Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Re: New Interdictor Effect
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Re: New Interdictor Effect
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-03 00:20   
To be honest, I hate the new effects. They kind of give away the element of surprise for a fleet having a dictor. So no one would really jump in to fight.

Take them out.

Email Supertrooper
Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-03 00:35   
Curious, though I am sure someone spent a lot of time working on the dictor rings with all the special effects and what not....

why not just have a transparent soft-edged bubble that that would tint your screen if you pass through the dictor (very slightly, but enough to notice).

A Friendly dictor field would be tinted light sky-ish blue, while an enemy would be red.

I think that would be better than geometric reshaping of a disc which ends up all pixellated on a monitor. I think Darkspace should avoid using anything that is too pixellated anymore, especially if it wishes to get a bigger following of players.
[ This Message was edited by: VoidGeek on 2009-07-03 00:37 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-03 01:05   
Yeah, I'm thinking a spherical field is the way to go, especially since now that they're back down to one disc that is fixed, planetary dictors are tilted at a wild angle--based on where the dictor base is on the surface.

Email Jim Starluck
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-03 03:42   
At the time of this posting, I had played only two times, both in the scenario server, and both getting the "bug" of have at least three discs per dictor.

I tried today to go into the MV and document this to show how nasty it was, and there was one disc per dictor. It looked a whole lot better, and gave some pretty sweet scale to the MB; namely, that things are bigger than your tiny ship. Now Im torn, and I only want a new computer.

I havent fought in the "one ring effect" yet, and have yet to drive through it, but if it doesnt lag me completely out, it isnt horrible. I supose.

Love a ring idea, but big red rotating disc (one only) aint bad.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-03 11:47   
Its not that its bad or not,.. its 2009, not 2003.. Having giant pixellated discs are rather unappealing to someone who tries DS for the first time. Dont even get me started on the eye-burning Nebulas. I am sure thats what every player wants when trying to cap a planet. -_-.

what if a player doesn't wish to see a giant disc slowly rotating and causing nausea and motion sickness?

The rings are disorienting (especially with a moving dictor) and I have felt a lil weird, especially in a cluster of planets with them. I cant tell when or not I am near a dictor field or not because its tilted and shifted where its been built. While in battle, I dont feel like selecting a planet to see how far away I am...
[ This Message was edited by: VoidGeek on 2009-07-03 12:03 ]

spatula
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:13   
Quote:

On 2009-07-03 11:47, VoidGeek wrote:
I cant tell when or not I am near a dictor field or not because its tilted and shifted where its been built. While in battle, I dont feel like selecting a planet to see how far away I am...

yeah its hard to gauge if your in the field or not in the game because of the lack of true depth combined with a very dark background. As for checking if your in a dictor field (assuming JD is charged) just press shift. If it lights up then its good to go.

Email spatula
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.011007 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR