Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Should Darkspace be free?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Should Darkspace be free?
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:11   
In my humble opinion i think darkspace should be free and should operate out of donations and site ads. I believe that WAY more people would play this if it was free and would make up the minute amount of money that subscriptions make through donations(I dont know the amount you make through subscriptions i am just guessing it is a small amount) and ads.

Darkspace is a gem of a game unique control and combat system but is very unappealing to new players as home pages are very dated and there is next to no one online, yet there is something very intrigueing about it that makes you want to try it.

The truth is this game looks a bit like a really bad version of EVE online but i dont think its anything like it because EVE sucks balls, but looks fantastic and darkspace cant compete with prices because it has no glitz or glamour to it, but has the best core gameplay and (in my opinion) playability.

So in short darkspace should be free for its own benefit and future survival.
(And by future I mean a very short time)

I know darkspace has been suppoesedly dieing for a very long time but everyone notices the huge boom in players when free trials start.

So please reply and stay on topic. As many people as possible should take part in this disscusion and voice there opinion even if they start a new topic for or against this opinion.

Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:17   
Get a job

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:25   
[quote]
On 2009-09-04 11:17, Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda) wrote:
Get a job

Im 16 Even if i had a job i wouldnt waste my money on an online pc game but that said i would waste my time on playing darkspace if it was free.
Either way if i was gonna spend money on an online game id set my sights higher than darkspace just because not many people play darkspace. And please constructive opinions and criticisms than just "Get a job"

Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:33   
Tell your mom to get out there more and work more then. Or, don't play a game our not willing to pay for. Your thread here was totally not needed.

Email Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)   Goto the website of Sanity Assassin (K'Luth propaganda)
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:38   
But do you not see the incredably low amount of people that play this game? After all this was suppose to be an MMO

Grand Admiral
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2009-09-04 12:12   
I do. But are you expecting Faustus to pay for the servers, work and effort that goes into this game himself? This isnt a big company running this game. It's a one man show. How about YOU buy the servers and deal with the issues for all of us? Oh, now your thinking "screw that", exactly, that's why it's 10 bucks a month. Your 16? NO excuse. I was working at 15 under the table. GET A JOB if you want pleasentries like video games and stop being such a spoiled brat.

Cantari Darkwing
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 13:18   
I agree with sanity, in so much as Darkspace shouldn't be free, but I also think that there should be some way for new and unsubbed players to advance.

I am new myself and love the game, but only because the 14 day free trial allowed me to advance a little and experience what it has to offer. If there was no tira I would have got bored and wandered off by now.

Maybe allow un subbed players to reach upto captain level and then not be able to gain any more pres, they would have to sub to get further. Chances are they prolly get a sub would as they would know how good the game is, rather than getting bored flying defence frigs round, being owned by the players that do have subs (and nearly always fly dreads or stations) and leaving after a couple of days.

xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 13:27   
look darkspace is dieing slowly with no new people subscribing(I think). I dont have anything against faustus or any of the developers for that matter. In fact i respect faustus greatly for taking on such an endeavour by himself if that is so the case. But he must also see that darkspace is heading to a dead end. And when i said i wouldnt waste money on an online game I meant that i couldnt AFFORD to spend money on an online game and no i am not spoiled or else i would be a paying subscriber and we wouldnt be having this arguement. As with this post i fight for what i get. I may come across as selfish to paying subscribers who are happy with the current condition of the game but darkspace is going nowhere fast. Either way i want whatevers in the best interest of the game and if anyone has contradictory evidence to this game slowly dieing, i would love to here it. My original post was a last resort plan in esscence.

Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 13:50   
The total costs for power, colocation and the private T1 line for faustus's house require darkspace to come at a cost.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-04 14:26   
You can talk about how DarkSpace must be Pay2Play because of costs and be aggressive to people who think it should be Free2Play, the truth of the matter is that, apparently, few people find DarkSpace worth their money.

That is also to consider.

xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 14:51   
ye darkspace could operate out of donations and ads if it goes free and the hope is alot more people will play.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-04 15:09   
get a job, you really expect somebody to pay your way through life? nothing is free, the servers cost money to run, the game siphons money strait out of Richard's pocket it takes time and development, and if you cant appriciate any of these enough to fork over a mere 10 bucks a month, you don't need to be playing.

PS: before we get any smart people saying "WELL UR NOT SUBBED," I happen to have 1200 bucks in tuition fees and book costs i have to pay to start college in three weeks.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 15:15   
wow i never thought id get such a narrow minded responce from people.
Darkspace is dieing just putting it out there deal with it.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-04 15:18   
Didn't we already have this thread before?

.....and it's still on the latest Topics?

Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-09-04 15:19   
Oh god, why does a topic like this spring up every week? I figure people would learn to look for past topics.

Alright, lets rundown the costs for an independent game, whith no aid from a publisher or actual development team.

You have several things, lumped together due to my lazyness:
Server Maintenence (New parts)
Private T1 Line
Game Resources
Copyright issues

All of that can run rather high to a single person running a game, yeah?
Now, the income of Darkspace as it is basicaly covers that for now, from what I'd guess. Making the game free to play with income based off donations and adds would bring in far less income, because who would actually pay if they didn't have to? And income from adds are soley based off the number of hits each add gets a day, which I haven't met a person yet who enjoys clicking random adds on sites.

Darkspace has to have a subscription if you want it to keep logging in, it's pretty much the only way to have a somewhat secure income to keep it running.

Email Supertrooper
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.035314 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR