No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » District 9
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author District 9
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-28 09:25   
Quote:

On 2009-08-27 18:23, Eto Demerzel wrote:
I wanna see this.. Reminds me of all the other movies that are torn between the people that love all-action movies and movies that make you think.. Most people don't have the same taste in movies as I do, because I prefer a story that makes me think to a bunch of PEW PEW PEW and nothing else(See Michael Bay movies for pewpewpew)

Don't get me wrong. I MUCH prefer thinking movies, and I am not a big fan of pointless action action action movies. This is why I have not cared to see movies like Stealth or GI Joe. However, if District 9 is a thinking movie, then I missed it, because I saw nothing original or philosophical. The aliens want to leave. The aliens spend the movie trying to leave. The humans are mean to them. When I think philosophical movies, i think like that scene about 80% of the way through I, Robot when they consider the robots in the boxes gathering together for company, or the movie AI. Those were good philosophical movies. District 9 was NOT. If you saw the philosophical angle of D9, please fill me in.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-08-28 12:45   
I watched D9 this morning, and I have to say that I was... numbed to begin with. However, I now want to see it again after talking to a colleague at work about it.

The subject matter can be considered to be quite controversial, given the location and the plot line. It's not necessarily something that will hit you immediately.

This film will definitely split the audience. Most people will either like it or loathe it, as demonstrated by the responses here.

Goto the website of Drafell
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-08-28 23:59   
SpOiLeR AlErT!!!!!!!!!

yes the aliens want to leave, and the humans are mean, but the twist is that one of the humans turns into a alien. THat has to add something to it???

Email -Shadowalker-™
Eto Demerzel
Cadet

Posted: 2009-08-29 07:27   
This movie was better than I expected. If you don't see anything deeper to the movie, you probably never will because you won't want to look. But for us that do, its a movie worth buying. I would say this if I didnt see something, because I hate random action movies.. Also anything done with the help of michael bay is on my never-watch list(transformers had potential.. he turned it into armageddon )

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2009-08-30 17:57   
WAH! I so wanted to see it...but the theatre nearby wasnt showing it...which sux! The trailers looked great and the fact its a PJ film means its very unlikely to cause any disappointment. Nearest other theatre is 90 miles away and I dont make THAT trip unless I have other things to go to that place...then watch stuff while I'm there.

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-08-30 18:08   
I am deeply dissapointed, although I loved the premise and scenery, which seemed to offer something awesome, it seemed a little cartoony, and above all that awful little daddy son scene at the end.

I say another meh film.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Eto Demerzel
Cadet

Posted: 2009-08-31 00:29   
Quote:

On 2009-08-30 18:08, Komrad Little Pet Slinki, The Inane wrote:
I am deeply dissapointed, although I loved the premise and scenery, which seemed to offer something awesome, it seemed a little cartoony, and above all that awful little daddy son scene at the end.

I say another meh film.

Heaven forbid it be anything but PEW PEW PEW Michael Bay-ish

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2009-08-31 10:32   
I dont think it was cartoony at all! In fact, I thought the character models, textures, and animations were amazingly well done.

District 9 had a pretty deep philosophical element to it Kanman, I was actually thinking about what direction Peter Jackson would take on it. I think if you want to try and understand the movie better, go see it again with some friends. I've seen it three times now

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-08-31 13:53   
To be honest, while I really liked the movie, it did leave me feeling a little unsatisfied. I know all about the social commentary it's making, but the problem is that they don't go anywhere with that bit. We make a decent metaphor for refugee living conditions in South Africa, and then... action. The action was visually nice, mind you, and the characters actually very well developed, but I wish they had gone on to a more meaningful conclusion.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2009-08-31 14:01 ]

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2009-08-31 15:08   
Thats part of the beauty of it though, its screaming "SEQUEL!!!!!" in giant bold type, and the plot itself would depend upon a sequel. Sides, its Peter Jackson

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-08-31 17:59   
Quote:

On 2009-08-31 15:08, Veronw wrote:
Thats part of the beauty of it though, its screaming "SEQUEL!!!!!" in giant bold type, and the plot itself would depend upon a sequel. Sides, its Peter Jackson

Its Neil Blomkamp. It's his story, after all.

I also don't see what there probably going to be a sequel has to do with Peter Jackson.
[ This Message was edited by: Tbone on 2009-08-31 18:00 ]

Email Tbone
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.016646 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR