Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Developer Discussion on state of .484?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Developer Discussion on state of .484?
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-19 20:06   
i, for one, would like the Developers (if there are any left) to hold a conference with the Playerbase and have a speech about the current state of .484, the bugs to be fixed, and future plans. there hasn't been a real big update to .484 in a while, and been a couple months since the last developer discussion. with the advent of the IE bug with Release GCQL, i am pondering on how long the Development Team and Palestar is going to wait to fix it, if at all, because i am not uninstalling a security update to play a game. the devs(mainly Draf) can't ignore the issue any longer. ( i saw him play SoSE in Friends chat, and not working on the current issue at hand. i understand a break is needed every now and then, but when a HUGE bug like this comes along, it is needed to be fixed, nto ignored). and before some mod or other player comes along pointing at the Developer Log, not everyone reads that, and it doesn;'t contain every update, nor is updated often. i just want some word on .484 and how soon the IE issue is gonna be fixed.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-19 21:36   
We have developers?

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-19 22:15   
Quote:

On 2008-02-19 20:06, leonide *SL1* wrote:
i, for one, would like the Developers (if there are any left) to hold a conference with the Playerbase and have a speech about the current state of .484, the bugs to be fixed, and future plans. there hasn't been a real big update to .484 in a while, and been a couple months since the last developer discussion. with the advent of the IE bug with Release GCQL, i am pondering on how long the Development Team and Palestar is going to wait to fix it, if at all, because i am not uninstalling a security update to play a game. the devs(mainly Draf) can't ignore the issue any longer. ( i saw him play SoSE in Friends chat, and not working on the current issue at hand. i understand a break is needed every now and then, but when a HUGE bug like this comes along, it is needed to be fixed, nto ignored). and before some mod or other player comes along pointing at the Developer Log, not everyone reads that, and it doesn;'t contain every update, nor is updated often. i just want some word on .484 and how soon the IE issue is gonna be fixed.

Alright, I'll put this rather bluntly.

Darkspace is dieing, or is dead. Somewhere in between I guess.

Drafell is not a fulltime developer, and isnt supposed to be. He was asked to contribute to the process of trying to fix this broken game. That means he can freely work on Darkspace when he wants, not when the playerbase wants. Sure, we all pay for the game, we should get results right? Sure, but it isnt exactly easy. There are alot of problems in Darkspace that we don't see, and it'll take abit of time for someone with the developing skills of Drafell (No offense, you're doing your best with the experience you have).

Best I can say to do is to go learn how to code in similar languages to what the Medusa engine uses, then submit a few peices of work, and then try and help out the dev team.

Email Supertrooper
GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-20 02:01   
i just wish there was a hotfix....and i know he said no more hotfixes -.- but we can wish cant we?

Email GothThug {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-02-20 06:24   
The security fix only patches the PNG problem that a handful of people had.

Uninstall it - it does bugger all.

And there's only so much me, Drafell, Nat and Shig can do - Faustus is the only one with large amounts of C++ experience, and only he can work on the game engine.

Unless you want me touching header files of which I have no idea what they do.
(You don't)

The IE update has screwed over an epic amount of games that embed IE - you can simply uninstall the update. Unless your clicking on PNG links in emails from people you don't know, you're pretty much safe.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:17   
Quote:

On 2008-02-19 20:06, leonide *SL1* wrote:
i, for one, would like the Developers (if there are any left) to hold a conference with the Playerbase and have a speech about the current state of .484, the bugs to be fixed, and future plans. there hasn't been a real big update to .484 in a while, and been a couple months since the last developer discussion.

"Lets drag them into telling us to wait Two Weeks™"...

Quote:

with the advent of the IE bug with Release GCQL, i am pondering on how long the Development Team and Palestar is going to wait to fix it, if at all, because i am not uninstalling a security update to play a game. the devs(mainly Draf) can't ignore the issue any longer. ( i saw him play SoSE in Friends chat, and not working on the current issue at hand. i understand a break is needed every now and then, but when a HUGE bug like this comes along, it is needed to be fixed, nto ignored).

..."Then lets sling mud at the only people who give their free unpaid time into helping us who can't even fix all the problems".

You sir, have the social graces of narcisstic version of Richard Simmons with tourettes.

-Ent

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:25   
what, a person can't be angry and want an update on a coming patch and something done to a game he loves?

(and pays money to.)

[ This Message was edited by: leonide *SL1* on 2008-02-20 14:26 ]

Email Leonide
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:58   
Leo, some of us have been here for a few years more then you, and have seen several versions come and go.

We've learned that trying to rush the developers, or pester them to work on it, will only produce one thing - .483.

Yeah, it is crappy having to pay and wait for a new version, but you do always have the option to stop paying and go do something else, or continue to pay and not worry so much about it.

Email Supertrooper
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-21 04:27   
Quote:

On 2008-02-20 14:25, leonide *SL1* wrote:
what, a person can't be angry and want an update on a coming patch and something done to a game he loves?

(and pays money to.)

[ This Message was edited by: leonide *SL1* on 2008-02-20 14:26 ]

Yes, because being angry and throwing crap at people who work on the game is going to speed it up OH SO MUCH.

I'm sure it motivates them to work oh so much harder when we show our appreciation by being belligerent 12 year olds.

-Ent

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-02-21 14:30   
Its happening now on jack's vent.. just so people can ignore this thread now

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-21 19:12   
yep, was a Q n A. too bad you missed it Ent. (i missed most of it though, i had to work... )

Email Leonide
Dionysian *EP5* (Angel of Destruction)
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-02-22 14:19   
I missed it - anyone care to summarise (briefly ) where we are.

1 thing i want to know is what is the absolute minimum they have to do to get a working, balanced 484 out there.

I know there are lots of things people have asked for - me included.

With the game in its present incarnation I would settle for 484 released as a balanced game. i.e 1 dread will own a Dessy, all factions about equal, 1 dessy unable to flatten a planet, some of the real lag issues resolved - i.e. limit fighters, missiles etc

Anything else to go into 485. even if 485 then takes another year to get platforms, new ships, fighter controls, special effects, balanced maps, perfectly balanced ships etc out. If these things are already done then fine.

I don't mean to criticise the devs who after all are the only ones actually doing something to get 484 out, but why develop a new way of building, upgrading, modding etc first. Sure those are annoying at times but they don;t ruin the game. What ruins the game is EDs, mirvs, weak kluth, lag.

The big thing that will ruin the game now id the IE patch.

Previously we did lose experienced players but we did have a steady stream of new ones through to replace them and i guess the game has been about steady over the last year. Now we have the IE patch that will severely restrict the flow of new players. cut that off and the game will wither and die

Get a balanced, playable game, even if its only 90% of what the devs originally wanted for 484, and make 485 the version that devs want and people will come back and new ones will join. This might save the game long enough for the devs to finish 485. I appreciate that the devs do this and there spare time and are of course free to do with there spare time what they want, but if they love DS (Which i expect they do) then they must realise that thge IE patch has seriously pulled the longer term rug out from DS' feet. If a 484 doesn;t come out soon, how mnay players will cancel subs as the ycan;t play, what will that do to the finances. If Ds makes a loss, wouldn;t F take it off line. If he does that, even if the devs do then get a great 484 a year from now, how many will be around to see it if the game hasn't been up for 9 months

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-22 19:15   
i agree with Dion. this IE patch is really killing off any chances of new players for DS. taking time with .484 is no longer an option, nor is procrastinating on fixing it's bugs and releasing it to fix the IE bug.

Email Leonide
Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-02-24 18:13   
summary anyone pls??

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-25 12:14   
yup been saying it for a long time...why change EVRYTHING!, fix it bug for bug, baby step after baby step. Aint realy that hard to do, fix the smal bugs that actual creates big problems.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027847 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR