No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » "With great power comes great responsibility"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author "With great power comes great responsibility"
DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-03-13 00:56   
"With great power comes great responsibility"

Some recent event's have weighed heavily on my mind and has prompted me to post this message to everyone. I've been a member of this community for a short time now and I'm sure there's a lot of things I still don't know or understand. I do know that as a member I can voice my opinion as I'm sure some of you will most definitely do after reading this. Some of you will find this post delightful, others will be annoyed, some might be enraged and others will feel indifferent about it. If I happen to offend anyone, please accept my most humble apology.

I don't mean to sound negative but in the short time that I've been here, I've seen self righteous, anti social behavior and a lack of common courtesy and decency with sarcastic innuendo's, direct and indirect derogatory remarks towards others. This is totally inappropriate, detrimental and discouraging. Not to mention it's also bias, degrading, discriminating, offensive and just plain rude. I have witnessed this on several occasions and have also had the misfortune of being subjected to it as well. I will not say any names. Those that do it know who they are.

Case in point – Reference was made to my little brother and his friend about them being a couple of 12 year old's who were just trying to be cool. Other vague comments were made that they didn't understand the meaning of which made them feel like they were being ridiculed, belittled and not welcomed. A moderator did step in and apologize but did so in such a technical and impersonal way by stating the Rules of Conduct that they didn't even know it was directed towards them. Afterwards, I tried to smooth things out with them but the damage was done. These two young, impressionable, intelligent, prospective members are very gifted at being a quick study and were becoming quite adept with the game. Before this incident they had told me they really enjoyed this game and were "addicted" to playing it and planned on being "paying" members of the community for a long time. Because of the disrespect and non-clarification of comments made I seriously doubt that they will be back. Personally, I hope they do return. I would much rather play the game with them than with some of the "veteran's" that I've had the displeasure of meeting within this community.

On the other hand I've also had the great pleasure of meeting some very sincere, helpful, friendly members in this community. I thank each and every one of you for all your help. You have my most highest regards and deepest respect. The DarkSpace CD I purchased gave me a limited amount of time as a free fully subscribed member of this community. I've also received coupons which will extend my free membership. Despite the aforementioned case in point which offended me very much, I have decided to retain membership as a paying subscribed member when my free time is done. I will not be chased away. To those of you who think this is your own personal playground and exhibit self centered, holier than thou, impersonal or non responsive attitudes towards new members, well you better get used to the idea and accept the fact that there are going to be new members joining this community and from what I hear, is desperately needed.

As for myself, I'm going to be here for a long, long time. Now instead of going back into the MetaVerse where it seems I do more damage (to myself) than good, I think I'll stay in Admiral where I hope to gain a better understanding and develop the much needed skills as a pilot, engineer, etc. All I can say is after I develop those skills, you'd better look out. Now someone had mentioned to me about receiving the repercussions of Karma. Well my friend, that's a two way street.

It doesn't matter if you've been a member for sixteen years or just sixteen minutes, everyone is equal here and all should be treated as such. Using the terms "newbie, newber, noob, etc." in a degrading manner and ignoring or giving vague answers to those that ask for help or information is totally unprofessional. Those of you with the experience and knowledge of the "tricks of the trade" have great power and with that great power comes great responsibility. Part of that responsibility is to set an example for the new members to follow. Along with that, I believe, when a new member exhibits the following traits, those with the power (experience) should be gracious enough to perform the following actions.

Enthusiasm should be encouraged, inquisitiveness should be enlightened, salutations should be acknowledged and inexperience should be guided. All should be made to feel welcomed and when asking for information, be informed the answer or at least how or where to find it. Along with that, the need to practice good sportsmanship at all times.

Now before you tell me things like "Internet-serious business" or "That's the nature of the beast (game)" or "Should be expected" etc., I want you all to know that I agree with and expect antagonistic behavior inside the game up to a certain level, after which it just becomes "griefing". The lobby, to my understanding and I might be mistaken, is an area that's considered neutral where information can be obtained and everyone is to be treated equally and with respect. Snide, sarcastic, judgemental remarks are not allowed. I'm sure all of this has been stated before and I'm just going over "old ground" but it never hurt's to be reminded, which is the reason for this post.

Well, that's it. Now if I'm to be demoted, dishonorably discharged, ostracized or whatever, so be it. Wait a second, I just remembered that since I'm freelance and don't belong to a fleet, I really shouldn't worry about that too much. Except for maybe being ostracized or ganged up on. Oh well, that's "life in the fast lane". Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I wish everyone the greatest of fun "space trucking" inside DarkSpace.

Sincerely,
DMC-13

Email DMC-13
Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-03-13 01:34   
C'est la vie.

I highly doubt anyone important or anyone who matters would bother "ganging up" as you put it, on you or anyone else for that matter. If they do, self-explanatory.

I only come here for the funny posts on the forums as of few months ago, nothing semi-intestering here anymore other than that. I like them forums and I dont hesitate to go in and around them like a Mars rover.

Strolling from side to side, taking nice pictures and incomprehensible transmissions. Sometimes getting a bit stuck in quicksand though.

I make a load of sarcastic comments, even broken sarcasm and completely wrecked/backwards/black&white/???? humor, but that's me, I dont discriminate and I dont stalk a specific invidual or group of players.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-03-13 01:40   
i have to agree with you about some points. like the rude behavior of some select individuals is rather detrimental to the community, other older players are starting to enter their senile years ( ). it is a good thing you don't hear what is going on in the " friends chat circle". just don't take the rude comments and behavior too seriously, and you will be just fine. and i really hope your friends do come back, we need new blood in this game.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-13 04:19   
no offense intended by this but

If they can't handle a little bit of.... "crap" then they aren't going to get very far in life, you got to let that "crap" roll off your back, and not become defensive, doing so often leads to more problems, ignorance is not an excuse, this is a very old saying, and in fact law in some places. Just don't take everything so seriously and remember its a friggin game on the "der" internet, and at the moment it is what it is.

Have a nice day

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-03-13 07:39   
Quote:

On 2008-03-13 04:19, Reeves-81 wrote:
no offense intended by this but

If they can't handle a little bit of.... "crap" then they aren't going to get very far in life, you got to let that "crap" roll off your back, and not become defensive, doing so often leads to more problems, ignorance is not an excuse, this is a very old saying, and in fact law in some places. Just don't take everything so seriously and remember its a friggin game on the "der" internet, and at the moment it is what it is.

Have a nice day

No offence taken or intended but I guess you didn't understand the point I was making about conduct in the Lobby or the fact that I was talking about two 12 yr olds. The phrase you're refering to is actually "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse". The Rules of Conduct, for lack of a better word, is "Law" and plainly state what type of behavior is acceptable and expected when in the Lobby. I'm not a 12 yr old and can handle a little bit of.... "crap", as you so eloquently stated, and can dish it out too.

DMC-13

Email DMC-13
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-03-13 08:13   
First off good post, and I am going to attempt to break it down in the way I read it.

The way I read it is quite simple really you are a new young player(young in the terms of ds time) looking for guidance. I wont sit here and preach on about how when I first started people were lining up to teach new players the art of DarkSpace, because that would be lying. Don't get me wrong there were people who did spend hours of time with me, and answered all my questions I had, and for that I was thankful. Infact it probably saved me from becoming another bomber. I may not have been around in the 480 481 or 482 days of DarkSpace, but I know a lot of people who were, and it's obvious to to anyone who talks to them will hear them talk about the "old days" were people loved to teach new players how to play.

My response is; What has changed?

What a patch that we don't like. Keep listening to some of thse older players. They have complaints about all the patches. Some more then others but they are still there. Go through the forums and look at some of the old post. Same story different things.

Here we have a new player that from what I read is looking for direction, and yet so many back away at the thoght of teaching new players because "Bombing is so easy in this version why even bother." That's crap in my eyes. I been yearning to be able to take a new player under my wing for a while now. Infact I have tried(ask the old TB guys about random new players let into the fleet). It will take all of us to help the community gain players and be successfull, and really only one of us to drive new players off.

For the tl;dr group just read the last line of the above paragraph.

As for your issues with players breaking the ROC or the "law" of DS. /report, take screenies, take video, save your chat logs, etc. etc. We do have a great moderation team here at DarkSpace that is composed of "volunteers" who give up their time to help DarkSpace. We don't get a kick back at the end of the month or free playing time. We are just hear because we care about the community. If you feel their is a breach of the ROC let us know, provide us proof, and then its up to us to take it from there.

-Smartin-

[ This Message was edited by: Smartin {TB} on 2008-03-13 08:13 ]

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-03-13 08:28   
Quote:

On 2008-03-13 07:39, DMC-13 wrote:

No offence taken or intended but I guess you didn't understand the point I was making about conduct in the Lobby or the fact that I was talking about two 12 yr olds. The phrase you're refering to is actually "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse". The Rules of Conduct, for lack of a better word, is "Law" and plainly state what type of behavior is acceptable and expected when in the Lobby. I'm not a 12 yr old and can handle a little bit of.... "crap", as you so eloquently stated, and can dish it out too.

DMC-13

purely defensive reponse, I was aware "I can read" that they were 12 years old, so ya, they should be able to take a bit of crap, "if not there gonna get eaten up in High school", you know back in my day you didn't read what somebody said to you, they said it to your face, and sometimes they might even try to hit you, lol. surely a few writen words arent that bad..... and now your saying that your going to dish out some "crap" too, I think you've lost sight of what you've posted... when I tell you that ppl on here WILL cause trouble and to let it roll off your back, your response is to try to cause trouble, very hipocritical... and typical of the current community.

Have a nice day

PS The phrase I was reffering to was the one that I wrote, as yours is a popular defense used by defense lawyers and usualy used in a courtroom setting -_-

PPS "With great power comes great responsibility" Superman???

[small][ This Message was edited by: Reeves-81 on 2008-03-13 08:32 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2008-03-13 14:49 ]

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-03-13 09:34   
Quote:

On 2008-03-13 01:34, NAKLIER POM wrote:
C'est la vie.

I highly doubt anyone important or anyone who matters would bother "ganging up" as you put it, on you or anyone else for that matter. If they do, self-explanatory.

Well, besides the fact that it's already happened quite a bit, (not complaining about it, I learned to develop more skill with each experience) I actually meant that as a joke.

Email DMC-13
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:16   
*Slaps DMC-13 in the head with a pool noodle*

Join with me, my Admin brethren!

Edward Rogen
Chief Marshal
Rogens Raiders

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:18   
I slappeth thee, DMC-13!

[ This Message was edited by: Edward Rogen on 2008-03-13 10:23 ]

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:28   
Insert furious nodding during reading the message.

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:28   
On a serious note, though, the ganging up and mob mentality is an issue that does effect DS to quite a dagree, and is very noticable due to the small community.

We do what we can to address and ameliorate the issue where we can, but it is never easy deciding just where the right point of intervention should be, as nearly everyone has a different response and idea of what they consider to be friendly banter and joking and the line where it crosses into harassment.

We usually rely on the user that is being targeted informing us that there is an issue as it is very difficult to look for or monitor a problem if you don't know that it is there.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-03-13 12:37   
The reason a lot of the "vets" in the lobby are so antisocial these days, as far as I can tell, is that there seems to be a very disturbing trend in the new playerbase. While good and decent players do seem to join up, they aren't very visible, or at least I haven't seen or heard more than a few of them. Rather, we've gotten a lot of new people over the past few years who came into the game, toed many lines, and wound up causing so much stress and pain that, well, I just don't think we all see new players in the same light any more. It's not fair, I know, but it's human nature. Of all the new faces that I've seen come into the game in the last two years... a few of them stuck around and became very valued members of our community, a lot of them were silent and faded away, and the rest caused community grief, on varying levels of significance, but all contributing the sense of an approaching end, like barbarians at the gates.

I should also add; I feel that there are now two distinct groups in the community at this point, and people frequently shift between them- there are those who are aware of the fragility of the community and know better than to carry in-game grudges to the lobby, and there are those who treat the various bombings and interdictoring as heinous crimes against humanity. The latter group is valued for the feel of war in the game, but we no longer have the numbers to support that kind of pretentious, faction-defining animosity. I know a lot of people don't truly, honestly stand by the aggression they dole out (players change sides so often, forgive-and-forget is almost mandatory for this mindset), but new players don't know that, and they may see the torch-and-pitchfork ICC/UGTO/Bug mobs as something much more serious than they are, either leaving out of disgust at the actions, or joining in enthusiastically.

I hope that all came out right. It's early and I'm only half-awake.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2008-03-13 12:43 ]

DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-03-13 14:18   

Well Fuji Hakayito, we could go back and forth about this but unfortunately my friend, you're wrong on all counts.

1st count - My last responce to you wasn't defensive. I thought you had misunderstood the point of my post. However, this one is purley defensive.

2nd count - "Back in your day you didn't read what somebody said to you, they said it to your face"? LOL. You have me all wrong. I highly doubt that you're very much older than me and if we lived in the same area, I'd have no problem with saying it to your face.

3rd count - "Surely a few written words aren't that bad....", Well, (The pen is mightier than the sword) depending on what is written and who it's directed towards, I would have to say yes, it very well could be bad.

4th count - I never said I was going to dish out some "crap". (Implies a premeditated action) I said that I can dish it out too. (Implies the ability to do a course of action)

5th count - I haven't lost sight of what my post was about and again, as I stated in my post, I apoligize if it offended you.

6th count - I'm not trying to cause trouble, but I won't run from it either.

7th count - The phrase "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is used by the Prosecuting Attorney, not the Defence Attorney.

And now, if it pleases the court, I rest my case.

P.S. "With great power comes great responsibility" Spiderman

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smartin, thank you very much. In the future if I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you, if you're not too busy. Also, I have read and refer back to the forums quite often. Lot's of excellent information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I get slapped with the pool noodle by the Admin. I hope it's Italian because I'm kinda hungry right now. Seriously though Mr. Black, thanks for the heads up. I'll try not to rock the boat too much.

I sincerely hope my post doesn't rufffle too many feathers. That wasn't my intention when I wrote it.

DMC-13

Email DMC-13
DMC-13
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2008-03-14 23:59   
I really don't mean to spam post but I just wanted to reply to the following people who took the time to write a reply to my original post.

Leonide, thanks for seeing the point I was making in my post and I hope the talk in the "friends circle" isn't about me. Just kidding about talking about me. Doesn't really matter to me and thanks again.

Edward Rogen, I'm not sure if I should thank you for the slap but thanks anyway. Oh yeah, I turneth the other cheek for you to slappeth.

Bardiche, thanks for the furious nodding while reading my post. I hope it was in agreement with what I wrote.

Sardaukar, thanks for explaining the mindset and situation of the community. I can only hope that I become another one of the valued members of the community as well. I promise I will do my best.

I'd just like to add that as a big brother, I feel it's my responsibility and my duty to protect and defend my little brother. Since I couldn't do that during the "case in point", which I had referred to in my post, my only course of action was to inform everyone of the incident and the repercussions resulting from it along with my feelings about the whole situation. If you're a big brother or a father, then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

DMC-13

Email DMC-13
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028066 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR