No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Scenario(SV) vs Metaverse(MV)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Scenario(SV) vs Metaverse(MV)
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-10-25 23:08   
So I saw most players in the Scenario server instead of the MV. I know Faustus loves the MV and it is designed to be the core of the game. It has gone through many changes over the decade DS has been around but in the current form we have now, many seem to point that scenario is more entertaining to play than the Multiverse!

I hopped into the Scenario server and asked some questions. What do you like about the MV. What do you like about Scenario. What dont you like about the MV and what dont you like about Scenario. The answers i got were wonderful, and I appreciate everyone's feedback. My goal is to get responses into the hands of the developers and big F so that the MV can be tailored to be as fun as Scenario. Below are the paraphrased answers:

Scenario is Abbreviated to "SV" to distinguish it without typing Scenario all the time

-SV is better because there is a progression and clearly defined goals: You must capture specific flag planets in order to "win" the SV. This leads me to the next point...

-There is a "WIN" in the SV. If your team captures the correct planets then you actually win something! This leads me to the next point..

-There is an "END" in the SV. The game starts at a particular time and it ends at a particular time. There is a clearly defined winner and loser. Something that lacks in the MV. You can cap the whole of the MV and still not win.. because the enemy can log in tomorrow, and re-cap and no one ever "wins" there is no "end" in the MV.

-You experience more of the game in SV. From baby scouts and light transports to cruisers and Dreadnaughts/stations. You experience every aspect of the game in the SV whereas in the MV you only experience a small sliver, usually the "future era" to borrow a term from games like Civilization or Command and Conquer. This is where the game is nearing it's "End" and all the cool toys and unlockable things are availble. This leads to another point.

-In the MV all you do is Fight, Bomb Planets, Drop Troops, Fight more, Rinse, Wash, Repeat. Sure you can cap planets, but thats about it. There aren't specific goals. Direction, or much to do. You could attack Sol, or No Water... It's pretty much always the same, it gets boring quickly because you know that the enemy will attack shipyard planets first... they will bomb, then they will drop troops, fix up the planet, and move on to the next. In Scenario there are multiple paths to choose, and they aren't always predictable....

-People dont get distracted by AI and sit there farming AI all day rather than trying to cap a planet, which becomes boring too.

-There is a level playing field in Scenario. Everyone starts off with the same foothold, no resources, no population, empty planets. It's a chance for a "fair" fight as some have said.

-There are more people all on one map rather than having them spead out over mutliple solar systems. Even in "Saggitarius" everyone is on the same server, but even then they could be spread out across 3 different maps. Not to mention we have Rogen's Rift, procyon, and the home servers as well....My personal thoughts, as echoed in the RR thread I posted a while back. There should be 4 servers max. 3 Home systems which serve as beginner areas with basic AI and new players (with a cap on prestige) these systems should not be attackable unless the other server which is akin to Saggitarius now is fully capped by one of the factions. Then "Unlocking" entry into the other servers. The Main MV server or "Saggitarius" should be free of AI, or at least, have very few AI interfearing with full on Player Vs. Player Combat and capture. Plus, each system or Map must be fully capped with specific planets being capped in an order (much like SV) so that there is a direction, goals, and defined order of battle to the game, in additon, rewards should be given out for the teams which cap the systems like bonus prestige in SV.

I hope this wasn't too much to read, and I encourage everyone to provide feedback as well. Please, avoid talking about "balance" issues or flaming about one fleet, or one faction or another. Try to keep this thread about the topic at hand, which is:

How the game is played and what makes it most enjoyable.

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
DarkOutlaw-S|S-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-25 23:41   
Well one thing i can say is, to the best of my knowledge, The MV is supposed to be "live" and never ending. Its an ongoing war. Its supposed to be that way.

I agree there has to be rewards for stuff in the MV. but i think that is on their agenda already.

but im not a mod or admin.

Those are my thoughts on the topic.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-25 23:57   
metaverse is pretty good except all you do really bomb troops off and drop yours i mean if you do it right ou can go threw a system in 30 mins tops so not realy challengeing. i think something lke if you hold luyten system for this amount of time you get something or something like that. make it more active i guess is the word to use.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-26 00:47   
Those are basically the reasons I prefer scenario.

In MV everything is already built except for maybe the odd planet that's been bombed. In scenario you start from scratch every few hours. You gotta cap planets fast, build them fast, defend them etc. It's fast paced, hectic at times, good prestige and it lets you play every aspect of this game, rather than in MV where you just jump into a combat ship most of the time.

Everyone is in the same map in scenario. Action is guaranteed. There's really no AI to farm so players look for each other. Small ships are used in the beginning (or should be, there's that bug that allows ships from previous maps to be spawned at gates instead of needing a sy and the proer tech) and bigger ships are brought out as time goes on and depending on how succesful a faction is and how much teamwork it has.

In my opinion, the MV cannot rival scenario gameplay due to it's very nature. It's persistent, and persistence prohibits much of what makes scenario fun, which is a new map every few hours where everyone starts from scratch again.

If that bug allowing previous ships to be spawned without a sy and the required tech is fixed, scenario would be the best. Or maybe no shipyards at all *hint hint*

EDIT: Let's put it this way: How often do you capture and build planets in the MV? Once in a while at most. How often do you do it in scenario? If you're a player like me you're doing it all the time, and enjoying it. You don't even need to bomb a lot of the time because planets start with nothing on them.

Capturing and building planets is a part of DS gameplay that's not often used in the MV, while in scenario it's always happening.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-10-26 00:51 ]

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 01:28   
SV because of the gameplay speed. in MV it's like watching turtle cross a 8 lane highway. You just sit there watching it go and just hoping a car comes along and sqooshes it but it never happens.

SV people attack, they fight and they don't sit around.

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-10-26 01:53   
Quote:

On 2009-10-26 01:28, --Daedalus-- wrote:

SV people attack, they fight and they don't sit around.

The more important statement isnt that the action is faster paced in SV, but rather, WHY is it faster paced in SV.

You have the same players, but the pace is different, my aim is to understand why.

I think we can all agree a faster game is more fun. I'd say SV is faster becauase it needs to be constantly protected, as it's developing. Darkspace's "early era" as it were (again to borrow a term from other video games) is a more face paced timeframe. Once everything is built up, once things are setup with Level III def bases and platforms etc... it becomes much easier to sit back and relax.

Which I think also is because there is less "opportunity" to attack. When you're attcking a well defended, well setup system that is full controlled by your enemy it's alot more daunting, you're less likely to bother taking the risk, and it takes alot more coordination and effort in the MV

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 02:09   
imo the core of scenario is what MV should be like.

a start and a finnish.

you either conquer the universe or you don't. and when you won/lost, it resets and ppl start over.

Orso
Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 02:09   
sv was alot better than it is now, that people are able to keep dreads from 1 senerio to the next takes alot of the fun from the game.

please fix this exploit as people of no integrety are abusing it.

Hegemonia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 03:52   
i wish there was an equl number of scenario servers as there is MV servers!!!

S_T_A_T_I_C
Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 04:19   
SV is fun because you have combat of upto 20 ships all attacking each other.

I remember when the MV was kinda like a triangle, and each of the factions had there own zones. If you went into an enemy zone you would have to be really careful. But now the MV is such a confusing mess, most players have no idea whats going on. I think this new MV is just way too big.

Email S_T_A_T_I_C   Goto the website of S_T_A_T_I_C
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-26 04:51   
Quote:

On 2009-10-26 04:19, S_T_A_T_I_C-(Jungle-is-Massive)-VA- wrote:
I think this new MV is just way too big.

to big? its a mere shadow of what it once were....

MV used to be insanely big.

but they do need to make it just 1 server again.

and they need to make MI ALOT more agressive when it comes to retaking planets. as in actually retaking planets

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-10-26 06:35   
SV is also building Teamwork with new and old players, Teams are actually working together (and this can be seen clearly) in building and protecting planets.

It's the best place for the new guys to learn Everything, Bombing, Capping, Building and Tactical Combat.

People will start mentioning a lot of fixes for the SV.

Like the Dread and Cruiser/Dessie Spawning. - Although most that do this take a SY planet then stick to defending it, Haven't seen anybody purposely going off and harassing the other fractions in there Dread/Cruiser or Frig.

Okag D/C problem which somehow spread to Raf for some people.
Where Okag a Terran planet is in a Safe zone that isn't a safe zone or something =S

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2009-10-26 06:38   
my two cents as a aspiring game designer are as follows

A. The MV
1. each race has a home system.
2. there are two other factions i know of P and MI
3. There are several zones in between all factions.
4. There are tactical targets in MV that are essential for controle

B. The 3 Factions
1. Seems to be some governing body behind all 3
2. All three factions have affiliated fleets
3. All three factions have diff agendas

From what i can tell its up to the fleet commanders to deside what to do whith his fleet.
my proposal is this. have a governing body for each faction to be more involved. Give orders to fleets to take or protect key planets in a system to work thier way towards a descisive victory (ie taking a home system)

This takes no game moding exept for giving fleets whom asertain their goals bonus pres or upgrades.

Factions would have to gather intel and distribute conter intel. in this way the scout becomes far more useful.

This would also string together fleets of ships to obtain goals.

well.. its 5 in the mornig and maby im out of my mind... but feel free to expand on this idea

i think having def goals for established fleets would make fleets that much more to the point.
and then again maby its already like this and i just dont know lol

Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2009-10-26 10:12   
Quote:

On 2009-10-25 23:08, Krim {C?} wrote:

-SV is better because there is a progression and clearly defined goals: You must capture specific flag planets in order to "win" the SV. This leads me to the next point...

-There is a "WIN" in the SV. If your team captures the correct planets then you actually win something! This leads me to the next point..

-There are more people all on one map rather than having them spead out over mutliple solar systems. Even in "Saggitarius" everyone is on the same server, but even then they could be spread out across 3 different maps. Not to mention we have Rogen's Rift, procyon, and the home servers as well....My personal thoughts, as echoed in the RR thread I posted a while back. There should be 4 servers max. 3 Home systems which serve as beginner areas with basic AI and new players (with a cap on prestige) these systems should not be attackable unless the other server which is akin to Saggitarius now is fully capped by one of the factions. Then "Unlocking" entry into the other servers. The Main MV server or "Saggitarius" should be free of AI, or at least, have very few AI interfearing with full on Player Vs. Player Combat and capture. Plus, each system or Map must be fully capped with specific planets being capped in an order (much like SV) so that there is a direction, goals, and defined order of battle to the game, in additon, rewards should be given out for the teams which cap the systems like bonus prestige in SV.

As I read this I think back.. This is how the game was back in my day, or relativley close. I don't remember if it had a time limit, but it did end when all flagged planets were taken and held for X amount of time. There was large amounts of action almost at every corner of every system. Life was good and I've been asking for those old days back.

When I DO ask for them back, I'm told it has evolved since then and most of the way it was before is lost to history. I for one would like to see the old system of play in DS returned.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-26 10:30   
I'd still prefer a battle arena to the MV. I'd love an area that has a few clustered planets for all 5 factions, all locked. No bombing, no building, no trannies. Just combat and supply ships can spawn. Ships from garage, no problem.
Design it like the old fleetwars server, except place the spawn points within the arena, as opposed to a connecting jumpgate. Fill the map the rest of the way with some gas planets, fire planets, a few asteroids, and the rest open space. A Procyon sized system would work great. The old Nicea system is even a better better, with several clusters for the factions to "own", and lots of open space to duke it out.
This would give folks that want the "instant fight" to have it, without waiting an hour for a shipyard and then resources for several ships to spawn. The scenario has it's place, but so does the MV type concept. I think a battle arena could melt the two together.
For myself, I'd prefer it over any PvE servers at all.
All combat.
All the time.
Oh yeah

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025970 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR