No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » State of the game?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author State of the game?
DarkScorpion
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-03-12 07:25   
i think we all got ideas whats killing or have killed DS as some people say
but what steps can and will be taken to resolve the state of them game
is the important question at hand

Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-12 08:33   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 07:20, Fattierob wrote:

Because the people that work on it are volunteer. Except Faustus, who has another job coding for a different company.

I think that should be a little more like,

"Because the people that work on it are volunteer. Except Faustus, who doesn't take this job very seriously has overextended himself, doesn't want to spend money to hire somebody to code this game and has another job coding for a different company."

Just sayin, cuz I think most of us wonder what were paying for..

P.S. Whatcha gonna do when IE8 is released??? You cant even seem to patch the current problem with the gcql, oh my, jeez louise, holy moley, and a zippity do da day. :/

[ This Message was edited by: Reeves-81 on 2008-03-12 08:34 ]

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-03-12 09:08   
Im gonna go with a positive note and say its surviving & still fun to play. Not like the old days, but still fun to play if your not the whining type.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2008-03-12 09:41   
I'd like to go in sanity's direction, and leave a positive comment. The game is still very fun to play, even if the player base is dwindling (let's hope it's temporary). I still find no other game even half as addictive as DS, and I'm still in love.

However, to respond to "why is the player base so low/why is the game dying", instead of giving weekly patches to simply fix the bugs of each patch, months of time is put into coding an entirely different patch, which is illogical. If you have something amazing (think .480), and you constantly change that to be as different as possible, you're never going to reach the same high again. What's killing DS is the patches. All that comes out is a whole new list of bugs, and a whole new way to wish there would be a roll back. For every new patch, is a worse game, it's inevitable.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to leave a constructive comment. If the DS response would stop being "That's not how it works" and more "It's change, or die", the game might bounce back.

Sadly we're stuck in a state of waiting for the next patch to make or break the most fun game I've ever played.

DjArcas
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2008-03-12 09:55   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 07:20, Fattierob wrote:

Because the people that work on it are volunteer. Except Faustus, who has another job coding for a different company.

Awesome. I'm a professional games coder with 10 years' experience. Where do I sign up to lend a hand?

[ This Message was edited by: Mersenne Twister on 2008-03-13 09:11 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-03-12 10:01   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 09:55, DjArcas wrote:

Awesome. I'm a professional games coder with 10 years' experience. Where do I sign up to lend a hand?

Drafell, Doran, or Backy. Ask them

Latrodectus
Captain

Posted: 2008-03-12 11:53   
I admit, its amazing that ds is still...a little less dead. I love this game. it would make me cry if it "DIED" but yea...we need to do something. Something that will bring in new players.

IM starting an advertisment campaign.

I wont let this go down without a fight.

deathblave
Marshal

Posted: 2008-03-12 12:46   
ive been sending emails to ever friend i know trying to get more players on ive got a few and im hoping for the rest to follow

Email deathblave
Latrodectus
Captain

Posted: 2008-03-12 13:29   
Deffinetly send me an e-mail. im working on two different projects to try and save ds.

Sorensench1@wsdmail.net

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-03-12 15:04   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 09:41, Fatal Xpli$it wrote:
"why is the player base so low/why is the game dying",

I KNOW I KNOW!!!

But before my rant and possibly piss some of you off, I am stating that yes, I have tried games like EvE, and Warcraft, and many others.

Ok...

1) most people looking for a game want nice sparkly crazy graphics because their small brain cant grasp a purley fun game.
EX: EvE players

2) or they want to have to buy expansion packs every 3-4 months and a million options in a game that could cause the more mature game player to say "screw this, im gettin drunk".
EX: WoW players

3) Its a small community, and in my opinion, many game players dont like that. I do like it, but I think the mass consumer base of mmorpg's look for a obscene ammount of people to talk to...about not much really.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
DjArcas
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2008-03-12 15:13   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 15:04, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:

1) most people looking for a game want nice sparkly crazy graphics because their small brain cant grasp a purley fun game.
EX: EvE players

True enough. Darkspace used to look amazing, but any game that shufties along at 1500 fps on my laptop with on-board graphics could possibly do with a little graphics love.

Quote:

2) or they want to have to buy expansion packs every 3-4 months and a million options in a game that could cause the more mature game player to say "screw this, im gettin drunk".
EX: WoW players

...there's only been on WoW expansion pack in 4 years. Now, EVERQUEST...

Quote:

3) Its a small community, and in my opinion, many game players dont like that. I do like it, but I think the mass consumer base of mmorpg's look for a obscene ammount of people to talk to...about not much really.

Best thing about DS, tbh. If I ask a stupid question, I get NICE, FRIENDLY answers, instead of "lol noob go bak 2 dedmines"

Ofc, I might not mind trading in a *little* of that nice community feel for 250 ships on my side in combat

[ This Message was edited by: DjArcas on 2008-03-12 15:13 ]

Latrodectus
Captain

Posted: 2008-03-12 15:15   
lol...

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-03-12 15:39   
Way to not contribute...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-03-12 18:12   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 09:55, DjArcas wrote:

Hi!

I be Backy!

You can email me and I can forward you onto Faustus if you would like?

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-12 18:34   
Quote:

On 2008-03-12 08:33, Reeves-81 wrote:
"Because the people that work on it are volunteer. Except Faustus, who doesn't take this job very seriously has overextended himself, doesn't want to spend money to hire somebody to code this game and has another job coding for a different company."

This isnt a job for Faustus. Darkspace was started as a side project for Faustus, and something to do in his spare time. He never expected it to last this long. He can't spend the money on people to code Darkspace due to him having a family he has to support.

[small][ This Message was edited by: Crim {R33} on 2008-03-12 18:34 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Mersenne Twister on 2008-03-13 09:12 ]

Email Supertrooper
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023930 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR