No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » New Game
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Game
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-02-04 20:47   
Ok. I need everyone to hear me out of this one, because it's gonna be fun.... when it exists.

This post is for 3 things. The first would be getting feedback of a group of people whom enjoy spacegames on how enjoyable this sounds. Second, I would like ideas on any further add-ons, etc which could be incorporated into this idea. And lastly, and this is the really big one, to attract the interest of people (Jack, Faustus, etc) whom are capable of actually making this game be real.

.... A new forth purpose has arisen. I need to know if I used 'whom' correctly above. I never know.

Ok. The game. When trying it visualize, think the Vipers on Battlestar. You have a ship (a variety of ship sizes, etc are available). You make a 3D (2D is necessary, but 3D preferred) space environment to actual scale. Keep it down to a single solar system.

Now, you have a ship which has limited fuel. There are 2 primary types of fuel. Main Fuel (make me go fast) and manuevering fuel (for use by short-burst air jets to re-orient your vessel. These fuels have mass and are consumed as some rate when used. YOUR VESSEL HAS NO TOP SPEED. You fuel limits your top speed. You must simply be sure to return to 'port' before you run out. The mass of your remaining fuel should be incorporated into calculations when changing orientation or altering speed.

Ok, basic idea down. Now for the more intricate details. The planets and moons effect a gravitational effect on your ship (and the pilot). That means you must pilot yourself into a proper, stable orbit when you come to dock. These gravitational effects also influence your travelling path. You can do like NASA and find a less straight-line path which slings you around a couple moons or something and gets you to your destination faster and using less fuel.

The Red Line. That is what we would call the line that says you no longer have the fuel to get yourself home. Now, intuition states that red line would be half your fuel. This is incorrect in a simple example. Imagine you fly out from some starting point in space (from which you started at rest). You use half your fuel, increasing in speed all the while. At half fuel, you turn around and starting firing back home.... BUT you were going XXXX miles per hour, and now you used the remainder of your fuel to come to 0 milers per hour at some distant location in space. No fuel left and you are sitting still. You die in space and lose. Taking this into account and also considering the slingshot possibilities of nearby moons and planets makes a computer incapable of projecting a Red Line for you. You will simply have to be smart enough and clever enough to get home with whatever fuel you have.

G-forces on the pilot will also be calculated. This means if you whip around a moon too fast, for too long, you die. Or, maybe the pilot passes out, leaving your ship to drift at its currently set rocket controls (losing fuel) until you wake up.

Mainly, I need a reason for people to be flying around to begin with. Perhaps add guns or something. I don't know. Figure it out.

Secondly. I can do all the math involved in this suggested game, but I have not the foggiest of understandings of graphics and information displays and user control interface, etc. Thus, I throw this idea out there, hoping that Faustus or something will think it cool and make it.

The planets and moons should be updating in position constantly, as they move in their respective orbits, thus making the pilot hoping to get there need to aim at where the planet WILL be (gotta be just that awesome).

To keep computations down, the planet and moon positions/motions can be hard coded (cos (wt) or something). Also, ships will only calculate the infuence of planets and moons, not other ships. This means the number of factors influencing the gravitational effects is constant, regardless of the number of players and can be done on the user end, keeping server computations down.

The Dream: I imagine a ship firing off the little bit left of his boosters in towards a planet with like 10 moons. And this path is so carefully calculated and skillfully piloted, that this ship whips around the various moons in a super-elaborate figure-8 type motion, finally being launched from the planet cluster at high speed straight home and into a clean orbit of the port. That pilot is just THAT awesome.

Suggestions? Please make this game..... Please! I wanna play it!

Kanman

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-04 20:51   
sounds kick arse, but coming into port at a couple hundred km/s isnt exactly "safe" if you know what i mean, also are weapons going to have an effect on momentum?

Email Sens [R33]
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-04 20:57   
why make it a shooting game? why not make it a Racing game.

one thing u must take into account, if your gunna get savvy with gravity and that kind of stuff, then you have to take momentum into account. IE if im flying 100km per hour and i shut my engine off, ill continue flying in a laser straight 100km/h trajectory untill i turn the engine off, do a 180 and hit the gas.

and third like, if this actually begins to get off the ground, msg me i want in on the graphics side.

Email Meko
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-02-04 21:03   
Quote:

On 2009-02-04 20:51, Sensitivity{Acedic} wrote:
sounds kick arse, but coming into port at a couple hundred km/s isnt exactly "safe" if you know what i mean, also are weapons going to have an effect on momentum?

Absolutely momentum is taken into account. That is why your current fuel amount will be taken into account when hitting the gas. It has mass. As for approaching port, if you can achieve an orbit, we will assume they have AI service bots that can synchronize and catch up to you to pass on the fuel needed to bring you down to a slow and proper orbit or let you take off again.

Quote:

why make it a shooting game? why not make it a Racing game.

one thing u must take into account, if your gunna get savvy with gravity and that kind of stuff, then you have to take momentum into account. IE if im flying 100km per hour and i shut my engine off, ill continue flying in a laser straight 100km/h trajectory untill i turn the engine off, do a 180 and hit the gas.

and third like, if this actually begins to get off the ground, msg me i want in on the graphics side.

Racing game could be good. A shooting game, however can easily be made a racing game by a select few simply choosing to race rather than fight.

As for your example about having to turn around and fire engines to come to a stop or return home, that is exactly what I said in the Red Line paragraph about running out of fuel and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere going 0 miles per hour. Good that you get the idea though.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-04 21:16   
the scenario im talking about is if you fired a said anti ship cannon with alot of recoil, would it affect your current speed? Also, you live learn the penninsula? Besides snowman i dont think ive seen anyone else from VA

Email Sens [R33]
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-04 21:22   
oh my bad i skimmed it too fast!

as for the runfire recoil speed chaing stuff, you could just incoporate a 'stabilization' rocket that matches the forces of the gunfire to counter-act it. (so basically with fancy graphics and word weaving, no effect on flight)

Email Meko
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-02-04 21:57   
[=MOK=]-Shadowalker- @154570 sent to your fleet: "when he does get back on tell that i aprove his idea of a game, i can't post in forums because of something wrong on my end. "

he told me to do it!

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-02-05 01:19   
This does not sound relevant to my interests.

Unfortunately, realistic limits (such as fuel) tend to have a negative impact on level of fun - unless you're into realistic games (which I am not).

Get rid of that, and it would perhaps be more interesting. I would really like to see a very high speed space combat simulation but it would likely be impractical.

-Ent

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-02-05 01:55   
Quote:

On 2009-02-04 20:47, Kanman *FM* wrote:
Ok. I need everyone to hear me out of this one, because it's gonna be fun.... when it exists.

This post is for 3 things. The first would be getting feedback of a group of people whom enjoy spacegames on how enjoyable this sounds. Second, I would like ideas on any further add-ons, etc which could be incorporated into this idea. And lastly, and this is the really big one, to attract the interest of people (Jack,

I aint reading more...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-02-05 04:38   
Technically, it seems well within the realms of being realistic.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-02-05 15:24   
Quote:

On 2009-02-05 04:38, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Technically, it seems well within the realms of being realistic.

And horrifyingly complicated. While it would be totally awesome to faceplant Venus at five hundred thousand miles per second or something ridiculous (Ooh! add relatavistic effects!), I'm not sure if you'd be able to actually get anywhere practical without a lot of skill, practice, and assistance.

I can see highly-realistic space combat in orbit, and perhaps even a simple transfer from a planet's orbit to the orbit of a moon, but anything more complex might tax the brains of most people.

I'd still play it, though
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2009-02-05 16:45 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-05 21:18   
actually, the calculations arent beyond the realm of possibilty, even for a high school student; Its not impossible, but its not a walk in the park. Its a great idea though, although some more concepts could be implemented. Like I said before, this is a very interesting idea.

Email Sens [R33]
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-02-06 10:37   
Fuel limitations and vessel mass will be structured around preventing you from reaching realtivistic speeds. Relativity would be impossible on a server. How can one player be progressing in the game at 1/2 the speed of time as another player? And what if someone find a way around to loop backwards in time.... How will the server produce a player in a battle whom hasnt departed to the battle yet?

Relativity is out. Hands down.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-02-06 10:59   
Quote:

On 2009-02-06 10:37, Kanman *FM* wrote:
*Snip*

I do so hate it when people take me too seriously...

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-07 12:41   
Quote:

On 2009-02-06 10:59, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-06 10:37, Kanman *FM* wrote:
*Snip*

I do so hate it when people take me too seriously...

was a funny idea tho

Email Sens [R33]
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019662 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR