Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » wishing i could play...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author wishing i could play...
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-19 01:51   
when will an update be rolled out for the GCQL? because i been wanting to play Darkspace lately, and i am unable with the recent IE update fiasco. will this be another Two Weeks™ situation where it doesn't get fixed, and the game and players suffer, or will it be fixed immediately? i am concerned because it may cause numbers to drop even further....

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-19 02:08   
Uninstall the windows update.

Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2008-02-19 06:40   
it keeps reinstalling, is anyway to keep it from installing?

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:01   
There is a way to uninstall the update that is causing the problem. You can find info on how to do so Here .

Also you can go into control panel>Automatic updates>Tick the circle that say do not automatically update.

[ This Message was edited by: Smartin on 2008-02-19 09:36 ]

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2008-02-19 10:01   
well eh smartin. that didn't work for me. auto update is of and i deleted the update.
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-19 10:24   
ok look, in the box windows updates gives you that says either "there's some new updates available" or "these updates are ready to be installed", with the list of whatever update, you have the option of clicking a check box to download/install each update. just uncheck the updates you dont want, click next/continue/whatever and WU will be all like "hey, you've chosen not to install this stuff, want me to remind you again?" and you'll have an option for too "never show me this piece of junk again"

you should probably get into the update control panel and change it from Automatic to "download but let me choose when to install them" or "notify but dont automatically download or install"

from the WU page:

What happens if I select "Don't show me this update again"?
Microsoft Update will no longer ask you to review or install that update. However, if you hide a high priority update, you might be reminded that you’re missing an update that is critical to the security of your computer.

If I hide an update, how do I get it back later?
On the Web site, click Restore hidden updates, and then review and install the updates that you want

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2008-02-19 11:54 ]

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-19 11:46   
That aint good enough Doran, you cant start mixing up someones security updates to play a game. I dont care if someone says the update isnt important. its still an security update, and if this game is to be taken seriusly it aint good enough to say things like this. Either get the beta working, or make a patch for THIS version so that ppl can play this game without having to do stuff we just dont realy wanna do.

MonkeyMan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-19 14:52   
Typical for Doran, useless, cocky, condesending, post that doesn't address the question asked............ I've lost ALL respect for the entire so called "TEAM" lmao, the inabilty to fix this small issue is really quite sad, You could realease a basic launcer minus the lobby, wouldn't be that hard to launch the game in something other than an IE window within the client......, "we really dont need the launcer to be a browser either,".

Sounds to me like another 2 weeks™ fiasco.....

So to those of us who do not wish to alter our OS to play this little game, when is the patch to be released? Or is there going to be one at all? I wouldn't be suprised if the DS philosophy turns out to be to ignore it and hope it goes away....

just fix it...

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-02-19 15:12   
Quote:

On 2008-02-19 14:52, CHUD wrote:
Typical for Doran, useless, cocky, condesending, post that doesn't address the question asked............ I've lost ALL respect for the entire so called "TEAM" lmao, the inabilty to fix this small issue is really quite sad, You could realease a basic launcer minus the lobby, wouldn't be that hard to launch the game in something other than an IE window within the client......, "we really dont need the launcer to be a browser either,".

Sounds to me like another 2 weeks™ fiasco.....

So to those of us who do not wish to alter our OS to play this little game, when is the patch to be released? Or is there going to be one at all? I wouldn't be suprised if the DS philosophy turns out to be to ignore it and hope it goes away....

just fix it...

Hmm.. i'm sher i left a few out, but that about sums it up. everyone that helps does a great job under the circumstances, it's too bad you can't see that.

[ This Message was edited by: Mersenne Twister on 2008-02-19 16:18 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-02-19 16:44   
Umm... last I checked Leo is using the on-base computers that the Army regulates the updates of... he can't exactly ask them to uninstall a security patch so he can login to his "Space shooter video game's chat lobby" now can he?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-19 17:33   
Quote:

On 2008-02-19 14:52, CHUD wrote:
Typical for Doran, useless, cocky, condesending,

condescending, thats when water forms on a glass right?

post that doesn't address the question asked............

and here i was thinking i answered ship of fools's question

I've lost ALL respect for the entire so called "TEAM" lmao,

what "team"? the mod "team"? nothing they can do about it. the dev "team"? that's basically just draf at this point, and he's got his hands full with .484, talk to faustus.

the inabilty to fix this small issue is really quite sad, You could realease a basic launcer minus the lobby, wouldn't be that hard to launch the game in something other than an IE window within the client......, "we really dont need the launcer to be a browser either,".

isnt an alteration of your OS what caused the problem? im fairly certain that people could play before microsoft released that update.

anyway, we do have a launcher, that's the darkspace.exe, but i dont think thats whats crashing or being crashed by microsoft's update. i dont know for sure whether or not it is, because 1) i dont use the darkspace.exe, my shortcut points directly to gcql.exe and 2) i uninstalled the update because the ability to get into darkspace (in my sole estimation) is more important that whatever little security holes it patched. but thats just me, your milage may vary.

now then, faustus could separate the web browser from the lobby, but as a result you could probably kiss the Home, News, Forum, Downloads, and Profile buttons goodbye. could also move away from IE to use a different browser, but as was pointed out here, that would most likely inflate client size. id also figure on some potential compatibility issues for people who dont use firefox or some other non-IE browser, im just guessing on that, thats not my field of expertise.

regardless, and without having acutally seen any of the gcql code, it strikes me that it would be MORE WORK to remove/replace the IE integration in the lobby than to get around whatever MS's security update is doing.

i dont know, and cant make any reasonable guess as to how long any fix would take. im not faustus (i know that may come as a surprise) and cant speak for him. faustus did say that he'd fixed this issue for the beta client, and he'd see what he could get done over the weekend. i am aware that it is now tuesday, and thus past the weekend, but im personally willing to wait for a fix rather than assume there isnt one, if you arent: rlyle@palestar.com

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-19 17:51   
From what I gather, the update caused problems with how certain components used to work. This has been an issue with other browser based applications that I am aware off, be it a different little problem of certain implementations that each program has used with IE browser libs. All that needed to be done where a few changes in the implementations and they where back in business, as faustus has already stated he has fixed in the other GCQL (beta). I guess what we are waiting for is to be able to access the release servers with that client, unless there is still a source for this one, which i doubt

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-19 19:58   
Quote:

On 2008-02-19 16:44, Coeus wrote:
Umm... last I checked Leo is using the on-base computers that the Army regulates the updates of... he can't exactly ask them to uninstall a security patch so he can login to his "Space shooter video game's chat lobby" now can he?

actually, i am using my personal computer. but you are right about the 'unable to uninstall WU updates' about Military computers.

and it does in fact sound like a 'Two Weeks' issue right now. because i am thinking the issue is gonna get fixed with the release of .484....and we all know how fast that one is coming...

(i have low expectations)

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2008-02-20 10:56   
doran windows update kb944533 isn't the update that is crashing DS there is an other 1 to i dont now wich. i now this because with the update un installed i still cant log in 2 the lobby. and i dont got a clue what is causing it. so if the staff is working on it plz let them check this lead 2 because i would rly like 2 play ds. and whatever is causing this isn't (atleast in my case) the windows updat you have pointed out. you can also check this on other pc's because if you read through the forum you find that a lot of people say there still having problems even with the update deleted.

Timbo

The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:40   
Hi Timbo400

This is the only update I know of that causes this problem.

If you have Automatic Updates enabled, then it might be reinstalling the each time you try to remove it.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025870 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR