No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Art » » CX201 'Humpback' Dreadnought
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author CX201 'Humpback' Dreadnought
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-24 20:07   
the sake of it

Email Sens [R33]
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-25 03:33   
we have magnetic technolagy already....

railguns use magnets to speed up projectiles to rediculous speeds, and since theres no combustion theres no need for air, thus usefull in the void of space...

hmmm, the ICC were onta something!!!

Email Meko
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-25 07:13   
Quote:

On 2009-02-24 17:32, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-24 17:22, Delando wrote:
Looks nice. Wont mind seeing it in action.

btw why arent there any pirate dreads? tael?

Wouldn't be entirely realistic, I recall the reason being. Pirates don't have the resources to produce such massive warships.

but stations are cheaper to make?

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-25 08:16   
The problem, as I see it, is that the Pirates don't have the sophistication or resources to mass produce large ships; they're a lawless, scattered, and reasonably disorganized band of rebels who, while possibly able to capture such a ship, would not be able to reproduce it - which is why they generally have small ships (though they now have a station, which I added... contradicting myself entirely. Oops).

This would be potentially cool to see once in the MV, but it'd be hard to justify seeing it more than once, unless it manages to escape every time its fielded or the Pirates have discovered a weakness to Carriers that the other factions can't seem to exploit. And honestly, it seems difficult to justify the time spent to add it to the game to have it show up once.

Thus, while I like it in concept but have trouble justifying it for the above reasons, I'd suggest the following:

The model is already basically broken up into three sections. I don't know how it would actually look, but maybe split it into three ships - the pirates are able to produce sections of the ship, but don't have facilities large enough for the entire thing. Thus, you have each chunk of your model as a distinct ship, with some random ship bits bolted on underneath the UGTO curvature to keep it together, make it look ramshackle, and give it that Piratey feel.

The problem, of course, is that such ships might look downright stupid.

Addendum: Tael and Draf are the ones to pay attention to on this, as they are the only two of the current devs to have modeling experience and oversight. I'm just musing about how to fit this ship into the game from a lore or "believability" perspective, which you can easily disregard if you so choose. That is, don't take this as an official viewpoint, but just one man's rambling.
[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2009-02-25 17:45 ]

Email Shigernafy
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-02-25 10:50   
This model is looking good so far.

The back story doesn't really fit, but it does help to have an idea in mind when designing a ship.

A few criticisms:

The model is slightly over the desired poly count and stands at 3150 facings, whereas we would like to keep dreadnought models to below 3000. This can be remedied to a degree as there are a few area's which can be optimized.

As an example: In the central section at the bottom, you have five square panels which are raised from the surface. The actual raised panels are fine, but joined to them you have the backing panels, four for each raised section. It looks good in terms of model quality, but it does not help when trying to optimize the number of facings. What you could do is delete the border sections, and just create a single square facing behind each panel. You could further optimize this by taking the entire section behind all of the panels, and create a single facing there. Instead of twenty facings you would have just one.
Do this for each side, and you have a saving of 38 facings. From a quick look at the model, you could probably cull 200-300 facings in this way without impacting the look and detail level. You should be able to get under the 3000 mark, in which case you will have a few extra triangles and polygons to use for adding more detail.

I could do it for you, but I think it is better for you to look and learn for yourself.

Overall I am quite impressed.

Keep up the good work.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2009-02-25 10:53 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-02-25 20:24   
Thank you for the replies/comments everyone~

Quote:

On 2009-02-25 08:16, Shigernafy wrote:

Thus, while I like it in concept but have trouble justifying it for the above reasons, I'd suggest the following:

The model is already basically broken up into three sections. I don't know how it would actually look, but maybe split it into three ships - the pirates are able to produce sections of the ship, but don't have facilities large enough for the entire thing. Thus, you have each chunk of your model as a distinct ship, with some random ship bits bolted on underneath the UGTO curvature to keep it together, make it look ramshackle, and give it that Piratey feel.

I feel there is also another option:
http://www.darkspace.net/php/thumbnail.php?image=shots/050531/00000008.jpg&width=1280&height=800&extra=

Instead of the hull sections being split up into different ships, we could replace each section with different 'modules,' and a common 'head.' I agree that the ship split into 3 smaller ships would look pretty stupid.. I havn't actually seen that pirate ship in game though, so I don't know how it would work out. Would it be the same ship that randomely spawns with different models, or different ships with their own model? Idk..

Quote:

On 2009-02-25 10:50, Drafell wrote:

The model is slightly over the desired poly count and stands at 3150 facings, whereas we would like to keep dreadnought models to below 3000. This can be remedied to a degree as there are a few area's which can be optimized.

Thanks for the tip and compliment, I used to think I needed to have the model be one continuous mesh (I was planning to connect all of the sections eventually,) but not following that would make reducing the poly count much easier. I was able to cut down to ~3000 removing unnoticeable/pointless spires and modeled antennaes, and I'm down to 2745 cutting out the 'backing panels' and other things that are all over the model, and there's plenty still to be reduced.

I'd really love if I ever saw this in-game.. ;_;

Email Light-of-Aurora
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017176 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR