No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Planets should not be lockable past Grand Admiral!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Planets should not be lockable past Grand Admiral!!
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-01-10 18:53   
yes the Trident is shiny. But in no way can you consider that comparable to the DarkSpace balance.

Shall we just stick on topic, or do we need to create a new one to discuss the love for our DarkSpace dreams?

Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-10 19:26   
you make a point.... back to the topic at hand...

It can be very frustrateing not being able to access a planet locked at marshal or Chief marshal and repair it after or during a bomber raid and we end up looseing that planet... this is kind of a big thing to ask due to there are more pressing issues with the game that the devs need to work on.
Would adding an override feature help??
Just something to discuss. Such as 2 Grand Admirals clicking the unlock button, unlock that planet to there current rank?
So that the planet maybe available to them or anyone of that rank.

it could be usefull or it could be bad any ideas?

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-01-10 21:36   
I like the idea of an override from collective requests to unlock. Do something with that.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-11 00:55   
I have always found that far more damage to planets has been done by people with no idea what they're doing as opposed to saboteurs.

I'd personally prefer that a locked planet means that in order to modify the planet below that rank means you need Gold Engineering or something. At least that people with 1000 points of said competence can reasonably be expected to modify a planet with some ability.

-Ent

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-11 02:10   
i believe that engy rank locking is the way to go. a captain might know completely how to make a good planet, yet a GA might have no clue.

on the other hand, locking a planet at Gold engineering sounds fair. then only people who are somewhat experienced at building can fix the planet.
i also think that planet-building training should be required to be done by the rules. show people how to do things.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-11 02:35   
Quote:

On 2010-01-11 02:10, iwanii *ojama blue* wrote:

i also think that planet-building training should be required to be done by the rules. show people how to do things.

See Chapter: Tutorial, Sub section, never gonna happen.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-01-11 10:00   
Quote:

On 2010-01-11 02:10, iwanii *ojama blue* wrote:

Absolutely not. This is a GAME. One of the most fun parts of a game, especiallly a new game (new to the new player), is trying things and figuring things out. It is all about that "Oh, that's neat!" feeling you get when you are pressing all the buttons and piecing it all together.

Forcing 'training' upon all new players makes this a JOB and NOT FUN. You cannot force a player to learn to play the game like a pro. The fun in a game is learning to be awesome on your own.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-11 17:17   
you learn how to build planets in scenario, not the MV. If you want to test a new idea for building, you test it over a few scenarios. No more are the extra planets in the MV to test a new idea on, every planet is precious losing just 1 is a major set back and a foothold for the enemy. If the systems in sag had more planets and a few more systems all together then it wouldn't matter too much......wait we have been down this road. Devs won't listen so its gonna be repeated over again and again, put more planets BACK into the MV. A small MV gives no breathing room for capping sprees, and the player base isn't big enough to always have someone on in EVERY server.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
AmbasadorThron (Bringer of Hope)
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-11 22:11   
if you are gona have the conditions changed so that a building badge allows you to lock a planet then make it a set of badges:
platinum engineer.... platinum transport.... and defence metal badge ...
i think with these stats any player with them is a worthy builder

i agree that learning to build is something that should be done in the scenario server not the MV

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-12 00:11   
Quote:

On 2010-01-09 11:49, Azreal wrote:

Because of how many low level players who dont have the concept of what to put where and why, I am all for locking them up.

My attitude would be different if the newer players were teachable, but they have a know-it-all attitude when you try to help them. When I get that, I lock the rock.

That's not harsh, that's common sense.

but how COULD they be teachable when 99% of the vets automatically think they are saboteurs or just farm build pres and act accordingly?

most of the new players DO want to learn. but as almost no planets are buildable/repairable because some nub GA locks them they cant learn.

i've seen new players on all sides ask how it work and if theres a planet they can practice on and basically get ignored or told by some vet that "i'l fix it later, grab a suppy or scout insted".

i mean, sure they will probably screw up a couple of planets and those planets might be lost because of it. but how the heck did you vets learn? by doing EXACTLY what the new players now do.

so you know how to build a planet now, good for you. how about letting the new players do that aswell?

and seriously, how much less planets would any faction lose if the planets were unlocked compared to now when whole systems change hands in a matter of hours... and sometimes several times a day.

locking the planet wont make you keep it. but it will guaranteed make you lose it when theres only low rank players around that cant fix it when a plauge or similar starts.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-01-12 06:09   
ok ok herese the deal

post a note...er.... wait till FTL is back icc couse ima complete noob at kluth

but yea when we get back icc get in touch with me if you want to learn how to build.

we will get together and go raze aplanet just for you to build.

there are plenty of planets to practice on we just have to wipe the board clean first.

"or if your completly fed up i may tempo leave my fleet for a few hours to show ya.

again im only ICC... ive never played kluth our ugto befor now.. so if your one of those.. then your gonna have to get with someone else"
[ This Message was edited by: Fast Defiance*XO* on 2010-01-12 06:11 ]

Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-01-12 22:32   
I found that this topic an interesting read on many levels. I am one of those noobs that have no clue what they are doing and trying to figure out where I fit in.

That being said locking a planet for the sake of it not getting jacked up is something that will prevent me (new player 120201) from getting a feel for the game and learning to excel. I concede that the MV is probably not the place to experiment but for me (Newbie Area) is the only place I've been to try the game out.

Locking planets is a needed concept to create strongholds in which to establish dominance. But with the influx of new players (like me) maybe a scenario would be better to hone our latent skills.

As a side note I am not, or ever want to be, a know-it-all noob and will accept and cherish any peer coaching/mentoring that is available to me.

Cheers,
Budda

James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-13 01:49   
Quote:

On 2010-01-11 22:11, AdmiralThron wrote:
if you are gona have the conditions changed so that a building badge allows you to lock a planet then make it a set of badges:
platinum engineer.... platinum transport.... and defence metal badge ...
i think with these stats any player with them is a worthy builder

That's same as locking it above GA.

but I do agree with the idea of locking it at or below your own rank, allowing a, let's say GA, to lock it at ensign. This would A) prevent the AI's from building on a planet, and B) allow new players to test and expirament on the planet as they wish, thus introducing a learning exp. into the game.
[ This Message was edited by: James296 on 2010-01-16 04:34 ]

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-01-13 12:29   
Quote:

On 2010-01-12 00:11, Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-09 11:49, Azreal wrote:

Because of how many low level players who dont have the concept of what to put where and why, I am all for locking them up.

My attitude would be different if the newer players were teachable, but they have a know-it-all attitude when you try to help them. When I get that, I lock the rock.

That's not harsh, that's common sense.

but how COULD they be teachable when 99% of the vets automatically think they are saboteurs or just farm build pres and act accordingly?

most of the new players DO want to learn. but as almost no planets are buildable/repairable because some nub GA locks them they cant learn.

i've seen new players on all sides ask how it work and if theres a planet they can practice on and basically get ignored or told by some vet that "i'l fix it later, grab a suppy or scout insted".

i mean, sure they will probably screw up a couple of planets and those planets might be lost because of it. but how the heck did you vets learn? by doing EXACTLY what the new players now do.

so you know how to build a planet now, good for you. how about letting the new players do that aswell?

and seriously, how much less planets would any faction lose if the planets were unlocked compared to now when whole systems change hands in a matter of hours... and sometimes several times a day.

locking the planet wont make you keep it. but it will guaranteed make you lose it when theres only low rank players around that cant fix it when a plauge or similar starts.

as stated before by other players ....

.... lean to build in the scenarion server....

also, in the MV if someone says they need a supply and can afford to say that a planet can be built later... then get a supply and earn some supply pres while helping your faction with what is needed at the moment....

belive me if it was thought that building a planet was needed then they wouldnt ask for support...

this is where players need to think collectively and as a team, not a solo player who just wants to do what they want without regard to the factions needs or actions...

The MV is a place where players need to maintain their hold and check thier planets for conditions that require fixing ....

constant and random log-ins to fly thru the various systems and scout what the enemy is doing or to see if they are even in the game at the moment...

The scenarion server is always resetting a new game is always starting with new tasks to do and that is where you need to learn to build among other things.....

if you feel lucky capture a planet in RR and build there too or even Proc system..... but in the Sag server (the central server of the game) dont practice your building skills

and I agree with having the lock ability removed from rank and made lockable by badges:
platinum engie and Defense Metal Badge should be enough to trust that a builder has skill enough to build where needed..

also I give advice on building planets in sag if anyone asks me in game
i can suggest what to build, when to build it, and where to build it,
and to add I also inform the player who i am instructing to build, that i do the scrapping for the inqusitive builder when needed so that they dont lose pres..

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-01 06:40   
Quote:

On 2010-01-10 21:36, Kanman [R33] wrote:
I like the idea of an override from collective requests to unlock. Do something with that.

What about an overide button that works if the planet has any shortages?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.209826 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR