No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » cockpit view
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author cockpit view
munda13
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-30 08:47   
i was thinken if there was some way desiners could make a cokpit veiw fore all ships.it could allow the player to look around and veiw the certian features of that sertain ship.like futuerristick tuch screen control panels,or bizzar control panels fore the luth scum.

i think and know it would really submerge the player into the game making them feel like there really in that sertain chip in the commanders chair

pleas tell me what you think about this idea if its possible or not

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-30 09:28   
Great idea.

Now to find the several hundred programmers, designers, artists, etc to do it.

On a more serious note. I'm sure we'd all love this, but it's a matter of time and scale. This would be a gigantic undertaking and require far too much time to impliment in a fashion we'd be happy with. Plus there are more important features to introduce before we start working on aesthetics.

- J

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-30 09:41   
you already can look around. all a cockpick view would do would be to constrain you to a first-person pov. next time you're in-game, try pressing the Tab key a couple times to set the camera to Follow mode, that'll lock it in to a front-facing view. next zoom in all the way. then go find some combat and think about just how much stuff is/can be going on around your ships. and i do mean around.

cockpit views have been suggested before, but they really dont suit darkspace's gameplay.

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-30 17:27   
Quote:

On 2009-12-30 09:41, Mersenne Twister wrote:

cockpit views have been suggested before, but they really dont suit darkspace's gameplay.

it could with a decent radar image. and it doesent have to be a first person static view either. you should still be able to look around.

and a simple keypress would work for a toggle back to the normal view.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-30 17:40   
Quote:

On 2009-12-30 17:27, Jar Jar Binks wrote:

If that were the case I image people would spend most of their time in 3rd person view, all the effort to make a cockpit would kind of gone to waste.

munda13
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-31 08:28   
oh ok no prob thanks............

nevr thought of it that way hmm. i makes sense

Storm514
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-31 22:31   
Wait a second, I have an idea on how this game might be able to grow farther.... Ofcourse, it might take a bit of work, but with just as large of a pay-off!

Why not create some modding tools for the game? Make the code open source. This way for the non-unbalancing ideas, such as a cockpit view, the 'local' madders could give a swing at it?

(And yes, I realise this is quite off topic)

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-02 19:32   
Quote:

On 2009-12-30 17:40, Sops wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-12-30 17:27, Jar Jar Binks wrote:

If that were the case I image people would spend most of their time in 3rd person view, all the effort to make a cockpit would kind of gone to waste.

maybe, would still be cool to have tho.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-02 19:33   
Quote:

On 2009-12-31 22:31, Storm514 wrote:
Wait a second, I have an idea on how this game might be able to grow farther.... Ofcourse, it might take a bit of work, but with just as large of a pay-off!

Why not create some modding tools for the game? Make the code open source. This way for the non-unbalancing ideas, such as a cockpit view, the 'local' madders could give a swing at it?

the code IS open source... you can download it on the palestar homepage.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-01-02 20:06   
just the engine's code. neither darkspace-specific code or darkspace assets are included.

-Baron Von Virtu
Cadet

Posted: 2010-01-03 00:19   
Quote:

On 2009-12-31 22:31, Storm514 wrote:

And how would this work? What good would further splintering up an already small community into playing different "mods" of Darkspace do? Are you going to run your own private Darkspace lobby and servers to serve your flavor of mod?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\r\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n
Site Director - The Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-01-03 04:16   
We've already tried doing a splinter lobby and game with DS Asia and it failed utterly.

As for a cockpit view, its not really something that meshes well with the current game concept. The idea is you have sensors that detect 360.

In first person/cockpit mode you would not be able to see where certain attacks came from, or be able to avoid them before they hit you.

Having the external ship view actually increases your ability to avoid certain attacks and determine where attacks are coming from. A first person view would be counter to the game concept.

Email Tael
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-01-03 08:13   
idem dito.

Your not a pilot, your a darn officer.
You need to have a entire ship overview of all its systems, weapon systems, friendly's, enemy's, tactical planning and strategy.
You can't really do that from a cockpit, you are the captain or the commanding officer of a ship or fleet.
You are siting comfortable in the CIC of your vessel, you got your UBP connected to the ships AI, you close your eyes and the AI draws from all the info it has for you a mental image of your ship, its systems and its surroundings.

DarkSpace, this is what you mentally would see if you where sitting in that command chair.

Cockpit view? heck why put something like a window in front of such a vital operational part of the ship? Even some of the fighters don't have em.

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-03 10:35   
Quote:

On 2010-01-03 08:13, Eledore Massis =ADM= wrote:
? heck why put something like a window in front of such a vital operational part of the ship?

yeah thats just asking for an A-wing to come fly through it and....

[ This Message was edited by: Mersenne Twister on 2010-01-03 10:46 ]

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

munda13
Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-03 14:25   
oooh waut a min......you guy are thinkin that there shoutd actualy be full brige featuer and view thats not what im sayin i kindafiguer that out before i put in the request.what im sayin is that there are no ubstrucktions the camera would be wee the brige is except there are no ubstrucktions you can move the camerea around in a 360 direction and you will be able to see the ships body below you as if the brige was above the ship like the icc have it or the luths.

you guys get ehat im sayin now there deosint have to be like 20 massive windows you have to look out ov with all sorts of control panels and poeple walking arround the deck
just a simple vew were the camera swiches to the veiw were the brige should be but there are no ustruck tions

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026189 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR