No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Design Proposal - Enhancement Changes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Design Proposal - Enhancement Changes
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-06-20 06:52   
Current Enhancements leave a lot to be desired in terms of effect and usefulness. A large number of them will have no actual effect in game, due to a few issues that were unforeseen during Development. Those Enhancements that are in the game now need to be reviewed in order to restore the necessary and important balance in the Player vs Player (PvP) aspect of DarkSpace, and above all, to make them all useful.

I have a personal enmity towards useless objects in games. Those items that you may get to start with as freebies, but serve no point beyond your initial progress. This is extremely important in PvP oriented play, where the focus is supposed to be more on player skill, as opposed to item viability.

This is something that also applies to loot drops as well as you usually end up carrying around bags full of essentially useless items until you can sell them to another player, or to a merchant. People want to get back to the fun, IE. killing things, preferably other players, not traipsing back and forth doing rather mundane tasks.

I have always been in favor of the idea that everyone should be able to use everything, if even somewhat ineptly, and gain a useful benefit from it.

How does this apply to DarkSpace and Enhancements?

DarkSpace has several 'tiers' of enhancements. These are:

Tier 1 - Restricted Enhancements - Very Common
Tier 2 - Limited Enhancements - Common
Tier 3 - Standard Enhancements - Uncommon
Tier 4 - Improved Enhancements (go figure?) - Rare
Tier 5 - Enhanced Enhancements - Very Rare
Tier 6 - Advanced Enhancements - Ultra Rare
Tier 7 - Juryrigged Enhancements - Uncommon to Very Rare
Tier 8 - Prototype Enhancements - You have as much chance of getting one of these as being able to successfully mine Soldanium from a star. Give it a try, I dare you.

We understand that players want to improve and customize their ships to suit their own particular style, and this is what we want to encourage and facilitate. However, we do not want to give people who pay an unfair advantage over other community members due to this.

All Enhancements would have a basic 'free' improvement modifier. For Minor Enhancements, this would be the only value. You would get a small boost, but nothing else. No negatives, no penalties.
If we say that the default value is a 1% bonus, then this means a ship can have a maximum possible 8% 'free' boost to any stat. This could be 8% faster weapons recharge, 8% more damage, 8% more armor or 8% more ammunition, entirely depending on the devices in question.

This does not sound like a lot, but it can make a significant difference in actual combat, and combined with the next part, you will soon see how the numbers can add up.

Any additional bonus to stats would need to come with a draw back to to help balance it. Instead of being better than the lower tier Enhancements, Tier 2 Enhancements and above would allow more extreme customization of play style, but at a cost that is relevant to the additional bonus.

Minor Enhancements would therefor remain unchanged, and at least retain a certain level of demand.

Limited Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +2%, and reduce another by at least -1%.

Standard Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +3%, and reduce another by at least -2%.

Improved Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +4%, and reduce another by at least -3%.

Enhanced Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +5%, and reduce another by at least -4%.

Advanced Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum of +6%, and reduce another by at least -5%.

Superior Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum of +7%, and reduce another by at least -6%.

Juryrigged Enhancements would boost a combination of stats, with relevant negatives.

Prototype Enhancements would potentially boost multiple stats by a significant amount, have relevant negatives and be limited to one per ship.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2010-03-18 18:52 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
Don Nukey of ICC *CO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-06-20 07:01   
i have to say i like that idea
especially the ammo packs that will be good for the icc

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-20 09:59   
I disagree a bit with the penalties for each bonus, but thats fairly minor. The proposed system is great, although I would prefer a 4% free bonus instead. That being said, you can limit the amount of decimals in a float, thus reducing the processing power used.

Email Sens [R33]
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-06-20 10:00   
Quote:

That being said, you can limit the amount of decimals in a float, thus reducing the processing power used.

Very true, but still no where near as fast as using Integers.

Satenki
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-25 14:46   
How about we use a logarithmic-like scale applied to each different stat after the bonuses get all added up?

With this, we can allow for individual or minor bonuses to be large enough to be meaningful, and still have an elegant solution that automatically takes care of excessive stacking issues in one stat.

I think one big challenge to this might be having good user interface feedback on how having 5% + 5% = 9% for example.
[ This Message was edited by: Satenki on 2009-06-25 14:49 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-25 15:45   
this proposed system seems sound, but is also incredibly complex, both to balance and for players to get the clue about.

sorry, i have no better suggestion at this point. never liked the idea of drops much anyway...

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-06-25 18:30   
The idea is to provide a lot of depth in allowing players to tweak their ships, but within a system which essentially regulates itself. Once the design rules are set, then expanding and adding to the system becomes a whole lot easier.

What Enhancements currently lack is a solid set of design rules that govern them and provides the necessary balance for the game.

Goto the website of Drafell
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-06-26 09:01   
Quote:

On 2009-06-25 15:45, sono wrote:
this proposed system seems sound, but is also incredibly complex, both to balance and for players to get the clue about.

sorry, i have no better suggestion at this point. never liked the idea of drops much anyway...

I liked old moding better, when we could just use a starport. It was a little unbalanced, but i like that style of moding. If you could atleast try puting the figures for enhancments into the starport, atleast just in beta to see if any like that.

It just seems to me that when enhancments were added it took away some of the realistic properties of the game, and made it more arcaic, and i dont like it too much.

[ This Message was edited by: -Shadowalker- on 2009-06-26 09:02 ]

Email -Shadowalker-™
spatula
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-26 11:25   
It seems like the overall damage increase would be too extreme, take the kluth for example, DPS is meaningless when you have multiple dreads ambushing at point blank, all you want is maximum damage in the least amount of shots (i.e. 1), being able to do even just 40% extra damage would be incredibly powerful, especially for high damage weapons. I think the "free" cap should be lowered to around 20%, otherwise enhancements will be mandatory random drops that not having would leave you at a very distinct disadvantage. I think that enhancements should add some flavor to combat but shouldn't be the focus of it.

Also, an easier way to swap enhancements would be nice, the current system is a little cumbersome, I think a vertical list something like:

[icon] name - what it does

that way you can easily browse your enhancements without having to mouse over each one, the icon could be used in the same way as now for removal, maybe mousing over would also add a tooltip with some ds fiction about how it "enhances" your ship.

i..e. the cooler redirects energy from your weapons, reducing damage, to resevoirs of liquid [random element/compound with low melting point] to cool your weapon systems, decreasing recharge time.

Email spatula
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-03-18 16:48   
Updating the proposal...

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-18 17:26   
Quote:

On 2009-06-26 09:01, -Shadowalker- wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-06-25 15:45, sono wrote:

I liked old moding better, when we could just use a starport. It was a little unbalanced, but i like that style of moding. If you could atleast try puting the figures for enhancments into the starport, atleast just in beta to see if any like that.

It just seems to me that when enhancments were added it took away some of the realistic properties of the game, and made it more arcaic, and i dont like it too much.

[ This Message was edited by: -Shadowalker- on 2009-06-26 09:02 ]

I totally agree.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-18 17:42   
Well it all sounds like an good idea, but i see some drawbacks.

Well im a luth player so i have to think how it is to be them. We are a hit and run faction, we shot some volleys and then cloak. recloak and repeat.
When we then have a long recharge rate of a weapon this will create an problem for us. We dont have the armor that is needed to wait for that recharge, and even if we did alot more damage to one arc, the other ship most likley turned their other arc towards us when we are ready to shot again.

Secund problem that i can see for all faction, is that we now need to sit and wait for stuff to happen. Id rather have quik battles that has the intensity and the fast action. Atm we dont. We got all the big ships moving around and they are slow and at times boring. This is ofc for the more damage we do enhancement.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-18 18:02   
The old modding system will not be coming back. Please keep your posts on the topic at hand (the enhancement proposal). Give your views, and any suggestions about this proposal, and topic only.

Just a little reminder.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-03-18 18:02 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-18 18:30   
Quote:

On 2009-06-20 06:52, Drafell wrote:

Minor Enhancements would therefor remain unchanged, and at least retain a certain level of demand.

Limited Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +2%, and reduce another by at least -1%.

Standard Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +3%, and reduce another by at least -2%.

Enhanced Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +4%, and reduce another by at least -3%.

Advanced Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum +5%, and reduce another by at least -4%.

Prototype Enhancements would boost a stat by a minimum of +6%, and reduce another by at least 5%.

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2010-03-18 18:11 ]

i think the penalty *sounds* a little bit too much

i'd prefer something like
t1 1% / 0%
t2 2% / 1%
t3 3% / 2%
t4 4% / 2%
t5 5% / 3%
t6 6% / 3%

penalty = boost / 2 rounded to the next integer

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-18 18:35   
That doesnt look like enhancement to me. It falls under another term : Migration.

Enhancements, from what that says, will simply take a set of integers from one area and then apply those exact same integers in another. So nothing is being gained or enhanced whatsoever.

They should therefore be called "Migration Module" or something similar to reflect what they REALLY DO.

The way that is laid out, you end up asking a series of different questions. Its no longer "Do I want more firepower or more disttance?" or something similar.

Instead it will be "Hmmm. Do I really want to trade firepower for energy?".

I guess in some way its an alternative to both the enhancements we have now and the modding they were supposed to replace. I dont see it as any type of an improvement though, and really in no way gives us back what we lost with modding (In terms of versatility).

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023002 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR