- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New Player looking for some tips/ insight
 Author New Player looking for some tips/ insight
Vectren
Cadet

Posted: 2009-04-02 11:12   
Howdy all, I just got myself a demo account and i'm looking forward to playing DS, but I have a few questions.

What factions should I go with? I dont mind being the underdog or whatever the case maybe.

What are the peek play times? I'm EST and play at night into the ealry mornings.

And are there any groups ( clans,guilds ect) that take on new players?

Abit about myself, I'm 29, an MMO Vet, played EVE for many years, looking for something different to get into. I dont mind getting my butt kicked cuase thats the best way to learn imo.

Thank for your time.

Vectren
[ This Message was edited by: Vectren on 2009-04-02 11:15 ]

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-04-02 11:31   
Quote:

On 2009-04-02 11:12, Vectren wrote:
Howdy all, I just got myself a demo account and i'm looking forward to playing DS, but I have a few questions.

What factions should I go with? I dont mind being the underdog or whatever the case maybe.

What are the peek play times? I'm EST and play at night into the ealry mornings.

And are there any groups ( clans,guilds ect) that take on new players?

Abit about myself, I'm 29, an MMO Vet, played EVE for many years, looking for something different to get into. I dont mind getting my butt kicked cuase thats the best way to learn imo.

Thank for your time.

Vectren
[ This Message was edited by: Vectren on 2009-04-02 11:15 ]

I would like to suggest you to play all 3 factions for a week and if you want to start playing already , start with UGTO , then switch to Icc and last kluth. Ugto and Icc play very similar.Only Icc has shields and you will learn to use them depending on situations you find yourself. Last faction you will play must be kluth due their technic and different ability.

There are clans and most the them has their rules /requirements to join. You will see alot of tags ingame and you can ask if you can join them.

Peek play times? I believe it is between 1 pm -7 pm EST time .Anyway u can see at server tab the population of the servers. Also very early of mornings there are some european players too.

Welcome to DS..

Peace

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-02 14:42   
Pak is generally right about the peak times; few things you might have already found out:

Factions-
UGTO-Tanks/Close- combat straightforward tactics- jump in, and fire away; energy conservation isn't a major issue but still needed, requires a bit more fancy flying to stay in the battle field longer as armor doesn't repair that fast.
ICC-Defensive faction/longrange- ICC are a bit different in that their weapons have no damage fall off over distance(except for lasers) and can rotate their shields. That being said, the excel at 1v1 combat and can function firly well in large fleets.
K'luth- Ninjas... Literally- If you play K'luth, you generally want to have a pretty good handle on maneuvering first. K'luth tactics are heavily based on attacking with as much force as fast as possible and retreating into the shadows before being focused on. Generally you want to stay within 50gu of max weapons range for beam ships and 900~gu for cannon ships.

You may find the rank curve a bit annoying as the jump from 2nd rear to 1st and the vice admiral has always been "long," Generally you want to start out supplying and building as they provide the fastest prestige gain for a newbie, but AI farming works too.

Email Sens [R33]
unimatrixzero
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-04-02 19:54   
Its easy to be Kluth (cloak) and also Ugto because of their strong Armor. If you really want to have a challange you will feel right at home with ICC.
The problem is that there are too few ICC.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-02 20:26   
I would also advise faction serfing to start. You will be best at what you are natural at.

If you like to jump in and pound on things, then you would like the UGTO. They have better armor, really they have the best ship in each hull class, and they have decent energy. They are hard to take down if they are flown by a good pilot.

If you like to play more of a defensive game, using planets and missles and fighters, then ICC is just what you are looking for. You have shields, system damaging weapons, and different types of shields. You can channel shield energy to the side/s being attacked from the areas that arent, which helps your shields to go a long way. Their armor is a little weaker to make up for the shields, but, again, in the hands of a good pilot, any ICC ship can stand in with a UGTO ship of equal class.

Then there is the K'luth. Yeah, they have the cloak. Trust me, it ain't ALL it's cracked up to be. However, if you like ambush, hit and run, guerrilla style tactics, you can't beat K'luth. They have Auto Hull Repair on each ship which helps heal your ship slowly over time, so you can cloak up and heal slowly. It's real effectiveness is when you get system damages, as it will get systems back online faily quickly. They have Saran Wrap™ for armor, they have a drugstore brand battery for energy, while everyone else is useing Energizers™, and they don't have options for armor like the other factions. But when they uncloak and rip into a ship, it can peel armor off pretty fast. Reason everyone says try K'luth last is because they require the most skill in energy management, ship damage knowledge (as in, when you should hit the e-jump and get the hell outa Dodge), and because the learning curve is very sharp. You die fast in a K'luth ship if you don't know what you are doing.

The other thing I would suggest is this; once you decide what you like, stay that faction. Get with a fleet, as they can help you learn and grind out enhancements and prestige. The longer you are with a faction, the more skilled you will get, the more influence you will have.

Hope this helps. Welcome aboard.

Oh. One last thing. Watch out for the Gaifens, the energy thingies, and the wolves.

Azreal

[ This Message was edited by: Azreal on 2009-04-02 20:28 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-04-03 11:57   
ICC has been my favorite faction since back when they were overpowered, not because of the power, but because of the shields and defensive abilities. Being able to defend an attack to give me time to think, re-act and strike back.

UGTO was my first faction, the UGTO have tough armor, another advantage is reloads repair armor faster and are cumulative to how many reloads you have, and being as UGTO have a high player base, this can be a good thing for you. The high player base needs no mention, any team with a higher player base makes things easier since the game has been based on teamwork. UGTO are also based on offense, they have powerful weapons when compared to ICC.

K'Luth are all around the funnest IMHO, they are oriented on assault combat, close range, very high firepower, little defensive capabilities. Weak armor but makes up for it with a cloaking device and auto hull repair that actively repairs hull and armor when damage to the hull is taken. K'Luth are very fun, and can be the most challenging, K'Luth do have a high player base, somewhat higher than UGTO at times, making them have the advantage.....

The real advantages come with numbers. Want my suggestion? Join ICC. We need the players, ICC are a very good learning faction as long as you have a few teammates to count on, you can ask me a question anytime you are in chat with me or here in the forums....

-JBud

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal JBud *ADM* on 2009-04-03 11:59 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Page created in 0.012918 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR