No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Flux is all Fluxed Up.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Flux is all Fluxed Up.
Light404
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-04 17:55   
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 17:03, Krim {C?} wrote:
One way to think about Flux being underpowerd from an opponent's viewpoint. Have you ever seen the sparkle of a flux wave and gone "Oh crap! i'm screwed now!" or have you ever had a fleet of AI flux you and go "oh crap, thats alot of flux waves" And as for flux beams, considering they are only on a handful of vessles (Assault Destroyer, Torpedo Cruiser, EAD) You think they would do something other than look pretty. Even combined, sustained firing of flux beams isn't going to do anything.

Yes flux still scares me. Admittedly if I'm only fighting a single UGTO ship then I'm not as worried about systems damage, but when 2 or more ugto ships are firing at me, systems damage is still a real concern, the only difference is that flux/emp is not the weapon of God like it was before. Where pre-update it only took 2 maybe 3 shots to toast an entire ship, post-update it takes 4-5 to toast a couple systems, which is exactly as it should be.

The other factor about flux is that it's short range (limited to 250gu and under) combined with the fact that the armor and shields must be down on that facing it should do something one on one. When you're that close, if you have multiple ships within that short range, you typically cant fire due to Friendly fire possibilities. also taking into consideration that all the flux beams are fore mounted and you have more limitations when using it.

welcome to the problem that EVERY SHIP IN THE GAME FACES!!!!! Weapons only fire on certain arcs, learn to pilot your ship and out maneuver your opponents so that you can use said weapons. After you have mastered that, learn to co-ordinate with your teammates and not mash spacebar even though you clearly see that one of your own ships is in the way.

and FYI: when I'm fighting multiple ships, I maneuver so that I force my opponents to line up effectively taking one out of the fight, albeit temporarily. In fact, i always hope that that second ship will keep firing.

For weapons that are supposed to be unique, and difficult to use, they shoudl do more....

you are not the ultimate ship with the ultimate weapons (that honor belongs to a scout with maverick's weapon augmentation) weapons damage stacks and multiplies, you need to be in a group for ANY WEAPON to be truly effective, that is how they "do more".

I do see what your problem is though, now that your ultimate ace-up-your-sleves trump card has been turned into a mere king, you are upset that now you need legitimate tactics to be effective in combat

Light404
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-04 18:01   
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 17:43, MrSparkle wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 15:19, Pakhos wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 12:18, MrSparkle wrote:
Yes flux beam, flux wave, emp and ELF are all underpowered.

Flux beam and wave isnt really big deal fro kluth since kluth has ahr. But poor icc, takes 5 mins to repair system damage if u cant find supply .

True but I'm not basing it on their effect on Kluth. I'm basing it more on long ago when they actually did decent systems damage and ELF actually drained a significant amount of energy.

Mines are underpowered too btw I'd say that's for another thread but might as well lump them in here with the other underpowered weapons.

Lol, you have a skewed idea of long ago. flux did more than significant damage before the last patch.

I can't say I've ever really noticed the specific effects that elf beam has had on me, when my energy is gone I assume that it simply got used up cause I turned on my shields.

And mines are underpowered. No one uses em anymore.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-11-04 18:41   
I think with the new systems management it'll be much easier to scale EMP damage, although since we have no real high or low values to base our balancing off it's a bit of hit and miss with the damage values currently.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Rest assured, if it's too powerful/high, it'll be brought back down to managable and balanced levels.

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-11-04 18:52   
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 17:55, Light404 wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 17:03, Krim {C?} wrote:
Yes flux still scares me. Admittedly if I'm only fighting a single UGTO ship then I'm not as worried about systems damage, but when 2 or more ugto ships are firing at me, systems damage is still a real concern, the only difference is that flux/emp is not the weapon of God like it was before. Where pre-update it only took 2 maybe 3 shots to toast an entire ship, post-update it takes 4-5 to toast a couple systems, which is exactly as it should be.

welcome to the problem that EVERY SHIP IN THE GAME FACES!!!!! Weapons only fire on certain arcs, learn to pilot your ship and out maneuver your opponents so that you can use said weapons. After you have mastered that, learn to co-ordinate with your teammates and not mash spacebar even though you clearly see that one of your own ships is in the way.

and FYI: when I'm fighting multiple ships, I maneuver so that I force my opponents to line up effectively taking one out of the fight, albeit temporarily. In fact, i always hope that that second ship will keep firing.

For weapons that are supposed to be unique, and difficult to use, they shoudl do more....

you are not the ultimate ship with the ultimate weapons (that honor belongs to a scout with maverick's weapon augmentation) weapons damage stacks and multiplies, you need to be in a group for ANY WEAPON to be truly effective, that is how they "do more".

I do see what your problem is though, now that your ultimate ace-up-your-sleves trump card has been turned into a mere king, you are upset that now you need legitimate tactics to be effective in combat

First of all, you think i'm upset. I'm not, I can continue to play the game without flux being useful, I'm trying to point out what I belive is a flaw in the game design. If you're going to each faction a unique device. Make it do something. Second, You're assuming I dont know how to pilot my ship and am merely complaining because of a weapon that used to be abused is now worthless. I do know how to pilot my ships, from scouts to dreads.

You're wrong. I'm not looking for a god like weapon. I'm not looking for anything to be changed when it comes to arcs or otherwise, all i'm trying to do is highlight the problem we have with flux based weapons. Specifically Flux wave, it has a 50 second cooldown.... in combat you get to use it once, maybe twice if you're lucky.

If you'd bother to re-read my testing, or hell, even do some testing of your own, you would see that the exact problem is that flux is /not/ stacking. The damage is repaired long before another volley is fired.

But in defense of your argument (which includes nothing more than a berating of my ability to fly vessels in DS) I will do more testing, this time with multiple vessels firing thier flux based weapons. And no. I'm not going to test it based on a "realistic" combat with all kinds of weapons flying around , lasers, missiles, torps etc... changing the testing.

Ever heard of the scientific method? You isolate your variables and test them. I'm well aware that there is more to combat than just point and shoot. And i'll have you know, I dont touch my spacebar. Ever. Everything is on different keybinds, i have all 9 keys used on some vessels.

Look, I'm not complaining, i'm not here to put down other players abilities or skills. Flux is beyond weak. I'm pointing out it's shortcomings. But honestly leave it the way it is and dont change a damn thing. I'd gladly leave it the way it is to keep someone like you from commenting and putting down other people merely because they're trying to highlight a certain aspect of the game. If the developers want to leave it the way it is. Perfect. We'll just have more Mines, ELF's and other useless crap to not utilize when we play.

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-11-04 20:11   
Hey Krim

I volunteer myself to help you conduct any tests i can help you with.

I do notice a big drop in emp and flux beam effectiveness, granted it was a bit too much at one time but now it seems totaly ineffective.

To add I would like the elf beam fixed the way it use to be where it would not just drain the energy from an enemy ship but transfer it over to mine

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-04 21:30   
ELF does that now, it's just so little you don't notice it.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-11-04 22:34   
Quote:

On 2009-11-04 21:30, MrSparkle wrote:
ELF does that now, it's just so little you don't notice it.

because u spend more energy to fire an elf beam than what it gives to you.

tucker32
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-05 08:05   
i would like mines i like using them just for fun but it would be good if they acutally had more power to them

Thugomatic
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-05 14:16   
ok in general it would seem all faction specials(pulse beams, flux beams, elf) are all currently craptacular. So in that respect were alll balanced.

But ya anyhoo

fix the flux

fix the elf.

problem with pulse beams is that there too short a distance. Which is why icc just stay wit cl's, id say increase the beam distance a good 20 too 30 percent if not a skosh more.

flyerken
Commander

Posted: 2009-11-06 11:12   
The problem with balancing flux is AHR.
If you make it powerful enough that it has effect on kluth ships then it will devastate ICC ships. If you balance it with ICC ships then kluth doesn't even notice it because it will be repaired in no time.
An easy way for this to be balanced is for systems that are damaged by flux will not be repaired by the AHR. This way you can easily balance flux.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-11-06 11:30   
Quote:

On 2009-11-06 11:12, flyerken wrote:
The problem with balancing flux is AHR.
If you make it powerful enough that it has effect on kluth ships then it will devastate ICC ships. If you balance it with ICC ships then kluth doesn't even notice it because it will be repaired in no time.
An easy way for this to be balanced is for systems that are damaged by flux will not be repaired by the AHR. This way you can easily balance flux.

also i would like to remind you that kluths are biological ships. With your way of thinking, it should never get effected by flux. How about that?

flyerken
Commander

Posted: 2009-11-07 09:13   
Quote:

also i would like to remind you that kluths are biological ships. With your way of thinking, it should never get effected by flux. How about that?

Biological means that it can not be effected by radiation? Are our bodies not all just machines.

But then again you are Kluth so you would not know anything how useless flux is versus kluth

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017718 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR