No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [IDEA] Solar Flares
 Author [IDEA] Solar Flares
DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2008-10-19 23:10   
Hey I was thinking on how cool it would be to have "Space weather" AKA Solar Flares that will occure at random from a systems star/stars... how this could be inplemented...

OK everyone is on a flat plane right... right. We have a simple invisible box with a graphic render of a solar storm come towards the edges of the solar system. Have them take a ammount of time before they reach the end of the solar system... This would create the illusion of space weather by haveing it randomly damage the internal workings of a ship.... it would give DarkSpace an element that even the most popular space games do not have.... We could make it all prty looking... It would be ausome... Not much codeing to do I would guess... You set the Boxes for instance 100pixles across by 100pixles wide and wala have 7 of them come out in burts at a time at slightly difrent angles of each other at difrent times all going the same speed and you got a solar storm... comon it sounds great can we please try it?
[ This Message was edited by: ForFax on 2008-10-19 23:20 ]

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
| Dark Hiigaran |
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-10-20 06:39   
i was thinking of some thing like that for a while ago but never decided to post it =P ok what i was thinking is that when the solar flare should be like 5k wide and like 5k long (gu) and it would be visable and a alert should be give like "collision alert" is for planets but for this should be like i dunno "incoming solar flare" and when it hits u ur signiture boosts up to 200 and u experiance EMP (low energy and system shut down for 60s)

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/22/sun_solar_flares.jpg

it would come from the sun and it would look like that and it would be also visable from F2

the flare would run it in like 30-40 gu (lenght of a avrage system)
[ This Message was edited by: Pride OF Hiigara*P4*{Angel Of Evil} on 2008-10-20 06:42 ]

Email | Dark Hiigaran |
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-10-20 22:22   
Er, uh. No.

Solar Prominences would be alot better, since it doesnt go out and damage ships. It'd be alot easier to put in (Only a graphical change, can basicaly copy it from Inferno planets) and it wouldn't effect gameplay.

But I do agree that we could do a few smaller things to make the game abit more graphicaly appealing.

Email Supertrooper
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-21 09:16   
The idea is nice however.

I agree with crim, no damage to ships.
But uuh, we might add a natural interdictor field to it, to keep things interesting.

But instead of just a solar flare, how about adding Ion storm ?? or particle Rift ?? the possibilities are endless.
Don't forget we already have a Christal entity sucking power so why not a large Cosmic storm or Anomaly that creates all kinds of other dangerous hazards.

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2008-10-21 12:12   
Quote:

On 2008-10-21 09:16, Eledore[NL]//Wibble\ wrote:

But instead of just a solar flare, how about adding Ion storm ?? or particle Rift ?? the possibilities are endless.
Don't forget we already have a Christal entity sucking power so why not a large Cosmic storm or Anomaly that creates all kinds of other dangerous hazards.

I always thought having different nebulas have certain advantages/disadvantages to them like this would be nice.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-10-21 13:11   
Ghehe not only that but i would love to have some interstellar Moving Ion storms, it would just take some thinking how to manage them in game.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-10-23 14:32   
Quote:

On 2008-10-21 12:12, Julian Delphiki *P2* wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-10-21 09:16, Eledore[NL]//Wibble wrote:

I always thought having different nebulas have certain advantages/disadvantages to them like this would be nice.

A while back we had an Ion Storm that did damage, if I remember right.

I'd jump through it and end up damaged, which there may have possibly been asteroids in the ion cloud.. =P

Email Supertrooper
Page created in 0.011163 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR