No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Orbiting Planets/Crashes/SY
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Orbiting Planets/Crashes/SY
Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-20 22:40   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 19:18, Robert von Fattie wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 18:55, JBud wrote:
you know the planets causing the problems (and we do know! Illyria, Eternity, Grace, ect..) then why spawn a ship there?
Whenever I see a SY on any of these, I spawn at a gate, or another planet.

I think these people just need a shot of common sense.

Right, the playerbase should know which planets cause a bug in the code, and make sure they don't cause that bug.

Our bad.

Plus not all users know all the planets that cause the bug. so dont say we do know.. maybe you know all of them, but you should be telling F about em rather than avoiding them when not everyone else knows. I lost a ship at grace because I didnt know this was one of those planets. Its not our job to know what planets have this bug.

You dont see any other game saying "oh just dont do that and the bug wont affect you!" do you?
[ This Message was edited by: Julian Delphiki *P2* on 2009-09-20 22:41 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-20 23:15   
It's not a bug though... It is a moving planet. just stay out of it's way. You don't always spawn from a shipyard IN orbit so unless you're sure about the planet just don't spawn at it.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-20 23:23   
Even if you don't spawn in orbit you should still spawn a few hundred gu away from it, you should not just die as soon as you spawn and you should not crash into it just because your client and the server can not agree on where the planet it located.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-09-21 06:39   
Might be a good one to add.
Dev's hope you read this.

When people spawn and ship gets destroyed instrantly (<1sec) don't count as a death.

Or better! check before spawning if ship will be destroyed, and if so don't spawn and give some sort of message telling em to try another SY..
"Orbit blocked. Failed to Spawn."

Just trowing in some idea's.

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-21 07:11   
Its a bug. Its caused by desync most of the time, not by not spawning in orbit(which is a bug imo, u should always spawn in orbit at a sy).

Even if you dont spawn in orbit, the planets that go at 1gu/s wouldnt hit u instantly when spawning, though a lot of times when you DO spawn at these slow-moving(yet moving nonetheless) planets you still die instantly.

Just because you don't consider it a bug doesnt mean it isnt a problem that should be dealt with. Whether that means fixing the code, using one of eledore's suggestions, or just turning the orbits off for possible sy planets it should be done.

Like I said, what other game would say "oh, im sorry but this unintended feature that doesnt always happen should be avoided because its known and therefore everyone should know every circumstance it may happen and can avoid it, so we dont need to fix anything. Thanks"

Seriously.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-21 23:38   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 11:45, Faustus wrote:
Collision is all done client-side... we changed that a while back so players wouldn't be hitting planets they don't see.

I have yet to see my ship hit a planet that wasn't there... so it's kinda hard to find and fix if I can reproduce these problems.

If you guys can find a reproducable location, then please post and I'll jump in-game ot check it out.

-F

Ok. Here's what I got.

Rogen's Rift.
Sunshine and Rick, orbiting Lyle gas giant.
These planets seem to move "faster" than most, and they seem to update a little screwy. I also know that when I tried to bomb Rick to take it, the bombs took off in a semi circle, and then I couldn't drop infantry.

I logged off and back on. The system updated my position, as well as the position of the planets. There was a good few hundred gu difference.

It's something to do with the desynch issue it seems to me. You get a little lag built up (reminds me of the memory leaks we got in Pirates of the Burning Sea), and the planets are just one of the things you notice when you are out of synch.

If that's the case it answers the next two part question:

How does this make the planet "run" you over, or kill you when spawning?

1. If you are orbiting in the path of the planets orbit, you get little flashes that dramatically update position and do a correction. The planet shifts before your position updates, and whammo!, it runs u right thru. I've seen this happen. I don't know how this could possibly be client sided. I have seen it happen to another player, means it happened "for real", not just on his side.

2. If for some reason you are experiencing this same type of desynch, the planet you spawn from updates position the second you are spawning, and depending on where you are when you come out of the sy, same result: planet "runs" you over. Again, I have had it happen and seen it happen. Therefore it "happened for real", not just inside my pc, because of some client side lag type issue.

It' is definitely related to the desynch issues that we all "quicklog" to fix. It is just a more visible result of the same issue. Could it be some kind of memory leak? In Pirates, it would fill your ram chock ful and then everything would sorta ghost out. I see that when I see ships go through planets without dying.
Who's desynching? Me because I see him in a planet, or him because he sees the planet else where?
When I see Max orbiting a planet in an engy as I am approaching in orbit, then suddenly see the planet shift 200 gus ahead in orbit. My ship changes direction in course correction. I see Max explode. Who's desynching? Me? Max? The server?
It's all the same exact issue. Hope that helps.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-22 00:00   
Thanks az for a little more detail. I dont really have a good enough memory and dont write down every time something happens Hopefully your details will help F, since our bickering back and forth about whether it should be fixed or not is useless..

Tho I still recommend someone go in and set all the planets that have a moving orbit and are possible sy planets to be set to not move until its figured out.. Unless that will hamper the ability to figure out what exactly is wrong, in which case i'll die a few times if it means getting this fixed

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-22 02:07   
Thank you Az for elaborating on my original post.

Also I agree, pointing fingers and saying the Playerbase has no common sense doesn't get us anywhere. Players die from spawning. And the Sync/Lag issue with planets causes other problems, such as bombing. Sometimes I send fighters at a fast orbiting planet such as Eternety and they head off in another direction and bomb in the middle of empty space.

Turns out when I "quicklog" that the planet was really in that space. But My client saw it hundreds of Gu away in a different location.

As for being "run over" by a fast orbiting planet, yea, it can be carlessness. but the host of other problems like desyncing and Instant spawn death are my main complaint when it comes to these planets.

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-22 02:11   
Quote:

On 2009-09-20 23:15, Fatally Fatal JBud wrote:
It's not a bug though... It is a moving planet. just stay out of it's way. You don't always spawn from a shipyard IN orbit so unless you're sure about the planet just don't spawn at it.

To reitterate what I said in my last post, it's not just all about spawning not in an orbit and then getting run over, it's an "instant" spawn death. You spawn and die, on my client side I saw it happen to Jasper twice, he spawned in what appeared to be a couple hundred gu distance from where the planet really was and instantly exploded.

"Illirya" in r33

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
kyanos
Midshipman

Posted: 2009-09-22 16:56   
well, to be of assistance to the admins, i'd say start turning this forum into a log bin more or less... write down server, system, planet, and what happened when you died, that would prolly help loads, both with the admins and giving players a referance of which planets to avoid for awhile

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-23 00:06   
As long as we are reporting bugs

Margana in RR has ice asteroids that were not all showing up on my client last night but I will still hitting them and got killed.

I also got SY killed spawning out of a planet in Cincinnati the other day, believe it was Lower Atca.

Not sure if it was a sync issue but there was a UGTO ship that got captured today, when we tried to destroy it (with 2 stations and 2+ dreads) it would not take more then 10% armor damage. Couldn't drop infantry on it either.

Also, the crash reporting system seems to be broken. If I recall its been broken for a long time. Unable to connect to ftp or something.

Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-23 02:15   
Um okay i went to SY to grab my SS undocked at Dead rock and Boom blew me up as soon as i undocked

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-09-23 07:52   
We are also losing enhancements when we pull them from our garages. Seems to be worse with the Dark Blue Trail than most, but they all do it. Very annoying and very bad to lose a blue enhancement this way.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-09-23 09:02   
I lost infantry using a SY too, I loaded a transport up with ten, docked at a SY and then undocked at a transfer gate and I only had four.

Julian Delphiki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-09-23 21:19   
Quote:

On 2009-09-23 09:02, Sops wrote:
I lost infantry using a SY too, I loaded a transport up with ten, docked at a SY and then undocked at a transfer gate and I only had four.

Same with resources, but just wait until they all show in your hold and it will generally work. Otherwise you will dock with what you show in your hold, even if the pods have disappeared

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.024001 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR