Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A better idea!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author A better idea!
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-15 02:10   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 01:48, Enterprise wrote:
I always figured if we were to do free form modding like this, it would probably be a nightmare. Balancing something with very little limits is extremely difficult.

And you would have to really drastically alter the game in some cases. You would get stock hulls with badge and rank requirements.

The hulls, would come already outfitted with a certain amount of armor, reactors, shields (if applied) cloak, EW, etc. depending on the hull. The only thing that remains undecided is the weapon loadout.

Higher ranked hulls would have more slots, basically. The slots would be freeform, but be affected by size. So you would have the EAD, and it would have 7 small slots (cannons/lasers), 6 medium slots (missiles/torpedos) and 5 heavy slots (heavy lasers/ core weapons/heavy missiles).

Things like bombs, fighters, mines, etc. would come with specific hulls.

But thats how I always envisioned it, but then, I would be perfectly happy with already balanced and extensive varieties of ships that fit many different kinds of loadouts and roles, and just give me the option of boosting certain aspects of it (more weapon damage for more energy cost, etc.)

-Ent

i understand what your saying, so i propose:

hulls are unlocked by rank and badges.
weapon positions are pre-defined and also have a pre-defined range on witch you can make the firing arc
no more weapon positions? no more guns on your ship
same deal with the rest

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-12-15 03:48   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 00:27, iwanii the top gear Gaifen wrote:

and hey, you have a whole stack of people liking this idea... seriously. listening to the players can work.

1.484 was listening to the players and we saw how well that worked out for us.

I originally wanted a three slider system. You could increase damage, range, energy/ammo. It is was deemed the simple modding and swapping devices was better and quicker for players to get into.

Another idea that was tossed around was a sort of slot and hull shape system like battletech. Devices take up so much space, each hull class gets x number of slots. Then to make each ship and race unique, those slots are arrayed differently.

Something like the Kluth Destroyers would have the majority of their slots up fore, the UGTO dreads being longer and sleaker have more on their two sides...

While all destroyers might have had 40 hull spaces, ICC might have had 10 fore, while Kluth had 25 fore... It went with the shape and size of the model.

Another take on it was that if we created a "shipyard" screen where you could go and look at a blueprint of the ship and place items in like Tetris. So if we made a ship fore hull section look like:

**XX**
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

The each device had a certain geometry, say a CL was 3x1, HCL 4x1, and Torp was 4x2

Then the system limits you to:
6x CL
2x CL, 2x HCL
2xCL, 1x Torp

But all of these ideas were passed over...

Really this game was originally about quick action and play. The modding system was a mistake. Making do all ships was a mistake.

The ships should each be layed out according to their role and be different enought that people will use them and use a variety of ships instead of a fleet of EAD's.

I have been thinking over stuff lately and wonder if we shouldn't remove all ECM/ECCM devices from all ships over destroyer except for the ICC Border cruiser (as that roll fills its spot in the game story line and explains its weaker weapons for a cruiser).

Bring back a need for mutli-class ship fleets.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2009-12-15 03:51 ]

Email Tael
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-12-15 06:03   
Quote:
On 2009-12-15 03:48, Tael wrote:

that would have been 1.483 dear Tael. 484 only existed in Beta.
But i to have heard lots of idea's over the past while it look nice from a gaming experience, it is true that something like that is a darn problem to balance properly or to guarantee that each players has a chance. instead of getting killed by Overspecialized ships made for nothing but fast kills.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-15 07:35   
Quote:

Really this game was originally about quick action and play. The modding system was a mistake. Making do all ships was a mistake.

The ships should each be layed out according to their role and be different enought that people will use them and use a variety of ships instead of a fleet of EAD's.

Thank. You.

Course, the only way you're going to do that is if you make all ships capable of killing one another. A really good destroyer pilot would totally nuke a bad dread pilot, just like it used to be.

Of course, that won't happen. Somewhere it was decided that the only way people will rank up is if the endgame ships are the best at everything. Somewhere we forgot the people ranked up perfectly fine and sure as hell had better player numbers before now when it wasnt that way.

But people can be retarded and can skip over inconvienient truths. Often enough, the imbalances of the previous versions can be entirely attributed to modding and the complete disregard for any kind of fix for obvious imbalances. Instead of fixing the small things, we just did the whole thing over again and again. Didn't work too well.

So let me know when someone realizes that this method of balance just isnt working, Ill always have plenty ideas to fix it.

Quote:

I have been thinking over stuff lately and wonder if we shouldn't remove all ECM/ECCM devices from all ships over destroyer except for the ICC Border cruiser (as that roll fills its spot in the game story line and explains its weaker weapons for a cruiser).

No one's going to fly a lower class ship just for the purpose of sensors. The only real faction affected by them is Kluth, and most people would just prefer to fly a big ship that can do alot of damage as opposed as to making their life difficult and being easy targets.

But the need to bring back multi-class fleets? Going to have to do something about those Dreads. You just can't compete on their level with any other ship. Why fly a lesser ship when they do everything better?

-Ent

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-15 07:38   
Quote:

i really didnt see what was so horribly bad about 484, EVERYONE was overpowered so that in itself balanced things out

but yes, i agree that a select few things were a bad idea in that version but the bigger part of it were pretty balanced all in all.

i mean, exactly how much more damage did the torp missile dread do up close compared to what it does now? not that much i reckon.

the only thing that was properly bad were the flux stacking.

484 made the game interesting, you had to pay attention to who you were jumping because you never knew what you were up against.

i mean, it doesent have to be exactly like in 484, something like IT's and PSI missiles can be changed to torps and AR's and shredder missiles can be changed to cannons/rails/PSI would be enough modding for the missile ships for example, and vice versa ofc. and be able to change core weapons with cruise missiles/whatever the k'luth variant is called.

i dont think anyone actually wants the flux dreads back, we just wanna be able to have a little uncertanity present when the battle starts. right now the only ship that still provide that is the missile dread if he decide to fit sabots. and thats more of a "lol" moment then anything else.

the game needs to live up again, right now its pretty stale and everyone know what all the ships can and can't do so the fights are pretty uninteresting.

yes things may be "balanced" now but GOD its boring. i mean, for the most part you dont have more then the shield and/or armor to mod.

there really need to be something more to liven the game up again.

/edit: it doesent really matter if modding was a bad idea or not, it got implemented and the damage was done. ppl will either keep asking for it, and get it or bail to the first non EvE online game that offers it.

[ This Message was edited by: Jar Jar Binks on 2009-12-15 08:00 ]

Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-12-15 08:02   
Quote:

Quote:

and hey, you have a whole stack of people liking this idea... seriously. listening to the players can work.

I originally wanted a three slider system. You could increase damage, range, energy/ammo. It is was deemed the simple modding and swapping devices was better and quicker for players to get into.

Another idea that was tossed around was a sort of slot and hull shape system like battletech. Devices take up so much space, each hull class gets x number of slots. Then to make each ship and race unique, those slots are arrayed differently.

Something like the Kluth Destroyers would have the majority of their slots up fore, the UGTO dreads being longer and sleaker have more on their two sides...

While all destroyers might have had 40 hull spaces, ICC might have had 10 fore, while Kluth had 25 fore... It went with the shape and size of the model.

Another take on it was that if we created a "shipyard" screen where you could go and look at a blueprint of the ship and place items in like Tetris. So if we made a ship fore hull section look like:

**XX**
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

The each device had a certain geometry, say a CL was 3x1, HCL 4x1, and Torp was 4x2

6x CL
2x CL, 2x HCL
2xCL, 1x Torp

I do like your configuration ideas Tael. I do miss modding my ships, many K'luth vets will agree the PSI cannon Scale/Claw is solely missed.

Hope modding makes a return sometime soon.

[ This Message was edited by: Pegasus on 2009-12-15 08:02 ]

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-15 14:14   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 08:02, Pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

**XX**
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

6x CL
2x CL, 2x HCL
2xCL, 1x Torp

I do like your configuration ideas Tael. I do miss modding my ships, many K'luth vets will agree the PSI cannon Scale/Claw is solely missed.

Hope modding makes a return sometime soon.

[ This Message was edited by: Pegasus on 2009-12-15 08:02 ]

@ pegasus: i know. i could realy do with a PSI scale for AI farming....
and like what jar jar said, modding was fun. 1/2 the time you had no clue what they had

@Tael: with the slots in certain places and weapon type limitations, thats what my previous post was getting at.

ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-15 14:37   
Yah i say bring back modding hell even in the tetris stack way.. (cool idea, reminds me of some other games) and have 2 or 3 days of the week just stat gathering/testing... i am sure with a change in the system people will come back and help test along with the people who are currently here now.

so monday wednesday friday testing days, we all just get into the server, test stuff out, you guys gather data...

2nd thing is not take a month to implement a change. something is completely overpowered and everyone is taking advantage of it just for the kills, then lock it out till its changed.... (or even better yet, stats (prestige) dont matter nor kills nor rank or dont exist entirely.. anyone can fly any ship or whatever ship is being tested that week.

also because there is soooo little change right now, people dont even go to the beta testing server. put something like modding back in, in some way or another and i bet everyone will live there for a while.

[ This Message was edited by: ssj4megaman on 2009-12-15 14:40 ]

Email ssj4megaman
Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2009-12-15 14:46   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 07:35, Enterprise wrote:

No one's going to fly a lower class ship just for the purpose of sensors. The only real faction affected by them is Kluth, and most people would just prefer to fly a big ship that can do alot of damage as opposed as to making their life difficult and being easy targets.

But the need to bring back multi-class fleets? Going to have to do something about those Dreads. You just can't compete on their level with any other ship. Why fly a lesser ship when they do everything better?

-Ent

As a Kluth, I would have to say when it comes to ships I like fighting, I'd always say Dreads or stations. While I can do a substantial amount of damage to anything smaller, the Cruisers can cause me more headaches than anything. With thier size, speed and suited firepower, a good team should be able to run circles around Kluth Dreads.

Think about it thisway: Kluth Dreads are nimble comparabley, and have a relatively short range unless you add in SI's and the occassional missle or Psi Cannon. So inorder to counter this, you don't use something slow with long range because the kluth will fire, cloak, move, decloak, fire, cloak ect ect. But if there were cruisers who could point jump together.... that would be a nightmare even for a well versed pilot. Little ECCM, little concentrated firepower.. reciepe for success!

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-12-15 16:29   
When working on the current incarnation of DarkSpace, I was more or less left on my own for a year and a half. I was working on integrating the features and design concepts from several different versions into one workable whole. I had to reverse engineer layout rules based on the 1.483 incarnation of the game, and come up with some kind of sensible way to at least balance the ships on paper.

The rules as they stand are limited, and only really relate to the total number of gadgets a ship can carry. Arc's are only decided when it comes to implementing that particular design, and are based on both the visual look and placement, as well as the intended feel for a particular layout. Many ships will have similar weapon positions, but none of these have ever been enshrined as law or set in stone from a design view.

This actually allows us an additional degree of flexibility and control when it comes to balancing various layouts. However, due to the aggregated nature of the development to date, these same hulls do not lend themselves to player customization. For this to happen, ALL ship models would need to be redesigned with those rules in mind.

Additionally, Faustus has made it clear on several occasions that he is in favor of very tight modding restrictions, which is what has led to this current incarnation. The development team has had to fight quite hard to retain just what we have now. I can understand why more restricted modding would be desired, as it ultimately gives us, the developers, much greater control over just what each player can do.

Instead, we have to look at other ways to introduce the feel of variety into DarkSpace. Part of this is with enhancements. Another part will be with weapon variations which are only available at limited locations. These variant will not be better or worse than existing weapons. Instead, they will be intended for use in different circumstances.

However, we have a few other challenges to deal with first before we can even consider looking at these proposals more seriously.

Goto the website of Drafell
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-15 19:04   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 14:46, Hell Bender wrote:

As a Kluth, I would have to say when it comes to ships I like fighting, I'd always say Dreads or stations. While I can do a substantial amount of damage to anything smaller, the Cruisers can cause me more headaches than anything. With thier size, speed and suited firepower, a good team should be able to run circles around Kluth Dreads.

Think about it thisway: Kluth Dreads are nimble comparabley, and have a relatively short range unless you add in SI's and the occassional missle or Psi Cannon. So inorder to counter this, you don't use something slow with long range because the kluth will fire, cloak, move, decloak, fire, cloak ect ect. But if there were cruisers who could point jump together.... that would be a nightmare even for a well versed pilot. Little ECCM, little concentrated firepower.. reciepe for success!

Its too bad that people realize that being in a group of dreadnaughts vs. another group of dreadnaughts affords alot more survivability, otherwise you might actually have a point.

Simply because, even without sensor help, a number of human dreadnaughts faced with Kluth dreadnaughts will still tear them apart faster than if they were in cruisers instead.

-Ent

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-15 19:54   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 16:29, DrafElf wrote:
When working on the current incarnation of DarkSpace, I was more or less left on my own for a year and a half. I was working on integrating the features and design concepts from several different versions into one workable whole. I had to reverse engineer layout rules based on the 1.483 incarnation of the game, and come up with some kind of sensible way to at least balance the ships on paper.

The rules as they stand are limited, and only really relate to the total number of gadgets a ship can carry. Arc's are only decided when it comes to implementing that particular design, and are based on both the visual look and placement, as well as the intended feel for a particular layout. Many ships will have similar weapon positions, but none of these have ever been enshrined as law or set in stone from a design view.

This actually allows us an additional degree of flexibility and control when it comes to balancing various layouts. However, due to the aggregated nature of the development to date, these same hulls do not lend themselves to player customization. For this to happen, ALL ship models would need to be redesigned with those rules in mind.

Additionally, Faustus has made it clear on several occasions that he is in favor of very tight modding restrictions, which is what has led to this current incarnation. The development team has had to fight quite hard to retain just what we have now. I can understand why more restricted modding would be desired, as it ultimately gives us, the developers, much greater control over just what each player can do.

Instead, we have to look at other ways to introduce the feel of variety into DarkSpace. Part of this is with enhancements. Another part will be with weapon variations which are only available at limited locations. These variant will not be better or worse than existing weapons. Instead, they will be intended for use in different circumstances.

However, we have a few other challenges to deal with first before we can even consider looking at these proposals more seriously.

maybe faustus will taste more success if he loosens up those restrictions...
like, look at EVE. immensively popular. partly why? you can mod. ships get their own bonusses, and its all cool.

your saying something about weapon modifications? dont make it simple. make it so complex it takes a few weeks to fine a good combination of sizes of all the specific parts and amounts of power to feed and electric circuits and stuff.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2009-12-15 20:41   
There can be only one!!

lol at least im a fatal dark elf

(edit) ( sorry i read your name wrong lol.. i could just remove this all together.... but have a funny on me lol )
[ This Message was edited by: FaTaL Dark Elf on 2009-12-15 20:44 ]

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-16 00:31   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 16:29, DrafElf wrote:

think thats the problem most games face. they rely to much on calculations done "on paper".

what needs to be done is to take few (nothing major obv) changes at the time and actually get them to live to be tested, because there isnt a beta server in the world that can compete with a live server for good info.

yes it probably means abit more work but it also means that the changes gets properly tested. i've been on the beta server a few times recently but i can't see a point in it as theres never anyone else there to test things with.

so even if you have a patch on test for a year it wont get the same testing as it would on live in a matter of days.

now this doesent mean that beta server is useless, its still needed for stability tests on major code changes and the likes. but lets say armor resistance changes or weapon damage changes could just as well be put on live directly for testing. if you do that you will get instant feedback

this is probably the only good thing SOE does with planetside, they test minor changes on the live server, leaving the really big changes to beta.

so maybe this is actually something worth concidering?

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-16 00:41   
Quote:

On 2009-12-15 14:46, Hell Bender wrote:

thats not really working, k'luth deals so much damage that your more or less forced to use big ships that can deal with it and dich out enough themself.

anything cruiser or below is to weak to deal any significant damage, even a group of them cant do that unless you bring 3 - 4 sensor scouts/frigs with you.

but then you dont have enough combat pilots...

your strategy actually needs quite alot of ppl, we dont have that in this game

and even if we did, its still boils down to who's got most firepower in terms of who will win. so again, bringing sensor ships just robs that side of combat pilots.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025616 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR