No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » HELP ! [Admin] please !
 Author HELP ! [Admin] please !
x_KiLLa_x
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-05-27 17:45   
Just payed for the month but I cannot log into lobby.... I downloaded everything my only problem Is when I go to log into CQ my computer completely shuts down and does not turn back on !! Could someone please Tell me whats going on....

Email x_KiLLa_x   Goto the website of x_KiLLa_x
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-05-27 17:48   
something of a last resort-
spyware/virus/trojan check
backup
dban (google it)
reinstall windows and stuff.

Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-05-27 18:03   
Quote:

On 2008-05-27 17:45, x_KiLLa_x wrote:
Just payed for the month but I cannot log into lobby.... I downloaded everything my only problem Is when I go to log into CQ my computer completely shuts down and does not turn back on !! Could someone please Tell me whats going on....

i need help too only i dont have comp shut down i just get the mars universe and nothin else help!!!!!!

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-05-28 02:37   
please provide more details, exactly what is the program you run, do you start the release version of darkspace or try to join trough the beta-version, what operating system do you have, exactly when does the error occur, and what IS the error.

Leviatan
Cadet

Posted: 2008-05-28 05:36   
Quote:

On 2008-05-27 18:03, Cpt. KING OF WALLS wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-27 17:45, x_KiLLa_x wrote:

i need help too only i dont have comp shut down i just get the mars universe and nothin else help!!!!!!

Redownload the Beta GCQL from the beta section of the website portal, install it.

If you are running Vista, right click the launch icon and select "Run as Administrator", same might also go for XP Professional in some cases.

Log in, then once you have the GCQL window with the lobby in front of your nose, click on the "Launch" tab, click "DarkSpace", and then click on the red diamond with "Install" written on it.

In theory this should install the release version, although I'm not so sure whats the deal here since the release servers ARE visible on the Beta GCQL even without the release version installed, but I guess it wont hurt.

And to the person with the computer crashing problem, if you get a blue screen, write down the memory pointer it tells you before pressing any buttons, and post it here.

If it's not a blue screen, do tell more about your computer, and is the shutdown a shutdown where the computer just says "bye-bye" and electricity cuts off, or do the fans keep humming afterwards, do you get any errors on your monitor, such as "No signal", "ERROR 13" or anything similar? And have you ran memtest yet?

Memtest is a memory testing program that you can use to find any corrupted segments in your RAM, you burn it to a CD or floppy and boot from it. Let it run for two hours or so, or even overnight.

Also, did you write that post from the computer that went bonkers or another computer, if from another computer, does the crashed one start properly? If not, does it give you any beep sequences? If yes, listen to them carefully and write them down including your BIOS name and version.

If there were no beeps and the computer just refuses to boot, open up the casing and check the F_PWR and F_RESET jumpers to see if your case buttons are even connected to your motherboard, and check all of the other cables and wires while you are at it.

Be aware that in all political correctness you should be advised to use wristbands for decharging the static load from your body, but I rarely ever have used them and I'm yet to burn a single motherboard, as a very good alternative is holding onto the casing with one hand, refraining from wearing clothes that generate a lot of static, such as wool or nylon. Most of time you dont honestly need to even hold onto the casing, touching it briefly once before working and keeping a decent pace with the work is enough.

If that didnt yet solve it, move the CLR_CMOS jumper to the "active" position and boot it, it will kill your CMOS which should, in theory, purge certain problems from the system.

If it still doesnt like to boot, take off the CPU from the socket carefully and check if there are any signs of burning in the pins or even the motherboard socket.

Depending on the results of memtest, you should also try booting with one stick of RAM at a time. Probably easiest done by putting the computer on its side on a kitchen table with the case open and no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached.

Take all RAM sticks off, put one back, start up and listen if the fans get humming. Repeat until you find a RAM stick that DOES NOT boot, and replace it with a working RAM stick.

Still no success, find another power source unit, keep the casing open and replace the current PSU with the new one and boot it. If the fans start running, success. If not, motherboard is probably fried beyond all recognition for some weird reason not related to DarkSpace. If the motherboard indeed is fried(if it really is fried, you might find a few blown capacitors here and there), then salvage whatever valuable components it has, such as the video card, CPU, fans, RAMs, harddrives, all optical drives et cetera.

Find a new motherboard and rebuild the system, diagnosing every salvaged component at a time to see if any of them can still be used or are they all just expensive decorations for a techno christmas tree.

---

If the computer actually boots, eg. there is nothing really wrong with the computer you originally used to launch the lobby, then boot it into safemode with network capability and try it like that. That way only windows processes should be running.

If the computer now does not shutdown anymore, then you had an external process interfering with it quite a lot, it could be anything from a virus to a malfunctioning program, in case which you will want to boot into safemode WITHOUT network capability and run an entire armada of antivirus software before connecting anywhere again.

** If all else fails **

And you are using an OEM system, such as one manufactured by Dell or Packard Bell or anything similar, they have a custom master boot record that allows you to get into recovering the operating system from a mirrored image of it, this is however viable only if the computer actually boots and you get the POST screen.

POST screen is the part of the boot sequence where you have the manufacturer logo showing up with stuff like "F2 for Setup, F3 for Blaa".

Usually the recovery partition is selected by pressing either F1, F10(Dell) or F11(PB). F12 might also be set up like that, although I think in many modern MBR's it's set for network boot which is not desirable in this specific case.

That way you can format the harddrive and reinstall the operating system from scratch, which most of the time, but not always, gets rid of viruses and malwares, but you really should consider investing in a hardware firewall and security software afterwards.

If you are not using an OEM system, use fdisk or format through command shell, assuming you have the original OS installation CDs around.

Formatting the entire harddrive(s) is a quite desperate measure especially if you have a lot of stuff on it, hence it should only be done is nothing else works but you can still somehow boot the computer.

[ This Message was edited by: Leviatan on 2008-05-28 13:50 ]

Page created in 0.014874 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR