Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Metaverse Ideas
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Metaverse Ideas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-09 21:52   
the entire idea about the metaverse is that it's one big world with lots of freedom, that's why I miss the scenario servers a lot. Sure, it has been lots of fun for the past week with all the new changes, but I miss the conquest, the strategic values of certain planets that had specific recourses, and the competition that occured because of it. People need to have common goals for teamplay to work to it's fullest extend. also, AI are nice, but sometimes it makes people take less risks and go for prestige farming.. if only they could be more integrated into pvp

we have the infrastructure of a great game, now we need more content, more strategy!

what about missions? orders? rewards? different ways of building planets? more ship customization? more interaction among players..

what if there were certain benefits to winning in scenario servers that could be seen in the metaverse? like command points for certain teams? new technology? extra build options on planets? different components for ships?

I would very much like to bring the players more together.. Sure, the absense of scenario servers might direct all players to the metaverse, but it might very well be the case, that players that are usually drawn to scenario gameplay might get bored a lot easier by lack of structure..

at least from my point of view

don't get me wrong, i LOVE this game, and I think the recent increase in activity is great, but let's keep Darkspace as interesting as possible to keep us people together!

[ This Message was edited by: *A*42861 on 2009-01-09 21:54 ]

*Nemesis*©
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-01-09 22:13   
i skipped to the end and collected $200

free bump

G.Adm. Kirk
Grand Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2009-01-09 22:17   
Jim has some great ideas and managed to put them all down on paper in a readable format. Kudos!

While I was reading through your post, I was reminded heavily of Spore space stage. While the game sucked, the space stage was epic in nature. Trade routes were opened and resources were gathered in a similar manner to the map proposed here. If it worked properly, the supply path system could work wonders.

Exercising a penalty on planets that were not supplied by the homeworld would discourage random capping and would reinforce the idea of the metaverse. IMO, penalties should be significant- limit to 10 structures, -500 resources per tick, etc.

Great work, Jim.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-01-09 23:04   
Quote:

On 2009-01-09 21:52, *A*42861 wrote:
at least from my point of view

It's not just your point of view If the old-style scenario servers were back, without the time limits (or very long time limits at the most) I'd still be playing. The MV is lackluster for me. Always has been. Log on, jump in a combat ship, look for some action, if there is none you either fly around trying to create it or sit there and wait. Maybe other people have different MV experiences.

The MV definitely needs gameplay that brings back the urgency and rushed feeling of the scenario servers. Those who played it back when there was no MV know what I mean. It was all about building up to those cruisers and dreads, having a big battle, then doing it all over again in the next game. Sorta like playing a RTS online, like AOE2.

As to the original topic, I do like the idea at heart. I think it's rather complicated and I have a feeling they want this game less complicated judging by the oversimplified resource system (which btw is perhaps the one system in game that didn't need a change). But something needs to be done to make certain planets valuable, to make them desirable targets and to give real reasons to attempt to capture them, not just because there's nothing going on in the MV and something needs to be done to create some action.

See, in the old scenario servers there definitely were those few planets that weren't just desirable, they were necessary. Big battles would erupt over the terran planets or the planets with the rare resources whose names I forget now. In the MV, nobody cares right? I'd guess even less so now with the oversimplified resources.

I like the logistics system proposed. Needs fleshing out, and maybe it would be better if factions could choose their logistics links (some more optimal than others, like terran planets in a link being best and barren worst). That way all hope is not lost just because 1 planet is lost. Would be weird to shut down an entire fully built system because of the loss of one planet.

EDIT: What I mean is, players choose logistics links from among the many planets in a system. Using terran planets is best due to their population. More population along the chain = more benefit. Obviously players would use them for the links. But if they're lost, the less desirable planets could still be used. Even if a faction only has 1 barren planet in a system, that 1 barren planet could act as a link and a way to press the invasion to connected systems.

Of course it all boils down to desire to invade to begin with. What's the purpose in invading? What are the rewards? That's the one thing that's always been missing in the MV: a reason to invade (beyond just trying to create some action like I said). In the scenarios the reason to capture planets was obvious. In the MV it's not, because there actually is no reason to control anything beyond your home system.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-01-09 23:10 ]

Digibear
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-01-10 10:39   
Needs a summary.. I read it but it is way long.

Anyways. My only problem with it is... You know for a fact, there will be a constant capturing of Homeworlds just to keep a race down.. and I really don't want to not be able to play my race because 4 Stations 3 dreads and a few supplies decide to have a quick run at all our hoeworlds

Email Digibear
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-01-10 13:21   
Quote:

On 2009-01-10 10:39, Chongun wrote:
Needs a summary.. I read it but it is way long.

Anyways. My only problem with it is... You know for a fact, there will be a constant capturing of Homeworlds just to keep a race down.. and I really don't want to not be able to play my race because 4 Stations 3 dreads and a few supplies decide to have a quick run at all our hoeworlds

Except they wouldn't be able to reach the homeworlds until they captured the gates leading to them. Even if they tried spawning from the interserver gates, they'd still have multiple gates between them and the homeworld. They could long-jump through deep space, but that burns precious supply drones... especially if you're dragging a bunch of Stations along for the ride. They take a lot more to fuel than anything else.

And ideally, a high-tech planet would be much, much harder to conquer than they are currently. Another thing I considered--but didn't include in the original post as I wasn't sure it would be practical--was having the maximum number of structures on a planet dependent on its tech level. At Tech 10, it gets 10 to start with. At Tech 20, it gains 9 for a total of 19. At Tech 30, it gains 8 for a total of 27. At Tech 40, it gains 7 for a total of 34. Etc, etc. You wind up getting a maximum of 55 structures at Tech 100, but then you're going to wind up needing a lot of resources to support those high-tech structures.

Email Jim Starluck
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-01-10 14:00   
Again yeah, its a conglonmeration of big ideas, so it'd take some thinking through if you don't grasp the whole concept at once.

For a brief summary of the total concept: The idea is to make planets important by making them dependant on one another, basically. The MV would become like a stepladder from each homeworld, having to capture and build systems in an ordered predetermined way such as to give drive to the MV in a scenario like way that concentrates combat around important worlds in systems where two (or more) factions collide.

Its a horrible, gross oversimplification of the entire thing, but it should do for the lazy.

Also Jim, I think it might be better if total structures were dependant on planet type/planet size, 32 being the absolute bare minimum (small barren worlds) and for truly massive, terran worlds (which would encompass at least half of the Node worlds) those planets could support 64 or more structures.

As it stands, planets do definitely need to beefed up, as they are difficult to capture but conversely, don't really have the firepower to drive away ships (particularly with how bad missiles are).

But perhaps planets would be harder to capture in general if there wasn't so many dreads and stations abound.

-Ent

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-01-10 20:10   
Which would be helped if structures require resources to function. That way spawning new ships has to be balanced with the usual economy.

It would work even better if you were still charged resources for destroyed ships that are returned to your hangar.

Email Jim Starluck
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.013998 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR