No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Star Gate Universe
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Star Gate Universe
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2009-12-08 21:54   
So been watching the show for ten episodes now.. and am feeling a bit let down.
I loved SG-1 and what episodes i saw of atlantas i liked,

so heres the question...what do the rest of the DSC think of SGU?

i have my own opinion... just want to see others opinion to see if im crazy.

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-12-08 22:16   
i like it better then the other stargates just cause its completely different. sg1 and sga were both pretty good tho. wonder if we'll see much more of talford after he got his but kicked lol... what do u guys think will happen to... umm... crap... the whats his name scientist taht got left on the planet (ill remember it in 10 min)

oh and does anyone know near the end of sga when all of the replicators were destroyed except for the dr weir replicator (and her ship mates), and she said "its time to begin" what she ment by that or is it to be answered in the movie?

EDIT: lol its been about 10 min... the scientist dude is Rush

[ This Message was edited by: spacegatekid08 on 2009-12-08 22:30 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2009-12-08 23:43   
i think hes gonna use the ship on the planet to get back to... or at the destiny.

one things for sure.. you can bet we have not seen the last of him.

hell i think id left his butooty on that planet after that stunt too

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-09 00:12   
Give it some time I say... They may be off to a rough start, I admit if it were not for a single episode (Time) I would have already stopped watching.. But I think the series will get much much better...

Also the stranding of Rush on that planet will not stop him from getting back to Destiny... That man is dedicated he will find a way.
[ This Message was edited by: The Red-Nosed Dreadnought on 2009-12-09 00:14 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2009-12-09 01:04   
nice tag

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-12-09 15:57   
im thinking that the alians might come back for there ship and find rush and they'll take rush with them back to the destiny, or rush will sneak on bored their mother ship and they'll just happe to run accros destiny later on. kinda depenends how long that ships been on the planet tho... if its been there hundreds of years then they;re proabily not coming back for it but if its been there for maybe a few months or less... hard to say at this point. u can bet ill keep watching tho

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-12-09 19:36   
Alright. Here comes the negative responses to SGU (Although I too keep watching hope it will get better).

1) That ship is supposed to be flying around making new stargates, yet they keep flying back into range of currently existing stargates. The Milky Way SG network and Pegasus SG network reaches all over the galaxy without trouble, but this ship needs to be close to the target system to open the gate.

2) It has a pointless, arbitrary timer for each stop, which makes no sense. Who would design something like that? Even on Sliders, it was a broken timer device that did this.

3) The ship flies into stars to recharge its batteries. If it was going to do this, it would do it to a complete charge, yet it passes through that one star with JUST ENOUGH to get us to the next stop and keep things difficult.

4) The aliens will not be a significant role in this series. The writers have said the show is focusing more on the inter-personal politics than epic life-death bad guy stuff like the previous 2 shows. They are going for a Battlestar Galactica angle. In my opinion, they are not doing as well.

5) Unrealistic situations. "Hi, I am a co-worker of your son's. We have never met. Would you mind if we bake cookies and discuss deeply personal memories for the next few hours?" If someone shows up at my door claiming to know my child, it's a ten minute conversation at best.

6) Abuse of host bodies. They drink alcohol and have sex (even of opposite orientation) using the host bodies. The hosts remember the instances. That's just messed up.

7) The 'stress' the people on the ship are under is hardly realistic. With their communicators, they can see their families at least 1-2 times a week/month. It might not be ideal, but its about the same as having a job out of state. Hell, some of us dont even get to see our families even THAT much.

8) There is no significant plot. They are going nowhere and doing nothing. The show isn't old enough for me to give a crap about the characters, and there is no big bad to draw my attention while I build a bond to the characters. It's a bit boring. I used to stop everything to watch SG1 and SGA. I 'watch' SGU while playing EVE and doing homework. It just isnt interesting enough to grasp my whole attention.

9) Im only watching to see if pudgy ever gets to tap that hot girl. Speaking of which, why would a Senator's daughter know about the SG program? The senator is a stretch, but his daughter??

Thus far the show ranks a 4/10 with me. Hell, the most interesting character (Rush) they seem to be trying to turn into the 'bad guy'. It's enough to have me check out the next half of this season, but if it doesn't shape up quickly, I am gonna bail on it.

Good shows are awesome all the way through, and you eat up every minute of it like a starving child. You shouldnt have to force your way through a show until it becomes good later. That's a bad sign.

For reference to my show scaling system:

10/10: Rome, Battlestar Galactica (of course the new one)
9/10: Star Trek Voyager, ST Deep Space 9, House, SG1 (seasons 1-8)
8/10: The Office, MythBusters, SG1 (Seasons 9-10), SGA
7/10: Enterprise, Friends, SGA (Final season)
6/10: Ghost Hunters, Star Trek TNG, Penn and Teller's Bulls***
5/10: Parks and Recreation, Family Guy, Simpsons
4/10: SGU
3/10: American Dad, Spongebob
2/10: America's Funniest Home Videos
1/10: Fox News (ZING!)

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-09 19:38   
SPOILER: RUSH KILLS DUMBLEDORE

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-12-09 20:22   
Sadly you got a few points wrong here...
Quote:

On 2009-12-09 19:36, Kanman wrote:
Alright. Here comes the negative responses to SGU (Although I too keep watching hope it will get better).

1) That ship is supposed to be flying around making new stargates, yet they keep flying back into range of currently existing stargates. The Milky Way SG network and Pegasus SG network reaches all over the galaxy without trouble, but this ship needs to be close to the target system to open the gate.

Wrong - They state there were MULTIPLE ships sent out. They keep saying two, but in one episode they said that Destiny is one of three ships. They explain:
First ship - Sent out to scout systems for suitable planets
Second Ship - Actually mines the mineral for the stargates, builds them, and puts them on the planets.
Third Ship - Destiny - follows behind the other two allowing a group of Ancients a platform to get to the new gate systems in other Galaxies.

*Note: When they first get the navigation system online in the pilot you actually see its course and that it had left the Milky Way, gone through another Galaxy already and was just reaching another Galaxy.
Quote:

2) It has a pointless, arbitrary timer for each stop, which makes no sense. Who would design something like that? Even on Sliders, it was a broken timer device that did this.

This truely is a poor plot mechanism, but they needed something to keep the show flowing along. If it was the same ammount of time each stop it might be more believable, but the random times, 2 hrs, 12 hours, etc... meh... Supposidely the ships auto-pilot knows what they need (food, water, air) and trys to locate gates placed before it that had those items (thousands of years before it came along?), but it has to keep up a certain schedule to follow the other two ships so cant dally in one place for too long.
Quote:

3) The ship flies into stars to recharge its batteries. If it was going to do this, it would do it to a complete charge, yet it passes through that one star with JUST ENOUGH to get us to the next stop and keep things difficult.

This was actually explained multiple times in the show. The batteries (power storage matrix) is old and failing. Like with rechargable batteries now, they lose capacity over time and multiple recharges. They even said, that by their best guess, the ship might only have 40% of its original power capacity. This is also part of the plot mechanism that they use to justify limited planet stargate ranges.
Quote:

4) The aliens will not be a significant role in this series. The writers have said the show is focusing more on the inter-personal politics than epic life-death bad guy stuff like the previous 2 shows. They are going for a Battlestar Galactica angle. In my opinion, they are not doing as well.

Which is interesting since we've already had alien bugs in multiple episodes and how about the space ship that you see at the end of (I think Air) un-docking and flying off just before the credits.

Anyone else notice it looks decissively like the one they found on the planet and left Rush on?
Quote:

5) Unrealistic situations. "Hi, I am a co-worker of your son's. We have never met. Would you mind if we bake cookies and discuss deeply personal memories for the next few hours?" If someone shows up at my door claiming to know my child, it's a ten minute conversation at best.

Actually there is no way the government would EVER let them off the base. Hell, I doubt they'd let them out of the room they keep the stones in.

But thats another flawed plot mechanism, the stones were fabricated for O'neil and the barbers story line, they later revisted them to explain a way to bring the Orin story line into play. It was first described they had limited range (the barber only could pick up O'neils memories when he was back on Earth and writing his reports), then canon was changed to make the Orin plot work(Now they work across Galaxies). Now we have them beaming instantly over 3 galaxies?!?

Another unrealistic situation is their weapons. Yes they said they are low on ammo, yet they still seem to blow through it. Typically you only carry 75 to 150 rounds of .556 (assault rifle - M-16/M-4) ammo per person. Typicallyin only 3 Mags (counting the one in the pistol) for your hand held weapon. (Not everyone gets both a rifle and pistol). But I digress, in Stargate SG-1 they stated several seasons back that a couple of people per team would get Zat's as backup weapons instead of pistols. And you see this in several episodes during the last 3 seasons.

So why does no-one on SGU have a Zat even though they remembered the stones? They run on energy and could be recharged on the hot plate.
Quote:

6) Abuse of host bodies. They drink alcohol and have sex (even of opposite orientation) using the host bodies. The hosts remember the instances. That's just messed up.

Poorly thought out plot mechanism again in order to induce drama. The stones overall are a bad idea.

During the Orin story line, Jackson and Valla had no shared memories from their hosts or lingering experiences afterwards.

But in the original SG-1 O'neil and the Barber both shared memories of events. This is the basis they are using to justify the drama factor now.
Quote:

7) The 'stress' the people on the ship are under is hardly realistic. With their communicators, they can see their families at least 1-2 times a week/month. It might not be ideal, but its about the same as having a job out of state. Hell, some of us dont even get to see our families even THAT much.

The stress is to being isolated from "Home". Even the remote visit doesn't really fix it because its limited for a day at most.

I saw many people equally stressed out when confined on ship for weeks or months at a time, or at a forward base with little to no communication home. Even when you are home you might only see a particular friend once a week or month, but you have that ability. When you are isolated many people become depressed with the lack of "freedom". Even more so when you are stuck on an old rust bucket falling appart around you.
Quote:

There is no significant plot. They are going nowhere and doing nothing. The show isn't old enough for me to give a crap about the characters, and there is no big bad to draw my attention while I build a bond to the characters. It's a bit boring. I used to stop everything to watch SG1 and SGA. I 'watch' SGU while playing EVE and doing homework. It just isnt interesting enough to grasp my whole attention.

They are trying to meld several show ideas into one, and failing at it I feel. But what they stated in the shows synopsis was it was about taking people, throwing them in an isolated situation with no idea of where they are or how to get home. Just 150 people left to their own designs.

Adding the comm stones really took away from that though.
Quote:

9) Im only watching to see if pudgy ever gets to tap that hot girl. Speaking of which, why would a Senator's daughter know about the SG program? The senator is a stretch, but his daughter??

That was explained as well, he hired her out of college as his Aide de Camp. A Senator's most trusted aide is privy to just about everything they know and often have very high level security clearances. They are the ones that actually talk to people, set up meetings and schedules, etc. This was probably one of the only FEW believable plot schemes.
Quote:

Thus far the show ranks a 4/10 with me. Hell, the most interesting character (Rush) they seem to be trying to turn into the 'bad guy'. It's enough to have me check out the next half of this season, but if it doesn't shape up quickly, I am gonna bail on it.

He's been an egotistic mad man since the beginning of the show. They aren't turning him into a bad guy, his true nature is revealing itself. Just like many of the other characters are suddenly turning out to be either less sure of themselves in unfamilure situations or becoming more selfish and greedy. Think of the book/movie "Lord of the Flies".

Now for my own take...
This show feels like "Farscape" and "StarTrek: Voyager" meet "Stargate". Like Stargate:Atlantis, I don't see it lasting much longer than 4 or 5 seasons.

I never really cared for Farscape and Voyager was meh in the begining, campy in the middle, and ok near the end. I still prefer the Stargate books (original 3 books) and movie to the shows. They changed a lot from the books to make the TV show.

Email Tael
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-09 20:38   
I preferred Stargate: Infinity

ahh yea:

actually i found infinity to be the most scientificly offensive stargate ever made
[ This Message was edited by: The Red-Nosed Dreadnought on 2009-12-09 20:40 ]

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-09 21:35   
Quote:

On 2009-12-09 20:22, Tael wrote:
Now for my own take...
This show feels like "Farscape" and "StarTrek: Voyager" meet "Stargate". Like Stargate:Atlantis, I don't see it lasting much longer than 4 or 5 seasons.

Unless they really pick it up I don't see the show lasting 4 seasons. As far as I can gather some SG fans hate the show, some think its okay but no one is in love with it.

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-12-10 17:05   
wow thanks for that Tael. i only noticed one thing that i disagreed with which was the whole power issue and the ship no being able to hold as much power as it used to.

i thought i payed super close attention to it and ive even sent in a few things they've got wrong about it on innerSPACE but wow, either ur really payign close attention, ur really good at catching the details, or theres a 3rd party source involved. but ya thanks lol

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-12-10 21:20   
Googled it:

"Dec 7, 2009 ... SGU sank to a series low 1.34 million viewers for its fall finale on Friday."

I would be surprised if it returns for the second half of the season.

Don't expect it just because you find a scheduled date for it either. I remember there being dates slated to air the last few filmed episodes of "Joey" and those days came and went without Joey.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-10 23:55   
What I don't understand it Atlantis was abandoned 10,000 years ago and the Destiny is 100,000+ years old. Surely the technology on the destiny is not as advanced as that of Atlantis but 90,000 years difference in technology? I don't think so, not unless the ancients all sit on their asses six days a week.

Something that bugged me about SGA, one would believe that not every ancient learned to ascend at the same time, a few learned how and then helped all their buddies. But in one episode they find a whole ship full of ancients in stasis. Could the others just not be bothered to help them out? Just say screw them?

And I have a hard time believing that a group a people with new found super powered wouldn't use them against the enemy that just wiped them out.

According to the story humans evolved on Earth and were enslaved and spread across the galaxy by the Goa'uld, okay, but how did they get to the Pegasus galaxy?

I'll stop now

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-11 09:56   
Quote:

On 2009-12-10 23:55, Sops wrote:
What I don't understand it Atlantis was abandoned 10,000 years ago and the Destiny is 100,000+ years old. Surely the technology on the destiny is not as advanced as that of Atlantis but 90,000 years difference in technology? I don't think so, not unless the ancients all sit on their asses six days a week.

Well simple, the ancients have been around for a long long time, the technology on Destiny is alot alot older no question. Remember the Ark of Truth? the beginning, how long ago it was, that was even before Destiny was launched and they had some good technology. They've obviously been around much longer than you think.
Quote:

Something that bugged me about SGA, one would believe that not every ancient learned to ascend at the same time, a few learned how and then helped all their buddies. But in one episode they find a whole ship full of ancients in stasis. Could the others just not be bothered to help them out? Just say screw them?

And I have a hard time believing that a group a people with new found super powered wouldn't use them against the enemy that just wiped them out.

It's against the laws of ascended beings... It's complicated.
Quote:

According to the story humans evolved on Earth and were enslaved and spread across the galaxy by the Goa'uld, okay, but how did they get to the Pegasus galaxy?

This was explained in the beginning of the series, the ancients seeded pegasus with stargates and life

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.037037 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR