No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +11.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Actual military comebacks.
 Author Actual military comebacks.
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2008-05-27 13:18   
This thread is for cool people. Yes, I lurk in forums. I was perusing through the soap box and saw some weird nationalistic thread about America and was sorely disappointed with lack of actual military comebacks.

So, post your favs! I'll start out.

My favorite is Kamikaze. I mean, c'mon. Mongolian invasion fleets? Korean turtle ships? The largest amphibious invasion force until D-Day? And the Japanese defeat you without firing a single shot. Should've paid more attention to those typhoon warnings.

Drake and the English vs. the "invincible" Spanish armada. The Spanish were just outplayed and outclassed. Bait and switch, make the Spanish waste their long range weaponry at Gravelines and close to penetrate their hulls. Also the first effective use of "crossing the T" for broadsides. LEARN IT WELL DREADNOUGHTS OF WWI. This marks the decline of the feared Spanish navy and the catalyst that would eventually lead to the rise of the British empire. Whoops.

This one is just poor planning. The Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor. Before the widespread use of carriers later in the war, basic naval strength in the American Pacific Fleet was supported by our battleships. The Japanese knew this, and sent the attack force to cripple these behemoths in Hawaii. What a major screw up this was. They were so hungry to destroy the ships the failed to realize that the harbor was partially dredged to make a deeper depth for larger hulls, meaning it was quite shallow. Well, they attacked the large ships and sank them. Yeah, great job. Only that six months later all but two were salvaged and returned to active service almost immediately. They should've hit the oil fields and tanks, crippling the entire navy's fuel supply for months. But they didn't. They only managed to wake an entire nation, creating the most powerful military on earth, losing the largest war humanity had ever seen, and creating the worlds first superpower which developed nuclear weapons to use on their cities.
Whoops.

More to come. I'm hoping Fatty will take it from this point.

Email Ramius
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-05-27 13:52   
Quote:

On 2008-05-27 13:18, Ramius wrote:
The rise of the British empire.

I agree.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-05-27 14:05   
Surprised you didn't mention the retaliation to the Tet Offensive and the later double-back turnaround it caused.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-05-27 14:21   
I don't understand what i'm supposed to be taking at this point

some kind of baton or something?

Page created in 0.007034 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR