No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Prospective New Player Looking for Mentor
 Author Prospective New Player Looking for Mentor
Draknar
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-31 11:29   
Greetings!

So I created an account with DarkSpace over 5 years ago, and I've been tempted to come back and play every now and then.

The issue I am running into is that when I used to play it was difficult for me to really learn the game. Because of the loss of prestige from mistakes I never played Darkspace to its fullest, and now with so few people I am wondering if it is even worth paying to play again.

So I thought maybe I would put up this post and try to find a mentor, or guru or just a typical player willing to show a newb the ropes and answer some basic (and advanced) questions. I've read through the manual, and many of the posts (some great guides on these forums), but when I go to the Beginner Area server I haven't seen anyone else there to talk to and see how the game is played.

Here are a couple of newb questions I have to show what type of things I'm curious about:

1) How difficult is it to always maintain positive prestige...especially for a new player? I'm sure I won't be doing much damage in a newbie ship, and I can see myself getting insta-gibbed and lose resources by veteran players before I can high-tail it out of there.

2) What server do most people play on? I see anywhere from 10 to 30 people in the chat room (all of them playing usually), but I don't see anyone in the Beginner Area when I log in, and the other servers all show "low" population.

3) What do the in-game populations look like? Fairly empty? Does that impact the game at all? I've played planetside for years, even in it's slow periods, and even though the player-base might be small since the action is focused you can still have lots of action and fun. So even if there aren't many players, is there still plenty of action to be had or is there a lot of standing around waiting?

4) Is there any way to get another trial for my account? It was made in January of 2004, and I'd like to use a free trial but I don't want to lose all that I've accomplished with this character.

Thanks to anyone who can help answer these questions, and if there is a kind soul willing to take me under his wing I'd be much appreciative.

Cheers,

Draknar

Code Red
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2009-07-31 12:26   
Hiya , let me answer a couple of those questions , i cant answer number 4 but i am sure somewill will for you , I am a regular player so can honestly advise you as i see it....

1) How difficult is it to always maintain positive prestige...especially for a new player? I'm sure I won't be doing much damage in a newbie ship, and I can see myself getting insta-gibbed and lose resources by veteran players before I can high-tail it out of there.

*** there are good ways to earn pres as well as fighting there is good supply/repair pres to be had and build pres from platforms or planet building in scenario server.

2) What server do most people play on? I see anywhere from 10 to 30 people in the chat room (all of them playing usually), but I don't see anyone in the Beginner Area when I log in, and the other servers all show "low" population.

*** most people play on Sag server , but rogans rift and scenario also have players on.

3) What do the in-game populations look like? Fairly empty? Does that impact the game at all? I've played planetside for years, even in it's slow periods, and even though the player-base might be small since the action is focused you can still have lots of action and fun. So even if there aren't many players, is there still plenty of action to be had or is there a lot of standing around waiting?

*** at times it can be quiet but things can be done eg platform building , repping ai built planets , supping dmaged ships , however there are good numbers on at some times during most days and combat / bombing can always be had.

Hope that helps a bit.

Code Red, For winning in the 1RA Fleet Wars event, here's your coupon for a week.

thirteen
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-31 12:49   
Hey Draknar.

I'll give you the best bit of advice I didn't get when I played the game last time (many moons ago..).

Join a clan.

I don't even necessarily mean ZION (the clan I am with) but I'm sure you'd be welcome

The pros:

-Vets and new players alike.
-Usually someone from your clan on DS (definitely the case with ZION).
-Camaraderie a.k.a that warm fuzzy feeling generated by teaming up with other clan members and accomplishing something, knowing full well you couldn't have done it on your own.

The cons:

-None that I have discovered so far.

If you see me around say hello.

Have fun

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-31 13:47   
I can mentor you to do battle in the forums and the lobby. Contact me in game.

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-07-31 14:20   
1... be aware of your surroundings at all times ... repair any friendly ships you can with support ship aspecially fellow players... be ready to jump away to avoid being killed in supply "you will be preimary target"
when you can get to the rank of captain and get a destroyer you can help out with combat but supply make the most pres in the begining and is a viable source of positive pres.

2... most players are in the sag sever most of the time
it usuall shows low and wont show medium or higher unless 15 players are on

3... it does impact the game if less of your faction is on the server because you are more likely to be affraid of getting killed.
however now there are ai you can kill if there arent enough nme players however you get more pres for killing nme players.
in game pop is higher on the weekends and since players from all over the world play at different times you just have to log in at scattered hours to see when is right for you.

4... the dev's give out free trials from time to time ...
ive been subbed for 7.5 years and play from time to time more often now than before cause i have more time
this game has always been entertaining to me, for years

if you can afford it i think its worth $10 a month and you get a better price if you pay for more time in advance i think 3, 6, or 12 months

joining a clan is fine but i recomend playing different factions in the begining
that way you can always get in a supply and gain pres no matter where you go
and you learn how to play each faction which will help you when you are in combat to know the enmey facions weakness and strengths as well as your own.

however good luck with your decision

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-31 14:35   
Quote:

On 2009-07-31 13:47, Babyfark McGeezax wrote:

Where is this... "in game" you speak of?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-31 14:53   
Quote:

On 2009-07-31 14:35, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-31 13:47, Babyfark McGeezax wrote:

Where is this... "in game" you speak of?

I believe he speaks of the mythical realm of metaverse.

Email Sens [R33]
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-07-31 17:55   
I hear it is a beautiful place with no AI and tons of players, but alas my friends, all we have is sag. ...

Now, back to lobby camping untill something good happens.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Page created in 0.012476 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR