only with text formatting though, so it doesn't affect play.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2008-09-27 17:53 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Page created in 0.050535 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR