No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Possible Idea?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Possible Idea?
Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 04:51   
I realize this is just asking to be flamed, but think about it for a sec. I thought about this after seeing someone lagging run into a planet while I was mashing spacebar xD

ICC is a defensive faction, using long-range weapons with low but flat flat damage over all ranges.

As far as the ICC go, they generally get pwned at close range, people dun really play ICC except for a few.

K'luth just sneak up behind a ship, uncloak and mash spacebar once or twice. UGTO point jump and run to a supply afterwards. (over-generalized but it happens a bit)

That said, what if weapons had a knockback effect. You get hit with something, it makes you slide over abit, sorta like pushing plats around with a tractor. It wouldn't be drastic of course, and wouldn't really work against ships much larger than you as they would have more inertia to resist with compared to the smaller guns of destroyers and frigates versus a cruiser/dreadnaught.

It makes sense, as railguns/gauss cannons are mass drivers, which would have lots of kinetic energy to push around. (i realize it depends on what they shoot, but you get the idea.) Haven't really thought about missiles or torpedoes though...

I'm not saying ICC can't hold their own, but this might be kind of interesting. 0.o
K'luth would have trouble staying in beam range without their cloak. (apparently some kluth players think that if they have several adv weapon multiplexers they can uncloak and just mash spacebar to victory.)
And UGTO, while being technically able to kinda just tank the rails/gauss, wouldn't WANT to get hit with it lest they get pushed in front of that angry mandible or something. Those examples are a bit extreme, but they show such an effect could increase the strategic value of ships versus just mashing spacebar. (I'm sure most people group their weapons, again just an example.)
[ This Message was edited by: Ian9018 on 2009-10-30 05:46 ]

ZeroCool[No Lame No Fame]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 04:58   
Original idea, but not gonna happen, devs too lazy to do something like that.And i understand them, why would they bother so much when theyr not getting payed for anything they do.

Email ZeroCool[No Lame No Fame]
Hegemonia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 05:29   
i like the idea and im a kluth player lol.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-30 06:06   
Your talking about a few meters long missle, or a few meters long torpedoe moving a ship the size of a dreadnaught by impact, if I am reading you right.
It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Even in zero gravity, the power of the engines on a dreanaught would keep them heading in their direction. A tiny amount of shake might happen, but not some powerful force that would move the ship in any dramatic fashion.
I also don't see how this adds anything at all to ICC's abilities.
Kluth have PSI and Shredders, and UGTO uses the same missles as ICC. What would effect one would effect all. I don't see any advantages gained in any way.
Maybe it would look cool, from a gfx standpoint, but I don't see any way it could/would really effect gameplay.

Quote:

Zero Cool said:

Original idea, but not gonna happen, devs too lazy to do something like that. And i understand them, why would they bother so much when theyr not getting payed for anything they do.

That is just a dumb statement. Sorry but it is. It shows you have no idea what drives the staff that volunteer their time to the game. It ignores the recent changes that have been made. It ignores how much progress toward a balanced game they have already made. Yeah, by those same "lazy" & unpaid staff members.
Basically, it's needless slander for the sake of trying to sound intelligent.

And you phail.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 06:47   
I didn't say I had everything figured out. -.- It's why we discuss.
Although I did expect something like that to happen 0.o

Psi cannons shoot concentrated bolts of psi energy, thus have little/no mass.
PCannons shoot balls of shielded subatomic particles, physical and with mass but not very dense for their size

Although I'm not really considering missiles too much, railguns and gauss cannons are mass drivers. I don't remember anyone saying what/how much mass though. For all we know, they toss small amounts of neutronium shelled inside a permanent sabot. Besides, I can understand dreadnaughts or stations being nearly/completely immune to such an effect, but most of us now are unsubbed and thus restricted to a cruiser or lower anyways. Why does Eledore have 2.5 years of subscription anyways?

Ships have powerful rear engines that allow them to go forward/backwards yes, but the manuevering engines which allows the ship to turn are actually rather weak. The ship's smaller engines would initially be overpowered by such an impact then eventually right itself which ends up being a sliding effect. Assuming you run straight into the stream of shots, it would pretty much be a slight slowing effect. Also note that cannons don't shoot just one round, they shoot several. Won't do much if you get hit by a shot here and there but the entire stream? The point is, ICC weapons do little damage, and overall have trouble making things break. Our ships have a naturally higher turn rate (i think) and our weapons both long range and non-degrading damage over that range. Aside from an interdictor (which isn't desirable in combat) we have no decent way to keep effective range during combat. Though I suppose this would also nescessitate an increase in projectile speed...

Missile ships aren't really a standalone ship anyways, not requiring missiles to have knockback because there is usually a more straightforward combat ship to occupy the enemy. Interestingly enough I would think that as a missile hits the explosion isn't just forward but also sideways, the armor/shielding further diffuse the kinetic energy allowing the engines to account for whatever motion is left.

Torps are basically unguided nukes, tending to burn away rather than pound through, again not going just forward as they detonate but naturally sideways as well. I can imagine they would have a light light effect though...

Just an idea though.
[ This Message was edited by: Ian9018 on 2009-10-30 07:41 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-30 07:18   
Plasma cannons are mass energy projectiles. As are SI, QST and I think the ICC core weapon as well.

I'm not flaming your idea by any means. It would have a nice effect if the ship would just rock slightly from impact. Would be a damn cool effect actually. I just don't see where it gains anyone (especially ICC) any kind of advantage. Nor do I personally see where it should.
I do like the idea tho. I'd just prefer it to be a gfx effect only.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 07:45   
In the end though, I suppose it's kind of interesting to just hold the thought up for a minute and kind of imagine how it would work eh? Science is a wonderful thing and the science in DS allows for a lot of interesting things.

Just a gfx effect, I think the devs would probably never do it then as I'm sure they have more important things to do.

That said, they managed to sneak in the interdictor gfx, and while annoying has saved me a few times when I run around in a weak ship. =D

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-10-30 07:51   
science & fiction are another things.

DS has no inertia or gravity. and having a sort of Push beam cannon will just result in the same problems a the tractor beam, desync.

Not knocking you completely down, the idea is nice. something like this already has crossed my mind once. Maybe its worthy to place in the beta fridge to take it into calculation for Ds 2.0?

Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 08:03   
The idea was kinda like...

K'luth would have rather unaffected gameplay, as most of their weapons are energy based

UGTO might have a light effect, or you could simply say that pcannon shots disperse too quickly to move things or something

ICC would've had the strongest effect, pushing ships away slightly allowing the guns to do their damage with the benefit of reduced psi/pcannon effectiveness. I figured ICC wouldn't have had a significant damage boost any time soon... >.>

By no means would the effect be overwheling of course, you could still advance on the ship rather easily, but you would have less chances to broadside an icc ship otherwise they just dodge as the guns force you away... I guess the desync thing kills it all off though.
[ This Message was edited by: Ian9018 on 2009-10-30 08:04 ]

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-10-30 09:35   
Increasing the Damage would be far easier then this though.

Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:19   
Quote:

On 2009-10-30 07:51, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
science & fiction are another things.

DS has no inertia or gravity. and having a sort of Push beam cannon will just result in the same problems a the tractor beam, desync.

DS has it's version of inertia. While at max speed, deactivate your engines and see if you can slow down.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:26   
Sorry, but this would play havoc with the prediction code and would really make the game look like crap... I'm not opposed to the hit ship rocking a bit from large impacts, but I would not want to make it so hits could slide ships around.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:28   
I kinda figured this would get run into a star *cough* but I'm sure you probably have better things to do =D

Though if you DO ever decide to do it, it would look pretty cool XD

Hegemonia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:39   
i like the idea and im a kluth player lol.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:51   
How about ships rocking from side to side slightly (along their y axis)? That a better proposal?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023134 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR