No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Beam Core Weapon
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Beam Core Weapon
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-20 13:22   
I know this would normally belong in the Beta forums, but since we aren't adding any REALLY new content this round, it doesnt matter anyway.

It occurred to me today that we have all core weapons as projectile. One would think at least one SUPER BEAM would have been designed by someone (most likely the Kluth).

So, I was thinking something Crazy long ranged and strong (but like all beam weapons, weaker as distance increases). A beam that could cut into the hull of a dread (from a distance of about 500 gu). I dont know. Let the devs balance it.

This is just an idea I thought I would throw out there to get into the minds of others while we look forward to 485's development. I mean, 2 options on which Core weapon you want would be cool. This super beam would be strong, but no area of effect would make it limited in effectiveness.

Don Nukey of ICC *CO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2008-02-20 13:50   
i like the idea
and those weapons should only be mounted on stations due to the enormous energy requirements and loading time

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:28   
One, everything goes into beta suggestions anyways. (even if it isnt discussed now doesnt mean it isnt flagged for later).

And two, beam core weapons are something looks really good on paper but not in application.

Good because it sounds cool, bad because its too strong, for one main point:

Beams are guaranteed hits.

And that makes beams very strong. Or at least, they used to be, until they were nerfed for being too strong.

Seriously, CL2000, the equivilant of the HCL now, four of those meant hull damage to anything smaller than a dreadnought, and its very probable in .484 they're getting that back (thank you.) or something close to it.

Now for the purpose of a core weapon as a beam to be useful, it would have have moar range and moar power. Thus making it the most fun thing to use against some poor scout/frigate/destroyer that wandered too close (which in this case would be something around 300gu.)

Imagine the complaints.. the whining.. the imbalance, and then you see how unappealing it is. Because a beam core weapon is so much better than a projectile one simply because it WILL hit and it WILL do more damage than your regular stuff.

Unless it was WEAKER than regular beams, but then using it is redundant.

This information brought to you by Axeing Ideas Inc.

-Ent

SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:28   
lol i think the devs and mods are testing that out as on the MV afew days bk there was a big fight with one mir which had a dev or something in it and while fighting i noticed a new colour of beam i tried asking wat it was and all i got from him was classified and top secret and yes its a new beam

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-20 14:40   
I second that, it may seem a little too anime-ish, but the idea of a capital ship with a main gun is just too irresistable.

Don't know how hard it would be to code? you could just base it on the flux canon beam, except make the beam cirumfrance as wide as a dread.

have engergy gathering effect toward the bow of the ship like someone just deontated a qst on the ship, with little light particle collection to a single point, the whole ship comes a glow, then BOOM! a single blue/white beam the size of dread lances toward the enemy.

Restrictions could include (and/or):
1.)long cooldown/ possible initial charge up time, (special sound effects during the charge-up time so people notice it)

2.) extra narrow arc so that it's only usable when ship bow facing target, (i.e. put it at the very tip of the bow)

3.)As Ent mentioned, garanteed hit of a beam may seem to be to over powering

so make the beam non-tracking, manual target only ( same code for making a wormhole), so you are attacking a locations rather than a mobile target,
so there would be a chance that you might miss, or for enmy to get out of the way. same as qst or ion cannon

4.) drains all energy or other minor weapon cannot fire, cant jump/cloak for a period of time. this would balance it out ragous power, b/c once you fire it, you're sitting duck for, say, the next 10-20 seconds

which makes sense for core weapons, since you are channeling all avalible energy for your engine reactive core.

this would creat a situation where firing the core weapon is actually become a risk. it could also encourage team play because you would have to depend on ecort protection

[ This Message was edited by: 1stRA Rick Hunter on 2008-02-20 14:49 ]

[small][ This Message was edited by: 1stRA Rick Hunter on 2008-02-20 14:59 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: 1stRA Rick Hunter on 2008-02-20 15:00 ]

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-02-20 15:01   

actually i think 3.) 4.) togather would be plenty to balance the weapon.

depending on which factions you make the core beam weapon for, have these negative effects:
ICC: shields goes off [evil laughter]
Ugto: all weapon/jump drive drain, can't fire for 20 sec, cant jump out
Kluth: cloak/weapons goes offline for 20sec [laugh, snort]

sorrie for double post

fearlessjay™
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-20 17:20   
i wuld think this would be an icc invention cuz beams would look cooler if there blue and icc have all the blue looking cool stuff

and like the beam from starwars ion cannon thingy looks cool blue awesome looking so iy shuld be icc

[ This Message was edited by: fearlessjay on 2008-02-20 18:01 ]
I CON ZPELL GOOD SHAWDUP!

Email fearlessjay™   Goto the website of fearlessjay™
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-20 17:20   
I agree ent, that it would probably insta-kill any dessie or below.... But shouldnt it be able to? Any new player in a dessie SHOULD be afraid of engaging a vessel with core weapons. It is a bigger ship for a reason.

Although it might guarantee a kill or at least heavy damage to dessies and below, it would still be faced with the vulnerabilities that come with core weapons. This means Energy shortages. Also, it only hits ONE target when fired. That means if there are many enemies, one is hit and needs repairs, and now the others know its the right time to attack that Beam-vessel while the weapon is recharging.

It seems perfectly well balanced in my eyes. Quality versus Quantity. Less targets hit, more damage done.

P.S. Although I like to imagine myself in a UGTO dread or station, I really envision this as being a kluth weapon. I mean, they ARE the ones with the super-beams to start with.

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FC* on 2008-02-20 17:22 ]

fearlessjay™
Cadet

Posted: 2008-02-20 17:23   
Quote:

On 2008-02-20 15:01, 1stRA Rick Hunter wrote:

actually i think 3.) 4.) togather would be plenty to balance the weapon.

depending on which factions you make the core beam weapon for, have these negative effects:
ICC: shields goes off [evil laughter]
Ugto: all weapon/jump drive drain, can't fire for 20 sec, cant jump out
Kluth: cloak/weapons goes offline for 20sec [laugh, snort]

sorrie for double post

and hahaha icc could just own the ugglies and luth fro about 20 sec witout them fireing hahaha pwnage
I CON ZPELL GOOD SHAWDUP!

Email fearlessjay™   Goto the website of fearlessjay™
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2008-02-28 00:50   
All discussion thats have been posted I agree with.

both pro's an Con's.

my thoughts would be like after reading ones post about, putting all energy into the beam..

so it got me thinking, a last mintue resort? say about 80% hull damage the weapon becomes aviable?. has to be on. A Station, or a FA-GA rank Dread.

or
they say the beam could destory any ship below cruisers?. why not have a meter depending on Class of the ship. the beam will do.. say.

Exactly 20-40%? Hull damage.. no matter what type of ship.

[u]The Pro's[/u]..

~ will stop the whining of it being too damm power...
~ only hits one target, so it will make the user very caustious when to use it... its also on a dread/station class ship.. so only way for them to hit (SHOULD BE) by jumping them head on.
~ 100% chance to hit.
~ no matter what type of ship. takes 20-40? hull damage.

[u]Cons[/u].
~ a min or two cool down(Like a Wormwhole device cooldown?)
~ takes alot of energy just like QST/ION/Kluthone.
~ only one mountable.
~ Only hits once target.
~ Hitting anything smaller then a cruiser would just be a waste.

well there is my 2 cents

would post more idea's. but its almost knocking off time.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-28 05:35   
Idea is nice, but a Huge Beam weapon makes some and no sense for space combat, especially on stations

Some sense

• A beam weapon could originate from some where from the center of the station having mirror or other kind of aiming mechanism allowing it to be safe from fire and having a large arc.
  • if you already have lasers, mankind never stops trying to invent something that is even bigger.
  • taking 484 in to mind, stations won't be able to swap pesky fly's normally.

No sense

• It most be a huge device to be able to generate a ubber kind of beam.
  • You don't give your ship experimental weaponry to the combat field unless it is your ultimate last line of defence.
  • Beam capacitors require power, for Lasers its is about for every size up 3 times the charge. I don't even want to dream about requirements of Chemical Lasers.

But than again this is a game, and reality v/s fiction is nowhere to be found.
So lets hope Ubber Beam weapons will be included in 1.495 atleast.

(p.s. this all should be considered a joke in case i /failed to write this all in a carcastic way.)

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore[NL] on 2008-02-28 08:21 ]

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-28 10:22   
Quote:

On 2008-02-28 00:50, Hellza - Dark Master wrote:

so it got me thinking, a last mintue resort? say about 80% hull damage the weapon becomes aviable?. has to be on. A Station, or a FA-GA rank Dread.

Exactly 20-40%? Hull damage.. no matter what type of ship.

I dont like either of these two options. Other than that, I agree with your post. This beam IS a good/fair/viable option for future development IMO.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-28 11:04   

i just dont like beams, as for one guarantied hit..and two its just boring, no way to dodge, .....?? thats the beuty of this game, that u can have a real battle, sadly this is going away in the 484 coz now some ships only got beams, ships that i love to use...just gona be sad realy....

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-02-28 11:50   
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 11:04, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:
i just dont like beams, as for one guarantied hit..and two its just boring, no way to dodge, .....?? thats the beuty of this game, that u can have a real battle, sadly this is going away in the 484 coz now some ships only got beams, ships that i love to use...just gona be sad realy....

you can still do that just remember not to get close to the other ships.
You might get to use your lasers to finally finish of a enemy with your lasers.
But the enemy can just as well tear you up if you get careless.
That is What i originally loved about this game, not just the shooting but the dodging and getting in CL/Ruptor range when required, getting out and recover for next run.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-02-28 12:43   
just dont get close? how am i supposed to shoot them then? i mean with beams the only thing u need to do is jumping close to them and press space bar and kaboom, well after 2-3 jumps...wheres the fun in that? and with beam core weapon it will be even easier..1 jump? silly idea in my eyes.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023949 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR