- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » interdictors
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
 Author interdictors
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-25 14:35   
Ironically the conditions you set are unrealistic because no MD in its right mind would stay in position with any dread, much less an EAD attacking it. Furthermore, you have to take arcs into account, had the side or rear arcs been damaged, chances are the EAD would have been reeling by the time it reached the MD; with that being said, direct simulations are no substitute for actual combat testing as player error and tactics can tip the scales in more ways than you can shake a stick at. Raw numbers need to be analyzed before they can be used as evidence.

-Sens

Email Sens [R33]
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-25 17:13   
Also, I'm pretty sure I was arc-bugged; I seemed to take all the damage in my AFT facing armor first, then in the FORE, which was of course pointed at the MD I was charging. Without that nifty effect, I may have died much more quickly on the longer range tests and had more of a run for my money on the 1000gu test - though as Jim says, as soon as I got into flux range, he was toast. Even if I was already taking system damage, he was doomed at that point.

On the other hand, presumably the planet would have been firing at me too, which in this test we avoided. And there might have been allies.

So a lone ship on a lone ship, 1250 makes some sense - but with the assumption that it takes two to dictor, a shorter range (ie, the current 1000) might not be so bad.

Then again, we can tweak that to determine how powerful the dictor is for defense - more tilts the balance towards the defender, less towards the attacker.

Email Shigernafy
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-25 17:42   
I dont believe it was the arc bug(you fixed it remeber?) The missiles probally overshot you and turned around(aren't you glad you gave the workable tracking?) As you got close they just had a better trajectory and nailed you head on. Which brings an issue to mind: why do missiles fly farther away from the line of fire when the target is farther away?

visual representation:

* = missle path
- = space
<> = ship

short range:

--------------------
---*******------
<>----------**<>

long range:

----------**********-----------------------------------------
--------*-----------------*********--------------------------
------*----------------------------------******----------------
----*----------------------------------------------******------
--*----------------------------------------------------------**---
<>--------------------------------------------------------------<>

crude I know but I'm a bit too lazy to make it pretty.

Email Sens [R33]
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-03-25 18:45   
Sparkle: As far as I'm concerned, long-range ships should have just as much of a role as close-range ships. Right now the Missile Dread is of limited utility because you can always jump into close range. If the EAD is dictored, why shouldn't the MD be able to kill it?

Besides, if I wanted long-range ships to dominate, I would've suggested 1500 across the board. At 1250 the EAD still has a good chance of winning if it charges in full speed; it can get up in the MDs face and inside minimum missile range before it is permanently crippled.

Sensitivity: No, I was camera'd on Shig as he was coming at me. Besides, most of the MDs missiles fire straight forwards now (THANK YOU whoever did that, missile fire arcs have always bugged me). It was pretty clear that the missiles were hitting his fore arc, but his aft arc was taking damage.

Seems the arc bug wasn't quite as fixed as we thought.

Email Jim Starluck
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-25 19:17   
Might not be an arc bug so much as a "positioning bug" where the damage registers on the wrong section of the ship because of the continued motion of the "projectile" after the explosion animation(highly unlikely but the missiles DO travel at high velocities, it isn't entirely out of the question)

Email Sens [R33]
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-03-25 20:15   
Quote:

On 2009-03-25 18:45, Jim Starluck wrote:
Sparkle: As far as I'm concerned, long-range ships should have just as much of a role as close-range ships. Right now the Missile Dread is of limited utility because you can always jump into close range. If the EAD is dictored, why shouldn't the MD be able to kill it?

Besides, if I wanted long-range ships to dominate, I would've suggested 1500 across the board. At 1250 the EAD still has a good chance of winning if it charges in full speed; it can get up in the MDs face and inside minimum missile range before it is permanently crippled.

I agree with you on them having a role. I used to love the old missile dread (the OLD one, from beta and right after launch). I like long-ranged combat myself, but not with this current version and the massive amount of missiles and fighters that are being launched.

(problem is, reducing the amount that are launched severely nerfs them since PD can destroy them all before the ship gets overwhelmed)

Right now my vote is to keep the dictors the way they were. Seriously. Too many changes being suggested, and I think that any more changes to this game (besides little ones) jeopardizes it's future. Like right now it's 10pm EST and there's 8 people in the MV. It's prime time and there's like no people playing.

I've pretty much said everything I can possibly say about dictors. I'm not a fan of them, but I'm even less of a fan of drastic changes to them, like beam destroyers or anything else that drastically changes this game. I'm not saying those suggestions are bad, just that changing this game so drastically in this stage of it's life is bad. It's been over 7 years now, there shouldn't be need for this much change. It turns people off.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-25 20:35   
Some people have school.

Email Sens [R33]
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-03-25 20:36   
I can't wait till we get dictors back. I have my mods sitting in my garage JUST waiting.

Az

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-03-26 20:14   
Quote:

On 2009-03-25 20:35, -Sensitivity- [R33] wrote:
Some people have school.

At this time of day? I play, or try to, at about 9pm EST. That's 6pm on the west coast. That should be prime time.

Does this game have an unusually high amount of Europeans or something? Because during work hours there can be over 20 people playing. After I get home, wind down, shower, eat, have some family time then turn on the computer, it seems most of the players are gone for the day. It's only 10pm now! That makes me think this game has a higher amount of European players than it does American.

Sorry, if that's true then this game is not for me. Nothing against Europeans, it's just against the time difference.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-26 20:27   
Meaning some people need to do that thing... what do they call it? I forget, oh right its Sleep... I'm an insomniac though, I don't count .

Email Sens [R33]
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-27 16:29   
just wanna see the old dictors again..
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Page created in 0.080439 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR