No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Command Station Dictor
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Command Station Dictor
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-07-08 00:39   
This may have been suggested before, perhaps even by me, but I am putting it out there at the last second anyway.

Especially since WHing around from system to system will no longer be possible, now more then ever the Command-class stations will have to fullfil their intended role, which is to organize a fleet and provide a 'mobile safezone' for the offensive fleet to gather at for repairs and resupply, a place where the offensive is coordinated and orchestrated.

Adding a dictor slot to the command-class stations would greatly increase the effectiveness and bring this ship to really stand apart from the others as a leadership-caste vessel. Give it the basic 1000gu dictor field or perhaps even a station-level 1500gu dictor field.

It is not like a station can move so fast as to prevent an attacking enemy fleet from fleeing. It would just make attacking the heart of an offensive fleet THAT much riskier. You can wait at your planet to defend or you can take the risk and go after the enemy's heart. It would also provide similar advantages to the defensive fleet, given that planet bombing would no longer leave the center of defending fleet's operations exposed.

This would really increase the tactics involved in combat and really make things more interesting. Also, it is a bit odd that the dictor slot exists in only ONE vessel on every faction. This would add variety to the combat scene. Let's face it. We all wish a station could be protected with a dictor, but no one wants to be the guy in the dictor ship just sitting by the station for 4 hours.

Another advantage to this would be that command stations would no longer have to substantially fear tractor scouts. I dont know if any of the small vessels have access to tractors in the new mod system, but most people avoid command stations, even though they can build, simply because a small vessel can jump in and pop you into the planet before their jump flash even fades. that is why no one builds with command stations. a dictor in the ship would help with that issue as well.

Consider it. I really think it would benefit the game in many ways.

PS. I know this is a bit late in the game to be adding new things, with stress testing being done and all, but I dont imagine tossing a single simple slot into 3 of the game's vessel datasheets would really take long.

[ This Message was edited by: Kanman *FM* on 2008-07-08 00:40 ]

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-07-08 03:08   
* can hear an oncoming scream of 'NOOOO' from others*

i like this idea...and everyone knows that stations do not move fast at all. and to the guys saying the station can jump into an enemy fleet and dictor it with the uber station, which sane person would jump a ship INTO an enemy fleet, not being able to jump for a good 3 minutes, waiting for the drive to recharge?

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2008-07-08 03:25   
I actually like the idea of a station providing a dictor support.
the biggest drawback for a station based dictor is the fact that almost any ship can get out of its range fast.

however it will prevent the enemy from close jumping a station and alpha strike him. in case of the heavy hitting Kluth i think that is a very good safeguard for any fleet.

dont give it to all stations but 1 or 2. support and command.

would like to see if the dev's are willing to try this idea out on 1 station class.

- Axi

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-07-08 04:29   
If you want it, you can get it.
But keep in mind that in change it will either need to lose some weaponry to offset the HUDGE dictorgenerator or because of mass it will be a ever slower deathcoffin.

Personally i don't like the idea, unless you can mount a dictor on it, that only stops inbound jumps. but thats hard to get.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-08 05:20   
Not aversed to this idea, but if it is put into place, the current tractor system (or least when I last went into Beta) has to be changed, otherwise getting too close to a station becomes instant, unavoidable death, when it should only be instant.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-07-08 07:32   
Quote:

On 2008-07-08 05:20, YIIMM wrote:
the current tractor system (or least when I last went into Beta) has to be changed

I think it aught to be changed anyways, but thats just me.

I don't know about this idea, since a dictor on a station will be rather long running, due to the Station's energy pull..

And to be honest, if your in a station in a fleet, there should always be a dictor next to you.

Email Supertrooper
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-07-08 10:59   
No - there are ships with dictors for a reason.

Use them.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2008-07-08 11:26   
Quote:

On 2008-07-08 10:59, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

Use them.

You dont gain prestige from sticking around a station with a dictor, dictor is for offensive, a device on a station is for defence. Makes sense to me, and i see it work. I would stick it to the command class only tough, not the supply stations

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-08 14:46   
Quote:

On 2008-07-08 10:59, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:

Use them.

man, I can't wait to gain all that prestige in my dictor

oh wait.

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-08 14:46   
I don't like the idea of a station providing dictor support, that's what dictor ships are made for.

However as a purely defensive side, it may be possible, small, to stop point jumping etc and allow the station to hit the other ship if they get too close.

Although it may be over OPing it..

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-07-08 14:48   
Presumably the grouping system (if/when it gets implemented; I've only really heard speculation) will sort out the dictors-earn-no-pres issue, which will encourage dictors to support stations.

Ospolos
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-08 15:43   
Quote:

On 2008-07-08 14:48, Gejaheline wrote:
Presumably the grouping system (if/when it gets implemented; I've only really heard speculation) will sort out the dictors-earn-no-pres issue, which will encourage dictors to support stations.

I hope that is the case. I don't think interdictors on the Command station is a good idea, your basically giving the planet a dictor before you can build it one. Plus the command station has most fighters, kluth wouldn't really want to attack inside it with other ships supporting it (alpha then jump out is that crucial for kluth)... Besides, better to have dictors on targets that can go down decently fast. Even if its intended for defense use, I can see Command stations jumping HMA into a dread/cruiser with its beams, and fighters and owning it.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-07-08 15:54   
I think both of the major points for and against it have been made.

As it stands in my opinion - there is only extremely valid point to NOT put dictors on Command class stations (How many people can get those anyway? Like 10 of us? And if Platnum badges are put in....) is that it removes the role of the Dictor - which as we all know will not be seeing as much action as we would like.

"Its a team game, someone has to suck it up & take one for the team."
Given the population levels, thats pretty unfeasable IMHO. Population count alone nullifies Jack's response, and the lack of prestige gain further negates it.

Two possible solutions.

A) Kanman's idea which I'm not entirely opposed to, but I do see the exploitive potential.

B) Put a stat in the game - every time a jumpdrive is stopped by your dictor, you get a point. The stat can scale to the size of the ship that you stop. Nothing major, maybe on-par with jump points.

B.1) Same idea as above, except instead of an entirely new stat just contribute to the jump stat. Likewise if you're dictored have it take away from the jump stat.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-07-08 18:09   
Quote:
Let's face it. We all wish a station could be protected with a dictor, but no one wants to be the guy in the dictor ship just sitting by the station for 4 hours.

Don't generalize, as this certainly doesn't include me - I hate dictors of every form.

But that said, I see their value. I would just worry about some of the concerns voiced by others.

Also, we have a general weight/value type system, whereby a class of ships gets a certain value, and each weapon type is given a weighting as well. So if (i'm making up numbers) you have 10 pcannons it might be 10 points but ten torps would be 20, ten fighters would be 30. A dictor might be 15 points. So in order to "fit" one on the station, you'd have to compensate by removing other equipment in order to keep things vaguely balanced.

So, if you are a proponent of having the dictor, what would you remove? A few fighters? A layer of armor? A few weapons? A couple core weapons? A few reactors? (yes, less energy + energy intensive device, brilliant) A jump drive? (of course not, but doing so would get you a few points)

Email Shigernafy
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-07-08 18:15   
Although I like the idea, I'd still have to oppose it simply because it would make the primary role of interdictor cruisers kind of pointless.

I mean, sure you might be more mobile, but.. you don't have any offensive strength and you might as well be a sitting duck with the dictor running.

Personally I'd pick the station over it, simply because at that point, beyond having the strongest weapons and defense in the game (not to mention a couple reloads and builds just for fun), Command Stations become a true all-purpose all-role ship that is practically invincible just on its own.

And personally, I don't want to give the horde of GA's that just need bronze privateer any more reason to camp in stations all day...

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.179382 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR