No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +16.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Turning Problem
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Turning Problem
Firestorm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-13 18:47   
I've always been a long distance fighter with plenty of dodging and shooting (I play ICC) but since I have come back, I've had a problem with quick turns. Every time I go to change directions, my ship freezes up and likes to go straight and I have to tap the arrow key several times to get my ship to respond. Is this happening to anyone else or could it be something like lag and the fact the I am using a wireless keyboard online?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-13 19:02   
use 'a' and 'd' to use your rudder. arrow keyes are only in effect when pressed down

Email Sens [R33]
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-03-13 19:13   
nah never had this problem..migth be ure keyboard...

Freespacer
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-03-14 07:01   
i never had that - maybe its really your keyboard?

Email Freespacer
mannythepogs
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-03-14 07:30   
I dont know if this is related to this post... but i sometimes i have problem in turning... i have to retap the arrow keys to turn... pressing them once sometimes (rarely) failed.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-03-14 07:36   
I also use a wireless keyboard. a few days ago, two days in a row, I periodically had an issue with my keyboard responding. I don't think its the keyboard. It is more likely just lag. I logged out the second time for 2 mins, and haven't had it again. I chalked it up to desynk. Nothing really all that rare in DS really.
Also, even tho my keyboard was unresponsive, my mouse, also wireless, worked fine, so i was able to steer clear and relog. Not sure if that helps you or not. GL.

Az

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-03-14 10:47   
Sounds like a deffinate issue with your wireless receiver. Cheap ones have noticable latency when pressing keys when certain programs use 100% CPU (games for instance).

Try lowering the max FPS to something like 60 or 30 in the options to lower your CPU usage, and see if it is the cause. If this solves it, then it's an issue with your receiver and the USB polling interval of your machine.

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-03-14 12:01   
I notice the problem with two keyboards i had in the past, a HP standard USB keyboard and recently my Logitech G15. If you use the cursor keys and press down on left or right and then press the opposite key you will get a cancellation on your movement. This is nothing to do with wireless receivers or budget keyboards this is a common problem and i have had it in Darkspace for years, and this is why im so prone to use my A and D keys to turn as it less predictive to happen.
This is actually fault from two areas, both the game and the hardware, Razer who make computer hardware like mouse/keyboards/headphones have brought out a keyboard that does not lock up on multiple presses.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-03-14 12:14   
If u have Q type keyboard with 101+ keys , they wont support 2 pressed button at same time.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-03-14 14:49   
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 12:14, Pakhos wrote:
If u have Q type keyboard with 101+ keys , they wont support 2 pressed button at same time.

One reason why i still tend to use Wired PS/2 keyboards is because of the max three button support (ok, excluding some buttons). I tried USB but it all depends on the vendor and sometimes even on the other connected USB devices, but i have found on average USB supports 2 button presses at once.. (i have found one german brand that supported 7, to bad the only supply ergonomic's)

I have had numerous problems with wireless keyboards in the past and not just with games. So for almost all computers i have wired, exept my media station in the living room.

But to assist the topic.. Basic controles overview.

Q speed up
S speed down
Speed up
Speed down

A Left rudder (Will keep turning, check direction bar to see degree turn/s)
S Center rudder (Stops turning)
D Right rudder (Will keep turning, check direction bar to see degree turn/s)
Turn left (Turns untill key is released)
Turn right (Turns untill key is released)

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-03-14 16:33   
Logitech G15 supports about 6 being depressed at once.

Quote:
If you use the cursor keys and press down on left or right and then press the opposite key you will get a cancellation on your movement.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand this... Ocourse it will cancel the movement if you press the opposite direction... This happens on every keyboard, it's by design. Logic dictates that if you're going right, and you press left, you either want to cancel turning right, or you want to turn left.

QWASD keys and the arrow keys are setup for different styles of play.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash *Jack* on 2009-03-14 16:36 ]

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-15 00:28   
I frequantly have this problem all the time. I always chalked this problem up to me pressing too many buttons at once (when in heavy combat), or sometimes just my keyboard hick-up-ing. Even though it's a minor inconveniance, it sure keeps me on my toes some days!

H&S

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-03-15 16:44   
If you're switching from turning one way to turning the other very quickly, I have found that if you start pressing the opposite direction key whilst the green turning arc is still visible, you will get a noticable/permanent delay before it turns in the opposite direction. Presumably there's some issue that occurs when you press opposite direction keys at the same time or in very close proximity.

The solution a client can make to this is to practice their hand-eye coordination and make smooth transitions when changing turning directions, rather than hammering away too quickly at the keys.

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-15 20:47   
Quote:

On 2009-03-15 16:44, Gejaheline wrote:
If you're switching from turning one way to turning the other very quickly, I have found that if you start pressing the opposite direction key whilst the green turning arc is still visible, you will get a noticable/permanent delay before it turns in the opposite direction. Presumably there's some issue that occurs when you press opposite direction keys at the same time or in very close proximity.

The solution a client can make to this is to practice their hand-eye coordination and make smooth transitions when changing turning directions, rather than hammering away too quickly at the keys.

Thats only when you use the a,s,w,d keys. If you use the arrow keys, it just goes, like a regular ship...

Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:33   
Be nice if I could remap arrow key function to the wasd location.

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.036403 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR