No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » the Don't die guide to small ships
 Author the Don't die guide to small ships
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-10 10:59   
Greetings new player. Welcome to Darkspace 1.500, you picked the right time to join. Fresh blood is needed.

You should have read about the factions already, about their quriks about hteir strengths and about the fact that older players whack out the dreads to hunt for scouts, Frigates and basicly everything not dread sized in a crazy space version of "whack a mole".

With you being the only mole, without a hole and the whack being a fist slamming the unsuspecting spacebar of some lonely, helpless and abused keyboard somewhere on this planet.

Welcome to Darkspace where Grandadmirals and other highranks will go out of their way to add your skull to their wall.

Here now is the Hitchhikers guide to the Darkspace.

Funny how this is already the most important part of this guide.

HITCHHIKING.

The supreme art of clinging to a Dreadnought of your team, hiding behind it to avoid being shot and just popping up to take shots at other peoples hulls that just got exposed after that dread ripped the armor and shields.

Thats it already. You don't need to know more. Play captainsfish and cling to the Sharks because alone youre lost.

Just kidding. Here are some more detailed instructions for your survival:

1.) Frigates, Scouts and destroyers all are not best equipped to being out there alone. They will get point jumped, alphaed and then die. Understand this: Youre flying a small vessel designed to outmaneuver bigger ones and to hunt ships of the same size or one size class up.

Scouts dont realy hunt anything, they are utility. offering eccm/ecm and other useful stuff.

Frigates hunt scouts and in groups destroyers.
Destroyers hunt Frigates, scouts and Cruisers.
Cruisers arent small ships anymore.

You are not supposed to go into combat with fullborn dreadnoughts. It will end badly for you. Flying alone in the open invites dreadnoughts. Avoid doing that.

2.) Your role:

Unless there are frigates, destroyers or scouts to hunt your role will be fire support. you will assist dreadnoughts and cruisers in damaging their respective targets. Good thing: since the dreadnought will take care of stripping the target of its armor, you will get free shots at the targets hull which nets lots of Prestige.

Combat prestige at that. The prestige thats worth a lot and that conveniently unlocks more ships.

Do NOT engage targets on your own unless they are one of the types youre designed to hunt.

3.) How to?

Easy: Pick a friendly dread, if yo ucan an assault class, and fly near to it (100 gu) then hit the F button for follow command. Then you will target the player, type /t and TELL HIM YOU ARE THERE AIDING HIM.

I cannot stress this enough because if you don't tell him he might not notice you until his alpha of doom tears you into hull.

Ok, so the dread of your choosing has engaged, what do you do?
First: You make sure not to get inbetween him and his target, because he will effing smoke you.
Second: You wil ltake position at his rear. at 50-100 GU. This allows you to "slide" to the left and right to shoot his target without hitting him and you can quickly slide under him for ptotection.

"Under him?"
Yes. Notice the armor rings? his are considerably LARGER than yours that means enemy ammunition will hit HIS rings but not yours.

The key to survival is to always have a dread handy to bring between you and the guy shooting you.

That kluth who just tried to alpha your ship? he now has pissed of an effing dreadnought and most likely will let off of you because that volley of doom in his face kind of obstructs his view.

Hide behind dreads, they can take the punishment and they will feel like heroes for taking bullets for you (not).

Theres another thing:

Dreads do not jump to save small fires. If youre out there, alone and are getting ambushed you realy are alone. Its unlikely one of that Grand admirals will move his rear for your sake. However ppl spring to action to save other dreads, for whatever inconceivable reason.

Lesson: Stick to dreads and profit from it. Captainfish. Hitchhiker. Leech.
Dread Groupie.

[ This Message was edited by: Russian Roulette with Muskets on 2008-10-10 11:08 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Russian Roulette with Muskets on 2008-10-10 11:12 ]

Lacrosseian
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2008-10-10 11:59   
Oddly enough, I just told a friend I am trying to get addicted to this game to do just exactly what you typed...

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-10 12:02   
Quote:

On 2008-10-10 11:59, Lacrosseian wrote:
Oddly enough, I just told a friend I am trying to get addicted to this game to do just exactly what you typed...

Its the common sense in you. it orders you.

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-10 12:03   
hehe very nice guide
actually made me laugh.
hopefully this will help some of our new players get the hang of things faster.

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-10 12:53   
Give da man a cookie!

What a way with words, that part bout the alpha slam just made my day.

Want to add some special tips for the new kluth pilots:
First, welcome. U closet Romulans and klingons. Cloak on small ships are very efficent, u can cloak and decloak in less than 2 seconds. Equip a ECM and it'll be even faster.

Ur ship is a little be more survivable than ICC or Ugto, u can fight more independently. Just remember, DONT GET CLOSER THAN 400gu of dreads and stations. Select long range weapons: missiles and canons.

And if u get jumped, E jump away, ur got AMjumpdrives, they are the FASTEST of all JD at recharge.

If ur dictored or not charged, cloak and evasive. move away from them cause they can ECCM 'ping' ur ship for a short 2 sec. if ur close to Chemical laser range, urll get hurt.

Lastly, ur more agile and speedly, circle or jump to the wounded side of teh enemy and keep pepering him till ur bigger teammates get into positon to Ruptor Stir Fry his toasty little buns.
[ This Message was edited by: Delando on 2008-10-10 12:55 ]

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-10-10 14:57   
May I add.....avoid Kluth dred point jumps the most if you are alone, even when orbit of a planet. We can smell that crap 100,000,000 GU's away. There is nothing more nasty than a Siphons alpha strike on a smaller vessel.

[ This Message was edited by: Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) on 2008-10-10 14:58 ]

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Thr@wn
Cadet

Posted: 2008-10-10 15:41   
How can you keep a Luth ship from cloaking and running when he is going down?

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-10 15:46   
One would need an interdictor cruiser and enough firepower to bring the kluth into burning hull so one can keep pounding him.

Or abuse eccm pinging.

Kluth can avoid death better than anyone, unless eccm pinging is used to a large extend.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-10-10 15:51   
Quote:

On 2008-10-10 15:41, Thr@wn wrote:
How can you keep a Luth ship from cloaking and running when he is going down?

beacons and eccm

Email -Shadowalker-™
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-10 18:20   
Quote:
On 2008-10-10 10:59, Russian Roulette with Muskets wrote:
Easy: Pick a friendly dread, if yo ucan an assault class, and fly near to it (100 gu) then hit the F button for follow command. Then you will target the player, type /t and TELL HIM YOU ARE THERE AIDING HIM.

Your advice is true to your name, Russian Roulette.

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-10 18:47   
Don't rip things out of context please.

Page created in 0.019912 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR