No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +9.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Dwarf Fortress
 Author Dwarf Fortress
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-04-23 02:32   
I feel like I should bring this little indie game up. It's free, it's ASCII-based, and figuring it out will destroy your will to live... however, you will still want to play it, after you read the article from the DF wiki that convinced me to tough it out:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cat

Cat

Cats will kill vermin. They are fairly weak animals.

Cats cannot be assigned as pets. Instead, they choose dwarves as owners. This requires exposure to your dwarves, so if you keep your cats caged away from the fort they will not choose an owner. Cats choose randomly from dwarves they see over time, but have a higher probability of choosing a dwarf who "admires cats" as their owner.

Cats are useful around the fort to prevent the unhappy thoughts produced by vermin, and also for producing large numbers of kittens. If you can resist their cuteness and charm, and you get to them before they adopt a dwarf, kittens can be butchered to provide a small neverending trickle of hides, bones and meat for your fort. As a breeding pair of cats only costs 22 embark points, this is well worth considering – cage them up together away from dwarves, and cage-and-butcher the kittens as they are born, lest the butcher adopt one on what was supposed to be the kitten's last voyage.

They are, however, infamous for the catsplosion: If you are not careful, cats will be everywhere, causing your FPS to plummet, and killing them will cause tantrums.

Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2008-04-23 14:28   
Were you planning on providing a link to this game?

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-04-23 16:13   
Quote:

On 2008-04-23 02:32, Sardaukar wrote:
DF wiki

Download link in the middle of that page, in addition to useful starter information.

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-04-25 01:41   
I remember a friend of mine from Hong Kong telling me about this game a year and some change ago. I downloaded it and read the help stuff, but never really played it. I think I read some of the help and FAQ stuff to understand how to play the game, but I stayed away from it.

I don't think I wanted to deal with such a steep learning curve at that time in my life.

Goto the website of Grimith
Page created in 0.007329 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR