No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » GCQL crashing after Windows Update...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author GCQL crashing after Windows Update...
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-17 00:59   
crap...having the same problems. my EAD services are out of service until an update is rolled out.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
MonkeyMan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-17 11:09   
Quote:

On 2008-02-16 15:49, Drink'n Fritz'd Cannons Slinki wrote:

It is fixed in beta, so it is fixed, and there are far too many Issues which you don't and can't understand that would stop them from rolling this one update into Darkspace Alpha.

Uninstalled the update, is users choice entirely, but so far no users have found any form of errors by removing it, whilst updating is integral, this is an IE7 Update, a security update, so, If you have a firewall, or are behind a router with a firewall then you are more than likely safe from anything ever happening.

I highly doubt removing this one update, will cause any form of error.

Well by stating that you "Doubt" it would cause a problem, says that you actually have no idea whether it would or would not, "nor do I" but I can tell you some horror stories about uninstalling security updates, sometimes caused certain apps to fail, "usually because of an ms mod", and a couple of times i've seen it cause an BSOD NTLDIR.dll can not be found or is corrupted. so i wouldn't recommend it, do it if you like....... as usual you people will do whatever you want but maybe this post will serve as a clue as to what you did wrong, lol.

P.S. your firewall will NOT protect you from a IE security hole, hence the use of the word "Hole". der, If IE can connect to the internet its vulnerable to this threat, But thats not the issue at hand anyway.......

[ This Message was edited by: CHUD on 2008-02-17 11:20 ]

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-17 12:33   
Yes but your looking at it from an extreme view, fine, if you have problems with IE7 either uninstall the security update and be able to play darkspace, or get firefox or another browser, it makes no difference to me.

And, I highly doubt that anyone here will have something as extreme as you stated, uninstall the update, you'll be fine.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
MonkeyMan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-18 06:18   
Quote:

On 2008-02-17 12:33, Drink'n Fritz'd Cannons Slinki wrote:
Yes but your looking at it from an extreme view, fine, if you have problems with IE7 either uninstall the security update and be able to play darkspace, or get firefox or another browser, it makes no difference to me.

And, I highly doubt that anyone here will have something as extreme as you stated, uninstall the update, you'll be fine.

Its rather ignorant to tell ppl that "You will be fine" when you haven't a clue whether or not it will, there are many many dependancies that you are unaware of, and depending on system specific information the uninstallation of these updates can cause unexpected results. As a 27 year old with 10+ years of experience I suggest to you all to take caution when doing so, I won't be posting again, as always i'm trying to disuade the misinformation that could cause ppl serious problems if they belive it and don't allow for the fact that they may indeed be wrong....

P.S. If you value the stability of your system, you would NEVER completely remove IE, unless your willing to edit some reg keys.... "depending on what your installing" certain proggys have IE dependancies!!

[ This Message was edited by: CHUD on 2008-02-18 06:19 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-18 06:39   
Just to remove some of the FUD in here:

The security update to IE7 fixes a minor flaw that only people with no AV protection should be worried about. God only knows why they decided to patch the PNG security flaw this way - but they have.

Also, removing IE from your OS will mean you can't use GCQL. GCQL uses the IE engine to render the sites inside of the client - removing IE means GCQL will crash on launch, and no - we won't be moving over to Gecko any time soon.

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2008-02-18 06:56   
We could move to Gecko, but it means we have to package the Gecko engine into GQCL, which means increasing the initial GCQL download to something approaching 30mb. I am not sure of the exact figures, though.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2008-02-18 13:27   
i have just gone through this post about 3 times. and i did everything. disabled auto update. removed the security patch and still i cant play darkspace. and it is realy pissing me of. so somebody plz tell me what i did wrong.

Timbo
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2008-02-18 14:48   
I've done it all to and it has reinstalled itself 5 times!

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-18 14:51   
Go to http://update.microsoft.com and do the custom install. Go to the high priority updates and cilck the + next to the IE6/7 update(After you have it uninstalled, of course). Click the checkmark that has "Ignore this update in the future".

If you use Firefox, either go to the site in IE or get the IE tab addon to load the site in FF.

Or turn off automatic updates(choose "notify me when updates are available but do not download them").. Then just ignore the update everytime it shows up..

[ This Message was edited by: Julian Delphiki on 2008-02-18 14:52 ]

LobbyZombie
2nd Rear Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-02-18 14:58   
I have no firewalls, no antiviruses and no routerfirewall AND still I haven't yet got any viruses or nothing ..

Old am i not but what are you?

Email LobbyZombie
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-18 19:14   
i have an idea. how about releasing the beta GCQL? it could fix the IE problem without people having to uninstall Windows Updates.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2008-02-19 14:33   
TY for telling julian. but that still doesn't fix my problem. even with the update not installed or anything else that can bug the game and i still can't play ds.

Timbo
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-20 06:26   
Quote:

On 2008-02-18 19:14, leonide *SL1* wrote:
i have an idea. how about releasing the beta GCQL? it could fix the IE problem without people having to uninstall Windows Updates.

Because the GCQL 2.0 is designed to work with the re-structured DarkSpace (1.484), not 1.483.

DarkInterceptor
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-20 08:06   
Quote:

On 2008-02-16 19:27, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:
well ive noticed a bug, ever since i uninstalled that security thingy my computer lags alot more in mv...dunno if this has anything to do with it but im having some problems in mv and i realy dont have any clue whats wrong...done all virus scans/spyware and nothing...

im having the same problems since i uninstalled the update my cpu is running much higher than normal i run at 22% with nothing running

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-20 15:08   
TEMPORARY FIX TO BYPASS GCQL

First off log into the website using your favourite browser, click the "Profile" button:

You should see the section "&sid=1234567890" in the address bar as part of the URL. We're interested in only those numbers, so copy and paste those.

Please do not tell this id to anyone else - SID stands for SESSION ID, and means anyone can log into the website or game temporarily whilst this ID is active.

After this is done go to your DarkSpace directory (where you installed DarkSpace). Create a shortcut to Client.exe by right clicking on it, and selecting "Create Shortcut".

You will see an icon appear at the botton of your directory called "Shortcut to Client.exe". Right click on this, and select "Properties".

In the target field, copy the information from the picture below, replacing "SID" with your session ID. Do not remove the destination to Client.exe, just tag the information you see in the field on the end of yours.

Once done, your target entry should look like this:
C:DarkSpaceClient.exe cygnus.palestar.com 9020 1234567890

Click "OK" and double click on the shortcut - you should now be connecting to the Metaverse.

Your session ID is only valid for as long as you have your browser open, and you are logged in. If you close your browser, and log back in, your session ID will likely have changed, and you will need to replace the shortcut SID with the new one.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2008-02-20 15:12 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023379 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR