No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Newbie and Admiral servers - Platforms
 Author Newbie and Admiral servers - Platforms
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-10 00:50   
I have been looking at the platform and i think they will be a bit over balanced in these 2 servers. Even though it will take ages via miner, a planet could churn out a ton of platforms in 2 hours if it has loadsa mines...

just my 2 cents on the issue and good job on .1500 guys

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2008-06-10 11:59   
that is actually something i never thought off, the Newb server is in for a lot of pain if they showup admiral to

- Axi

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-10 12:03   
I recall,
scenario servers will get a overhaul before or after 1.500 hits.
Mostly because of it takes time to build a SY. and Scenario maps weren't changed when SY (1.481) where introduced.

Hopefully we will see true Scenario maps in those servers where planets are prebuild and maybe some ships removed from the ship selection. (engie)
Allowing for pure combat or capture situations.

This would be the ideal situation for the Newbie server.
For Admiral however i am unsure, ask the dev's.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-10 21:26   
Quote:

On 2008-06-10 12:03, Eledore[NL] wrote:

Hopefully we will see true Scenario maps in those servers where planets are prebuild and maybe some ships removed from the ship selection. (engie)

You have to consider bombing runs, are we just going to leave planets crippled? You are on to something though with the game having to be slightly altered in a way.

Personally I think D-bases need to be slightly reconsidered so they do not spew out torpedoes and HCL's or else planet hugging is all that will happen.

But this makes me think of another great oldie - Dual Server?
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-10 21:42   
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 21:26, _x$witchBladex_ the Rum Loving Pirate wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 12:03, Eledore[NL] wrote:

You have to consider bombing runs, are we just going to leave planets crippled? You are on to something though with the game having to be slightly altered in a way.

Personally I think D-bases need to be slightly reconsidered so they do not spew out torpedoes and HCL's or else planet hugging is all that will happen.

But this makes me think of another great oldie - Dual Server?

First: I was thinking more of this:
Want a SY planet that can't be bombed or captured, introducing 500gu safezone on that SY planet.
Or if you want a pure combat scenario map, remove the engineers, transports, extractor and bombers.

Second: If i recall def bases will be redone if not already in beta, and i doubt Torps will be on them, but that is all up to the dev's.

The Duel Server? can't remember that one, but Fleetwars has always been my favorite place to duel.

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-10 23:33   
Quote:

On 2008-06-10 21:42, Eledore[NL] wrote:

The Duel Server? can't remember that one, but Fleetwars has always been my favorite place to duel.

It was run by Josef without pres gain or loss. Fleetwars would be pretty awesome again, getting a bracket going would help get this game active again.
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2008-06-11 06:03   
I am currently looking at changing planet based defense to beam combinations only, or at least removing missiles from them and using something that requires less cpu overhead.

This will help give platforms a more defined role. Planetary Defenses should be exactly that, defensive, not offensive.

Goto the website of Drafell
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-11 11:14   
Quote:

On 2008-06-11 06:03, Drafell wrote:
I am currently looking at changing planet based defense to beam combinations only, or at least removing missiles from them and using something that requires less cpu overhead.

This will help give platforms a more defined role. Planetary Defenses should be exactly that, defensive, not offensive.

Just be careful. Half the battle with capturing clusters is the insane amount of planning it takes due to the firepower you have to face. If all you have to worry about is a few beams, who really cares?

I know I heard something about fighter bases being removed, so combined with no missiles flying at you there won't be much of a challenge.

Is there a possible way of just putting a limit on the number of missiles/fighters spawned per planet? Level I fighter bases probably wouldn't cause too many problems if you were to remove level 2 and 3 fighter bases. I know I sound like I am saying remove leveled defense bases, but currently there is no point in using lower leveled ones other than a quick defense in the heat of battle.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-12 15:00   
Quote:
Development Log holds:
  • - Re-factored defense bases to take into account the decreased armor values of smaller ships, as well as removed level two and three fighter bases from the game to help reduce server overhead otherwise known as 'fighter lag'.

There is only one fighter base left. But i to head something from the Dev's about the removal of fighter bases totally due to fighters straining the servers.

But about the defense bases, if you place a number of platforms around the planet of even more in a cluster the defense will speak for it self.
Letting defense bases provide PD to protect is self makes sense, but you are right about the removal of missiles from the defense bases i see no reason to keep the three kinds of them two would be more like it and with more difference between them both in defense output and requirement differences. (tech and resources)

Still the removal of fighter bases will be a loss, but in the hope that the future will give fighters AI and the introduction of a fighter command interface. This to give fighters a finally a role of decent tool of war.

p.s. That just gave me a idea if fighters should ever become AI.
Supply depot's should be able to refuel fighters, so you could place a fighter group to defend your supply platform, or use platforms to extend your fighters flight time. Countless options open up when i think of it.
(within reason of course, your ship destroyed or docked fighters don't refuel or just land/disappear at nearest allied structure/planet/platform.)

Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-12 15:24   
that would be good. Having a small fighter group and placing them in a strategic perimeter. but also, its good that missles have been removed because there is now the Missle platform.

but the weapons platform is quite over-powerful.

Page created in 0.023947 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR