No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [SUGGESTION/DISCUSSION] Jumpgate capture/control?
 Author [SUGGESTION/DISCUSSION] Jumpgate capture/control?
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-11-03 22:14   
Okay. As it is, the Metaverse is huge, vast, and generally big. While this is a generally good thing, since it provides an epic battlefield with lots of variety (insofar as you get variety in a game where the primary terrain is absolutely nothing at all), it's also a bad thing, as it scatters people all over the place, and ships can easily bypass each other.
This, of course, leads to a lack of the most important thing in the game: Conflict.

Now, the main issue, I feel, is that it's very easy to move strategically. You can usually get across an entire system in one or two jumps, regardless of who owns it, and start attacking things far behind enemy lines, leading to strange situations like Earth being conquered in spite of the fact that UGTO might hold half the galaxy.

So how do we make it harder? Primarily, there is a need to provide a region of the MV that is unarguably in conflict, making it difficult for ships to push forwards past the enemy line and giving the enemy time to get into combat with invaders.

I heard an idea which I rather liked (I can't recall where, annoyingly): Gate capturing. The idea that gates belonged to a faction, and would only permit ships of their team from passing through while giving a warning (as planets do) when the enemy is nearby.
I'm not entirely sure how this should work, though. There are two obvious ways, to me:

Firstly, you could capture gates with infantry, as you capture ships and platforms. This would make advancing against the enemy relatively easy if there aren't any defenders, but could be very hard if there are defenders present.

Alternatively, you could declare that gates belonged to whomever owned the system. You would have to capture enough planets that the system turned over to you, and then you could pass through. It could get a bit tedious bombing lots of worlds, but securing ground has never been easy in any form of warfare. Makes it harder for ships to quickly rush through a series of well-secured systems, however.

Also, there's the question of ownership of each end of the gate. If they're owned seperately, can you go through a friendly gate, appear at the enemy-held end gate, and then retreat? Or would you be stuck? If gate pairs are owned, what determines their alignment? Of course, you could render those gates "contested" and open to all, which would make counteroffensives possible and easily reveal which gates need to be blockaded.

Any thoughts? Obviously, devs have final say on if this is at all workable into the game code.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2008-11-03 22:21 ]

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-11-04 13:42   
THAT sounds like an awesome idea

i would love to see it implemented in the game

Email Walrus of Apathy
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-11-04 18:14   
I recall....

here it is.
faustus saying something about that in the past, its been publicly discussed but i haven't seen any idea put in to motion yet.

Check the rest of that thread.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-11-04 18:49   
Ah, yes, that's the one. Thankee, m'dear. At least the topic has its own thread now, if nothing else.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2008-11-04 18:53 ]

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-11-05 05:59   
well theres 3 factions, so the system where the main gate leads to the each factions home world should be in a center of a big cluster of planets.

So that way u need to cap the cluster inorder to go trough the homeworld gate or make it more difficult to get there, once u own the cluster u have sy there and it will be more easy to get in.

That way each homesystem will have an "Gate passway" to defend. if u lose it, the enemies will come into the homesystems.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-11-06 10:51   
Quote:

On 2008-11-05 05:59, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:

That way each homesystem will have an "Gate passway" to defend. if u lose it, the enemies will come into the homesystems.

Or, you know, they cloak and fly through. Or jump through it. Not to mention how having a gate orbited by planets makes a mockery of celestial mechanics...

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2008-11-06 11:12   
well its bether then having nothing atleast...own the planets..own the gate..what about that then?

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-11-06 19:36   
You mean something similar to this bit?

Quote:

On 2008-11-03 22:14, Gejaheline wrote:

...[Y]ou could declare that gates belonged to whomever owned the system. You would have to capture enough planets that the system turned over to you, and then you could pass through...

Page created in 0.013276 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR