No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » More specific information on systems and weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author More specific information on systems and weapons
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-12-12 22:54   
I really never wanted or needed weapons intel on this game. DarkSpace is a game of 'feel'. You try everything and see how effective it is for you and your combat style. Ranges, accuracy, energy cost, etc are something you have to feel out on your own.

DarkSpace is not Eve. DarkSpace is not a numbers game. No one is pulling out an agincourt because it has 83% energy beam reistance, or anything like that. DarkSpace is a play by feel, play by skill, game. A single player in a cruiser CAN kill and/or run off a dread and a fist full of other cruisers solo if the pilot is awesome.

You want to play a numbers game, carefully considering the fine details of your mod for energy stability and highest DPS, go play eve. There is a whole ship mod screen for doing just that. You wanna take the helm and fly like a man, play DarkSpace. DarkSpace is the FPS of spaceship games.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-13 00:47   
You can't really "feel" the difference between certain weapons though, like psi cannons and plasma, because it doesn't tell you ingame what they do. Numbers aside, it doesn't even say what damage type they are. I can tell you I don't notice much difference between the two other than range and speed of projectile. Damage-wise they seem to do the same.

How about this: AM torps are energy weapons from what I was told. So all that talk days ago about Kluth using torps vs the new ICC shields is rubbish, if it's true.

How is anyone supposed to know that? At the very least it should tell us what damage type our weapons are. I don't care so much about the numbers, but I do care about being able to make the proper decisions on weapon choice vs my intended targets, and I can't do that when I do not know what does what.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-12-13 00:52 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-13 07:10   
Namely because you could then extrapolate hull values... Wouldn't be good. Alternatively, I can give tem qualitative descriptions like "high" and "low." Moreover, anything I do tell you would probably get changed soon... especially the plasma cannons. I don't know how that fiasco took place.

Email Sens [R33]
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-13 09:35   
What fiasco with plasma cannons? My understanding is that they're supposed to be a mix of kinetic and energy damage with no fall off. The energy portion was supposed to help do systems damage, which got nerfed, but the way damage works is broken and instead of it being half kinetic half energy damage (or whatever proportion it's supposed to be) it's considered 100% of both, meaning shields, ablative and reflective armor reduce it's damage as if it's fully kinetic or energy.

Same goes for any weapon with PSI damage. SI were recently changed to do PSI + energy instead of full energy, but since the system is broken it doesn't matter one bit. They're not 20% PSI 80% energy, or 50% 50%, meaning shields and reflective would only reduce part of the damage.

This was according to an interesting chat with Mr. Black the other night as he was spawning fleets of AI (great fun btw!). He said he should work on fixing it.

EDIT: High/medium/low descriptions ingame would be just fine, along with telling us what damage type a weapon is. If and when it get changed, change it ingame too. It's better than what we have now. The descriptions are so vague nobody knows what they do. I've seen plenty of people ask if particle cannons are energy or kinetic, and I don't know what to tell them. Common sense says they're kinetic, but the description makes it seem they're energy. AM torps too. Why would they be pure energy?
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-12-13 09:37 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-13 12:08   
Your information is just a bit off, but part of it's right.

Email Sens [R33]
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-13 15:27   
Quote:

On 2009-12-13 12:08, Sens wrote:
Your information is just a bit off, but part of it's right.

Not surprised I've been told things that turned out to not be true. I even have screenshots of some of it; one of them is responsible for finding the plasma cannon bug: I was told they have no fall off but it turns out they did, which wasn't supposed to be. Plus, this ShipGadgetsBeta.ods is outdated, not by a lot but enough. But it still gives a good general comparison of weapons and armor.

The rest of the stuff, like 50% kinetic and 50% energy for plasma cannons, I'm just guessing at. I know what the intention is but not the values. I know that a weapon that's both kinetic and energy is not supposed to be considered either/or for the purposes of damage reduction from shields and UGTO armors (hope Mr. Black gets to work on that like he said!). I know PSI damage is supposed to not have any counter, but since all PSI weapons are also another damage type it doesn't matter. SI which is now PSI and energy damage is considered 100% energy damage vs shields and reflective, when part of that damage is supposed to be of a type that's not reduced. It's a bug I was told.

AM torps I was told are actually energy damage, but maybe that's not true.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.011002 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR