No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » suggestion: server integration
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author suggestion: server integration
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-13 13:29   
14:23:01 [VCA]leonide *FM*{recruiting}: "draf, it is possible to have the other servers que each other for map information, right?"

14:23:16 [Myth]Drafell: "leo, probably."
14:23:27 [Myth]Drafell: "but you need to whine to faustus about it until he does it"

14:23:38 [Myth]Drafell: "no point telling me."
14:24:04 [VCA]leonide *FM*{recruiting}: "and have the TCP line linked to eachother so we can have chat linked with all servers..."

so Richard Lyle, is it possible? can you have the TCP/UDP interconnected with each server so we get the entire Metaverse viewable under F2, including chat, so we can have it like .483?

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-10-13 14:57   
Yes. Lets undermine the entire reason that the MV was seperated into clusters. Brilliant!

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-10-13 15:20   
I would rather have one MV cluster with backup clusters for a failover.

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-13 15:53   
The point here, Coeus, is to give people in one server some idea of what's happening in another server. Whether this is from the nav map or chat or something else, it's still better than what we've got now--which is basically just word-of-mouth.

Email Jim Starluck
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-13 16:24   
Quote:

On 2008-10-13 15:53, Jim Starluck wrote:
The point here, Coeus, is to give people in one server some idea of what's happening in another server. Whether this is from the nav map or chat or something else, it's still better than what we've got now--which is basically just word-of-mouth.

in other news, people billions of light years away have up to the minute reports on real-time war data happening billions of light years away.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-13 16:35   
Well rather like when individual stars were servers and clicking on them showed the number of players within, some way of knowing at least the number of players in the server would be nice. Whether its via stars, jumpgates, or some other method, being able to figure at least that much out within game would be nice.

Chat though... I'm less interested in that.

Having another channel, global faction or something, wouldn't be a bad idea... just leave the normal chat as within the server. But having all the chat doesn't seem quite as necessary.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2008-10-13 16:36 ]

Email Shigernafy
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-13 18:36   
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 16:35, Shigernafy wrote:
Well rather like when individual stars were servers and clicking on them showed the number of players within, some way of knowing at least the number of players in the server would be nice. Whether its via stars, jumpgates, or some other method, being able to figure at least that much out within game would be nice.

That would be a nice feature. Just have live information of the system you are in and every other system just the total players and allies.

Quote:
On 2008-10-13 16:35, Shigernafy wrote:
Chat though... I'm less interested in that.

Having another channel, global faction or something, wouldn't be a bad idea... just leave the normal chat as within the server. But having all the chat doesn't seem quite as necessary.

indeed, could just move every player that joins the MV to the "Metaverse" room. But that might create confusion since you would be talking to not only your own faction but the enemy's to.
Or could have a extra command that sends to all players of your faction across every MV zone/server. maybe /faction could be adjusted to do that or is that already used in normal MV chat?

any case, its this chat issue is worth thinking about.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-10-13 21:44   
Actually, I'd just like to see warnings from other clusters.

As for a chat, I've always thought that there should be a fleet officers channel for the entire faction..

Email Supertrooper
Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-13 22:02   
If we are really concerned with chat. I doubt it would be difficult to have the client force a player to autojoin a faction room that is password protected for only that faction.

Meaning: You log in > Moved to ICC Room > Use /say command to communicat to all ICC logged in.

Really if you could just /say and let people know whats goign on would be very helpful, and probably easier to implement. Players could do it themselves right now if needed.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-14 00:39   
Quote:

On 2008-10-13 14:57, Coeus wrote:
Yes. Lets undermine the entire reason that the MV was seperated into clusters. Brilliant!

i sometimes like to know what is going on across the MV.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Ship-Of-Fools
2nd Rear Admiral
Angry Mob

Posted: 2008-10-14 01:13   
Quote:

On 2008-10-14 00:39, leonide *FM*{recruiting} wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-10-13 14:57, Coeus wrote:

i sometimes like to know what is going on across the MV.

I think the heart of this is its FREAKING boring building/etc, and u need entertainment while u wait for level 3 defence to build (which by my calculations takes 19 hours)

its always fun to get an lol from

Ship-Of-Fools: hahaha I pawn Joos Doran!!!!!!
Doran: huh?
Server:Ship-Of-Fools destroyed by Doran

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-14 11:48   
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 01:33, Ship-Of-Fools wrote:
I think the heart of this is its FREAKING boring building/etc, and u need entertainment while u wait for level 3 defence to build (which by my calculations takes 19 hours)

I can see you don't build a lot.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-14 15:40   
Building a level 3 defense base shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, tops. I can't recall the exact number, but I know no building actually takes near to an hour, let alone 19.

To address the building issue, I like reading while building. I propose something light to read, like Last Seen Wearing Trainers by Rosie Rushton, or the impressive Dr Who series. (on that note, we definitely need Daleks implemented as a race, naow. EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE.)

As far as server integration and chat goes, I think it's important to look at the pros of realism and the pros of practicality. Not being able to get info from all across the metaverse might make sense in realism, but as far as gameplay goes, there is simply no real conceivable merit to get from it. It doesn't support scouting that much, it doesn't support interaction and it more often than not will force one person to check out the other server zones to see what's up... Then travel back again to warn the others... And this needs to be done repeatedly by people wanting to get what's going on.

Can't we have rooms called UGTO/ICC/K'Luth/Pirates/MIR, which can only be joined if you are part of a faction (can the server actually check which faction you are in?) or if you have a specific flag in your profile. (staff being able to join any room at will)

Maybe password lock them, tell only staff the passwords and have the server bypass that whenever a player joins a faction to automatically place them in said chatroom?

I really have little clue what is acquirable as far as coding goes. Perhaps you can have each server process the communication from each other server and pass it on to eachother, so that a "/faction Hi all" will be sent to each and every server rather than just the server you are connected to at the time?

[/silly suggestions]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-10-14 16:04   
building lvl 3 dbases take 6 mins with 1 build node 3 mins with 2 build nodes think only ugto,icc engies have 2 nodes though

Email Borgie
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-14 16:20   
Have you guys ever considered that he may have been exaggerating for comedic effect?

Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.016770 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR