Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Development Today: New Stars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Development Today: New Stars
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-03-25 07:52   
Quote:

On 2008-03-25 06:42, Enterprise wrote:

Wait wait, since they are actually planets, doesnt that mean they'll still retain planet-like qualities?

-Ent

No - unfortunately you still can't tell people to and unload infantry onto a star.

They're simply textures from planets imported. To be a planet, it has to have the correct noun properties.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* (R33) on 2008-03-25 07:53 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2008-03-25 08:22   
They aren't actually planets. They share the same core model and texture mapping co-ordinates, but that's it. Everything else is defined through a separate set of variables, so we could even have a planet shaped ship if we wanted...

Goto the website of Drafell
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-03-25 11:40   
Quote:

On 2008-03-24 16:46, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:
next system background...work in progress.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mirver/secondsystem.jpg

Sanity Assassin = Greg Martin?

http://www.vuni.net/artofgregmartin_0.html

If not, we might need to get permission to use that in a professional environment...

If so, roxor on.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2008-03-25 12:55 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-03-25 11:52   
Quote:

On 2008-03-25 08:22, Drafell wrote:

http://jack-online.co.uk/drafell/gfx/Nexus02.png

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-03-25 12:54   
That huge planet-shaped station is DO WANT. Give it some massive armor/weaponry and it'll be fun to have tons of players die to it while trying to murder it. (Give it an interdictor for ultimate fun)

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-03-25 14:18   
Well Sardaukar...im not. But a bigger legal liability would be me doing origional work here at work. The Wacom I use is property of the company i work for, so testing of images to see what will work and what will not work is fine. The fact that im using that piece as a referance for a test to see if it wraps around side to side and top to bottom isnt really an issue...and would never be an issue since the image has to be changed by 50% or more to get it to work. Now in the art world the law is basically any piece may be used as an underlay, referance, or a test and even as a final piece as long as it has been changed by 25%, (we are talking profitable pieces). Many cases have gone to court and have been lost since over 25% of the work was changed or done in a new medium.

So to fix this problem im having:

1.) I bought my own wacom this last sunday night just so i can do
my own work without having to use things owned by the company i work for. Not cheap, ill put it that way. thats legal issue 1 taken care of. Ill have my new tablet by this weekend and can do work from home without infringing upon any contract statements here at my job.

2.) Using a few pieces as a referance and color pallet isnt an issue. I have to make many origional pieces for the developers here and im not about to spend that kind of time on tests. When i fully understand how these images are being warped and distorted as they are applied around a system, then ill spend the time to do 100% origional work.

You also have to understand that even doing small test work here at my job isnt a big deal to them really, but i do work on a commission system. This means spending time at work doing this is taking $$$ directly out of my pocket, let alone buying a tablet to do this stuff at home. This is why that image above is altered and eventually going to have matching top and bottom and side to side so it wraps nice for a test to see if it will even work out. This is a quick job and isnt a big deal to me. I cant spend 2-3 hours on an image here for DS due to the fact that DS wont pay my billsa and thats fine, id rather use my own computer and tablet to avoid my company getting super pissed at DS & firing me. They do have their own legal team. Hence why I just bought my own so i can do freelance or free work for anyone, including DS.

This is what ill be getting in the mail this weekend...

http://reefphoto.com/images/wacom/intuos_9x12.jpg

This thing will open allot of doors for me to work directly at home, not losing any money at work, and being able to use my OWN equipment to provide some help to DS.

Im not getting salty with you, just explaining what and how im going about this. Every image we have used so far has needed some tweaking to understand how this will work and not look rushed. I dont want it to look rushed. I want it clean and crisp, so test images save lots of time letting me understand the problems the developers are having importing and applying these images.

BTW! That deathstar looking station looks pretty cool, i hope its bigger than a regular station and i think a rank above GA would be nice...possibly a ship like that could fall under that category. Maybe above Grand Admiral could be almost a diplomatic position, like K'luth Diplomat...or icc diplomat. Might be cool and instead of having bombing pres count for it, have straight combat pres count for it to prevent widespread bombing of the MV. Just a thought.

[ This Message was edited by: Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) on 2008-03-25 14:27 ]

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-03-25 14:24   
Ah, gotcha. I was actally hoping you were in fact Greg Martin, since that'd mean we had access to lots and lots of nice backgrounds... but if I understood all of that correctly, then we can get something similar in. Good luck with, should beat these confusing dot-matrices of stars that we have for backgrounds.

Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-03-25 14:29   
That star matrix was one problem we discovered by a test. I had small white stars in an image and it looked great flat, but once it was applied and bent the star "dots" got bigger and looked like crap. One thing figured out.

Trust me, once i get that tablet ill be void from DS and having my face stuck in photoshop and corel painter with my new tablet, i cant wait to get it.

[ This Message was edited by: Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) on 2008-03-25 14:31 ]

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Junky Da FunkyMonke
Admiral

From: The Hotel California, takes excursions to Deep Sexys Space every now and then
Posted: 2008-03-25 20:21   
Wow that is pretty good, different colors and textures would make you a very popular person.

CrashDown
Cadet

Posted: 2008-06-20 05:17   
yes lets not steal Gregs stuff

Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-06-20 07:26   
Quote:

On 2008-03-25 14:18, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:
The fact that im using that piece as a referance for a test to see if it wraps around side to side and top to bottom isnt really an issue

Can you read Crash??

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-20 09:11   
Please keep this on topic.

Development Updates forum is not meant to be used for this.

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-06-20 10:54   
The new stars are very nice, I love the hotspots on the surface, very nice touch Drafell im rather impressed with that when I saw it in beta.

Sanity I like the choice of background, though somewhat a eve feel to it with a nebula type wrap it certainly has a K'luth feel.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2008-06-20 12:36   
very nice Draf....and...who said anything about pay?

Email Fatal Command (CO)
DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-06-20 15:28   
Excellent job at both backgrounds and stars, like the different colors and the cold spots on the stars are a nice touch.

The aura coming from the stars could be a little more, I think. The rays a little longer maybe?

Also, will there be different sizes of suns/stars like Dwarf's, about the size of a small planet but really bright with different colors for different ones?

Any chance of having a couple of comets going thru a few of the systems, they might be used to hide in the tail or even hitch a ride?

DMC-13

[ This Message was edited by: DMC-13 on 2008-06-20 17:21 ]

Email DMC-13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027772 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR