No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Orbiting Planets/Crashes/SY
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Orbiting Planets/Crashes/SY
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-19 13:47   
Orbiting planets cause a multitude of problems. From SY spawn crashes to getting run over by planets. This was especially notable today in r33, with Illyria and Eternety.

How about turning off these crazy orbits for a while till we can fix the bug that causes all the de-syncing and silly pres loss due to this bug?

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-09-19 16:29   
Hi welcome to 3 years ago don't build SYs on planets that have moons orbitting close to them.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-19 19:01   
Hi welcome to doesn't read before responding. Illyria has no moon, goof. It's a planetary orbit issue.

Yes. PLEASE TURN THEM OFF till unbugged. Very bad bugs here, and some lag issues as well.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Jaing
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-19 19:59   
I remember getting run over by a speeding planet many times, back when there were just three or four universes - the skill-level verses and the multiverse. I can't remember the planet (I think it was Hades something or other) but I do remember asking it to get slowed down.

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-20 00:00   
Quote:

On 2009-09-19 19:59, Jaing wrote:
I remember getting run over by a speeding planet many times, back when there were just three or four universes - the skill-level verses and the multiverse. I can't remember the planet (I think it was Hades something or other) but I do remember asking it to get slowed down.

Yes, I mean, I understand some inferno planets close to the stars in certain systems, i'm not really complaining about thoose (even tho they are distracting) but I'm talking about planets that travel around 1.0/gu a sec, they seem to be 500 gu away or something like that, you go to orbit them and end up apparently getting run over by it.

Or in the case of Illirya, spawning from the shipyard which spawns you actually inside the planet, or.. in some cases, you crash into it upon spawning, even though you spawn about 400 gu from the planet itself... it makes for a nice fireworks show, but a disasterous loss of pres.

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-20 08:12   
The issue isn't to do with orbiting itself, so disabling it wouldn't solve the problem.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 10:09   
It wouldn't solve the problem, but since orbiting makes it manifest itself.... wouldn't it mask the problem? ie, even if the problem is elsewhere, you see it with planets not really being where your client thinks they are. If planets never moved, they'd always be where they are, so you'd never have to guess.

Or am I missing some key logic?

Email Shigernafy
kyanos
Midshipman

Posted: 2009-09-20 11:42   
whats being used to monitor the positioning of the planets n moons as is? and yea, having them sit still would mean even if the thing is 5 minutes off position-wise, it wont matter, but to test fixes they would need to be moving wouldnt they?

i do some coding and debugging on my own games (not a pro, or anywhere near, but i do do the work ) and... well, i can think of two main sources for the issue perhaps... i dont know what the related code is, so these are complete guesses...

im assuming theres an equation involved in moving the planets and moons, that runs from server side... does it also run from client side? in which case if the equations arent synchronized, then the planetary positions wouldnt be and that would cause this...

the other one is basically if the equation is only run from server side, and the results are transmitted to the host... sounds like the data is being caught in a firewall or some other large delay factor... considering its happening to everyone, the delay would be transmission side, or serverside i mean

anyway, just guesses, and quite likely someone has already looked into em, but never hurts to try and give a helping hand

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2009-09-20 11:45   
Collision is all done client-side... we changed that a while back so players wouldn't be hitting planets they don't see.

I have yet to see my ship hit a planet that wasn't there... so it's kinda hard to find and fix if I can reproduce these problems.

If you guys can find a reproducable location, then please post and I'll jump in-game ot check it out.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2009-09-20 12:12   
Quote:

On 2009-09-19 13:47, Krim {C?} wrote:
Orbiting planets cause a multitude of problems. From SY spawn crashes to getting run over by planets. This was especially notable today in r33, with Illyria and Eternety.

How about turning off these crazy orbits for a while till we can fix the bug that causes all the de-syncing and silly pres loss due to this bug?

So let me ask... can you give me the names of these fast orbiting planets (the ones you got ran over by)...

The designers think it's cool to give a star/planet a really fast orbit because it looks cool in-game.. but they ARE very dangerous and will take a ship out quite easily. I doubt this is a desync problem as you describe it, it sounds more like a bad design problem.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-20 12:39   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 12:12, Faustus wrote:

The designers think it's cool to give a star/planet a really fast orbit because it looks cool in-game.. but they ARE very dangerous and will take a ship out quite easily. I doubt this is a desync problem as you describe it, it sounds more like a bad design problem.

-F

IN the case of such planets that are fast moving, their only victims are the careless. If you orbit with any planet, it matches its orbit speed so you don't slam into it.

Its sort of like saying going afk in the middle of a fleet engagement and dying because of it is a bad design problem - the carelessness of the player is a bug that can never be fixed.

-Ent

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-09-20 17:20   
Well i cant say any names of planets etc faustus, but this happens, ive seen ppl comin out from sy`s and insta crashes, we see all his resources is in the middle of the planet. The other problem is the jumping with white line, then kaboom u go.

Cant provide names, just can state that it happens.

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 18:49   
I have seen this as well.

@ent: This isnt a problem with planets moving and people going afk and dying. Its a problem with a desync where the server thinks the shipyard is in a different spot and you end up spawning into the planet(or next to the planet and due to some bug or desync you explode away from the planet, but directly upon spawning at a planet with a moving orbit)

I dont know what planets these are anymore, but they do exist. Any planet that moves even 1gu/s risks this problem when spawning out of a sy. Sure, temporarily we can no build shipyards on these planets, but it doesnt solve the problem

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-20 18:55   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 12:12, Faustus wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-19 13:47, Krim {C?} wrote:

So let me ask... can you give me the names of these fast orbiting planets (the ones you got ran over by)...

-F

Bad design? as in game design? because it sounds to me like bad engineers... If you know the planets causing the problems (and we do know! Illyria, Eternity, Grace, ect..) then why spawn a ship there?
Whenever I see a SY on any of these, I spawn at a gate, or another planet.

I think these people just need a shot of common sense.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 19:18   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 18:55, JBud wrote:
you know the planets causing the problems (and we do know! Illyria, Eternity, Grace, ect..) then why spawn a ship there?
Whenever I see a SY on any of these, I spawn at a gate, or another planet.

I think these people just need a shot of common sense.

Right, the playerbase should know which planets cause a bug in the code, and make sure they don't cause that bug.

Our bad.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021287 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR