Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » District 9
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author District 9
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-08-23 21:42   
words cant describe it 5/5

Email -Shadowalker-™
Latrodectus
Captain

Posted: 2009-08-23 22:30   

Im going to see it this weekend, is it really worth the money and time?

-Manekel

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-08-24 09:01   
it seems that nit-pickers hate it for a couple inexplicable things, or if you dont like social issues. otherwise its awesome

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-08-24 16:14   
best... fliping... movie... ever... ... ...!

Email -Shadowalker-™
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-08-24 18:35   
Quote:

On 2009-08-23 22:30, Manekel wrote:

Im going to see it this weekend, is it really worth the money and time?

-Manekel

Go see it and find out

-Manekel

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-08-25 03:30   
I actually liked it, the mix of documentary and live action emersion was balanced just right. Thought it was a dry but good movie. Some parts of it drag on but even those parts really help flesh out the rest of the action and mood in the movie.

Email Tael
TheHunter
Marshal

Posted: 2009-08-26 06:33   
downloaded its ok nothing special

Goto the website of TheHunter
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-26 19:46   
This move was NOT very good. It might have been better had they held the camera more steady. I am not against the 'shaky camera' approach, as I really liked it in Battlestar, but this shook TOO much. You couldnt get a good look at anything half the time from all the shaking. The story was rather lax and nothing groundbreaking. The movie was a complete 1 out of 10 until over half way through the movie when the character goes to the gang for the alien guns. Then it got somewhat better.

There was even a part of the movie I found stupid, but thought of a good joke at the same time. It is about 80% of the way through the movie when the guy tries to fly the alien transport before getting shot down. I knew that he had NO IDEA how to fly that thing. So, right as he slid into the chair, I thought this in my head: "I have never been trained to fly this thing, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I was rather proud of my joke.

Overall movie score from me: 5/10. Barely worth sitting all the way through, and trust me, those I was with and I had a whisper conversation debating whether or not to just bail (and we have NEVER left a movie before).

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-27 01:30   
Quote:

On 2009-08-26 19:46, Kanman wrote:
This move was NOT very good. It might have been better had they held the camera more steady. I am not against the 'shaky camera' approach, as I really liked it in Battlestar, but this shook TOO much. You couldnt get a good look at anything half the time from all the shaking.

Er, the style of shooting in BSG can't be compared to D9. The bulk of D9 was ment to be shot as a documentary, which means it's going to have an actual camera man running around, not a set way for the camera to move all nice and smooth.
Quote:
The story was rather lax and nothing groundbreaking. The movie was a complete 1 out of 10 until over half way through the movie when the character goes to the gang for the alien guns. Then it got somewhat better.

Eh, I can't blame you if you don't like the story. It's more of a philosophical kind of story, one thats there to make you think, not the usual run of the mill "Cool aliens blown stuff up and jokes!". Which is what everyone seemed to expect.
Quote:

There was even a part of the movie I found stupid, but thought of a good joke at the same time. It is about 80% of the way through the movie when the guy tries to fly the alien transport before getting shot down. I knew that he had NO IDEA how to fly that thing. So, right as he slid into the chair, I thought this in my head: "I have never been trained to fly this thing, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I was rather proud of my joke.

I'd explain this part, but it'd be a spoiler. But he was kind of desperate at that scene, and tried to do what he could. Not a stupid part at all.

Email Supertrooper
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-08-27 01:48   
i agree with Crim... the movie is one that makes you think. it's a movie that actually tells a story of what happened, instead of random explosions and pointless fighting. whoever says the movie sucked, expects pointless fighting and explosions. *points to a few certain individuals who posted here*

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-27 15:24   
Spoiler alert! Do not read my post if you have yet to see the movie and still intend to.

One thing that stood out in my mind as a significant flaw was the fuel the aliens were trying to collect. The movie starts with them finally having JUST enough fuel by getting that last TINY drop. Shortly thereafter, the main character gets sprayed in the face by the fuel (more than a drop for sure), then they still have enough fuel at the end of the movie to go home. Inconsistent.

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-27 15:28   
Quote:

On 2009-08-27 15:24, Kanman wrote:
Spoiler alert! Do not read my post if you have yet to see the movie and still intend to.

One thing that stood out in my mind as a significant flaw was the fuel the aliens were trying to collect. The movie starts with them finally having JUST enough fuel by getting that last TINY drop. Shortly thereafter, the main character gets sprayed in the face by the fuel (more than a drop for sure), then they still have enough fuel at the end of the movie to go home. Inconsistent.

Or they had extra, since they never said that was the exact ammount needed to do all of that. And it's alien, so you never know how much the spray that came out took out of the vial.

Email Supertrooper
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-08-27 16:11   
I wouldn't live like that for additional months or years just to get a little 'extra' fuel. As soon as it is exactly enough, I am out of there.

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-08-27 16:22   
They aren't prawns! They are lobsters, dammit!

Goto the website of Drafell
Eto Demerzel
Cadet

Posted: 2009-08-27 18:23   
I wanna see this.. Reminds me of all the other movies that are torn between the people that love all-action movies and movies that make you think.. Most people don't have the same taste in movies as I do, because I prefer a story that makes me think to a bunch of PEW PEW PEW and nothing else(See Michael Bay movies for pewpewpew)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020043 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR