No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Garage/Enhancement Wipe... Poll?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Garage/Enhancement Wipe... Poll?
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-14 05:17   
I am not going on a rumor. I am going on what I have personally been told.

Whether or not it's "still being discussed" is another issue.

Another thing. It's not the issue of enhancements. Its not the issue of modding. Its not the issue of a small mv map that can be capped in 3 hours. Its not the issue of undecisiveness in regards to the ai. It's not the issue of ship balance. It's not the issue of the servers being spread out all over tarnation.

It's ALL of that.

We never seem to arrive at any settled version. The devs start something, half ass implement it, then without finishing one aspect go off in a completely different direction, leaving us with a half assed game.

How many aspects of this game are "half- finished"?

Are we going to have AI or not? If you are taking them out down the road, then why are they in now?

What the hell IS the purpose of enhancements, if not to offer some kind of customization to the game?

What about moding? Is what we have all we are going to get?

I keep hearing about 7 years of DS. We didnt this for seven years. We didnt that for seven years.

And yet that was a completely different time, gaming era, and circumstance.

There is no clear direction for where the game is or where it is heading. At least not one clear to the players.

What I do see is that everytime somebody finds some aspect of the game fun in some new way never experienced by a sour ass veteran, you can expect to see a nerf bat being swung right at it. I keep seeing this over and over and over.

There is no stability to the game. Personally, for me, I have to have some kind of stability. I see it like this:

I was given a game. I figured out where to go to improve my ships, to get a little better advantage. I saw other ships running around enhanced out the wazzu. So I went and spent some time every day working on improving my ships. I was so thrilled when I got my "last" multi to shove onto my Krill. I found it didnt "uberize" my ship, but just gave me ship more suited to my playstyle. I didnt find I was able to rule the universe, just survive a little better in it.
I liked being able to fight ai when there wasnt really anyone on. I liked being able to have a choice between AI-based servers, scenario or MV. I liked being able to go into Procyon with Wolf and try out wolfpack tactics against omgwtfpwnzrgodroflcopter odds.
This was where the game was when I came back a year ago THIS WEEK.

Since I've come back, virtually every aspect of that has been or soon will be completely made over.

And there is no clear explanation of any direction at all. So I am looking at losing what I worked for. Seeing parts of the game removed that I thooughly enjoyed. And I am not being told anything that makes any coherant sense about what I should expect to come down the line.

I'm just explaining my own point of view because I do not think staff realize it. I do not think some of the other players realize that.

But I see it. I've dealt with it longer than I would from any other game. So I guess for me, that's why this all becomes a really "big deal".

So flame me all u want. Do your stupid, petty, unintelligable QQs. It still doesnt change anything for me.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-14 08:33   
If a garage or enhancement wipe is required to balance the game due to development changes, then that is what will happen - regardless of what players say.

Yes, you may have spent time farming for enhancements, you gained those enhancements and got to use them, did you not? You've gained from the benefit of them, so it wasn't a 'waste of time'.

However, that's not to say that it will happen. Talk is talk, and I'm merely making a point as to the development process.

If we made drastic changes to ships, and somehow an overpowered combination of things got into the game, and then we fixed it - you'd all want those overpowered ships removed from the game in the aid of balance.

- J

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2009-12-14 08:35 ]

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-12-14 09:10   
I believe Azreal's last post followed by Jack's post is a pretty good summary here.

Enhancements were "not finished", in more polite terms, and now they're being fixed. To not do this- IF it has to be done- would be to leave them "not finished". You want conclusive development, and yet you are protesting the idea of it in action.

\"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.\" - W.O.P.R.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-14 10:04   
Quote:

On 2009-12-14 09:10, Sardaukar wrote:
I believe Azreal's last post followed by Jack's post is a pretty good summary here.

Enhancements were "not finished", in more polite terms, and now they're being fixed. To not do this- IF it has to be done- would be to leave them "not finished". You want conclusive development, and yet you are protesting the idea of it in action.

Quote:

On 2009-12-14 05:17, Azreal wrote:

There is no clear direction for where the game is or where it is heading. At least not one clear to the players.

And there is no clear explanation of any direction at all. So I am looking at losing what I worked for. Seeing parts of the game removed that I thoroughly enjoyed. And I am not being told anything that makes any coherant sense about what I should expect to come down the line.

THAT is my biggest beef, and its not being addressed. If you have to take them out or rework them, then why aren't we being told how?

Why are the elites removed without anyone knowing?

Why were they removed without tweaking the game so players drop to make up for it?

Ok. So they need to be "finished". What are we even looking at here?

All the vagueness is what makes rumors possible.

I'm not really worried about it either way, tbh, anymore. If you do, you do. If what we are getting in return isn't clearly stated, or if it is just arbitrarily done without notice the way other things have been done recently, then I'll just deal with that as well. One way or another.

I'm just done arguing the entire matter of the direction of the game and everything else in general. It is what it is. Whatever the hell that is.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-14 10:05   
I know exactly what Azreal and Backslash are saying, and I agree with Pegasus in that I'd prefer they were removed too (but remember that's just my opinion, and opinions differ).

Azreal laments the lack of direction in this game. I agree. It's been around for 8 years and really has no vision for the future. The different versions of this game have been really different, and subsequent ones haven't seemed to build on previous ones but instead wiped them out and started over.

That's not always a bad thing. But when that's the trend over 8 years, it's like progress is never really made, you know?

What I propose is this: use 1.5 as the model for future versions, but don't just wipe it out. If modding starts being worked on (and you'd get cheers from the entire community if you announced it!) use 1.5 as it's base instead of developing a whole new version. Faction AI may be temporary, but I think some of them are actually fun to have around. Not the AI transports though. MI or Pirates shouldn't be removed either but I don't think anyone ever intended to remove them, just faction AI.

Backslash also made the ever-important point that if it's best for the game then it's gonna happen. That's why I'm not against a garage wipe even though I'd prefer other solutions, like increasing drop rates from players significantly (significantly as in not a 1% increase).

My vote, knowing enhancements will not be removed from the game, is increased drop rates from players. I have a feeling most players would vote the same over a garage wipe and complete removal.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2009-12-14 11:33   
Let me set the record straight on this...

THERE WILL NEVER BE A GARAGE WIPE!

So ignore any rumors you've heard, they are just rumors...

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-12-14 11:59   
There you have it.

End of discussion.

Neither garages or enhancements will be wiped. If we need to change something, we can change the enhancements directly, without removing them from your ships.

Topic closed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.011075 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR