Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Dev Meeting Briefs: Feb 7, 2010
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Dev Meeting Briefs: Feb 7, 2010
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-07 17:40   
just what was up for discussion, items may or may not get included/modified/implemented for future releases

1. Enhancements

• more enhancement types
    • secret plan involving players and elite ai
    • elite ai that actually have their enhancements equipped
    • functionality bug fixes

2. PvP vs PvE

• Faustus: "room enough for both"
    • also keeping pvp and pve co-mingled on server
    • less regular ai, more elites
    • ai difficulty scaling per server

3. Missiles and Fighters

• massive CPU overhead
    • diceroll system (D&D), precalucated hit/miss and draw relevant effect = 10% of current costs and largely fix desync in that area
    • change all missile bays to full arc slots
    • less missiles per ship
    • faster more powerful missiles

4. Ship Layouts and Class Balance

• we're working on it.
    • extra server logging to track kills by class for statistics collection

5. User Customization Options

• planet specific bonuses to allow gadget swapping when controlled (ie: planet A allows you to swap weapons, planet B allows drives..)

6. Resources

• making sure ships cost resources to spawn
    • damaged ships require proportional fraction of cost to spawn
    • re-evaluating rare resource types

7. Other General Items

• video resolution option to default to windowed
    • mv appearing as single server
    • tutorial script for new players
    • mission system - still gonna be 2 Weeks™, maverick is really, really busy with other projects
    • sagittarius gets fat back
    • devices more resistant to getting dama-- obliterated when taking hull damage

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Not validated

Posted: 2010-02-07 17:51   
i LOVE where this is going

good steps great ideas. way to play ball guys.

pats on the backs for everyone

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-07 19:24   
nice

-Seeker

Email -Shadowalker-™
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-07 21:35   
Quote:

[*]making sure ships cost resources to spawn

Just make sure this doesn't apply to scenario.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-07 21:45   
number 6 bullet points 1 and 2.

Not a good idea unless every faction has a tarren planet (or 3) to work with. Also making ships take the res from the planet to spawn the ship is gonna make some people really POed. When they mined all the res to spawn a ship and some noob spawns a new one thus taking 2hrs of work away. If this is implemented planets would need to mine MUCH faster by default (make the hub mine vary fast) and increase res caps OR reduce res cost for ships. One of those + the mining boost would fix the issue that implementing this would cause. Also making broken ships take res will also cause issues. They would be solved with the previous sentence of course

Also on res, making planets have X device would cause some issues with current MV size. If this gets implemented at the same time as the MV becomes 1 server again then I see no issue.

Other then that I like the rest of em

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-07 21:53   
Most of the thoughts batted around in your Dev meeting are good ones and on a positive track in my opinion.

I honestly think that maybe balance is becoming too much in the game. I know that there needs to be some balance but too much balance makes life boring.

Example:
Quote:

1. Ship Layouts and Class Balance

• we're working on it.
    • extra server logging to track kills by class for statistics collection

Balance to factions (equivalent number of strengths over weaknesses) is needed but when you try to make ships equal is counterproductive (again my opinion only). Looking at the factions as they are documented I would expect ICC to be able to take a beating, UTGO to dole out punishment, and K'Luth to be sneaky. When you balance out the ships these descriptions become useless. When I look at the game from the player perspective I expect to see:

1. ICC

• Strong resistance to damage due to shield over armor over hull
    • Weaker weapons since the ships use more power to power shields

2. UTGO

• Strong damage delivery because of their offensive stratagem
    • Weaker defense due to focus on firepower over safety

3. K'Luth

• Strong stealth because of cloaking device leading them to be undetectable until they are on top of the enemy
    • Weaker offence and defense because of their focus on infiltration and point blank damage delivery

When too much balance is introduced it simply becomes everyone in the same ship with different paint and to me that is boring.

[ This Message was edited by: FTL great budda on 2010-02-07 21:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: FTL great budda on 2010-02-07 21:54 ]

Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-07 22:07   
Quote:

On 2010-02-07 21:45, Fast Starcommander*CO* wrote:

Not a good idea unless every faction has a tarren planet (or 3) to work with. Also making ships take the res from the planet to spawn the ship is gonna make some people really POed. When they mined all the res to spawn a ship and some noob spawns a new one thus taking 2hrs of work away.

I kind of see this in a different light. In my humble unimportant opinion this is something that would be of greater value than ship balancing. Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from but picture this:

ICC is planning a raid on a key planet with UTGO opposition. With a limited resource availability ICC decides to deploy cruisers and less where UTGO (similar resource state) decides to deploy a Dread with the remaining being destroyers or less.

This mix would provide balance which could tip either way depending on fleet performance as a team and not just stations/dreads everywhere you look in the MV.

I really think that if implemented correctly this could really encourage tactical thinking in attack/defense group ship selection more than now which is the station/dread mentality.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-07 22:27   
Quote:

On 2010-02-07 22:07, FTL great budda wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-07 21:45, Fast Starcommander*CO* wrote:

Not a good idea unless every faction has a tarren planet (or 3) to work with. Also making ships take the res from the planet to spawn the ship is gonna make some people really POed. When they mined all the res to spawn a ship and some noob spawns a new one thus taking 2hrs of work away.

I kind of see this in a different light. In my humble unimportant opinion this is something that would be of greater value than ship balancing. Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from but picture this:

ICC is planning a raid on a key planet with UTGO opposition. With a limited resource availability ICC decides to deploy cruisers and less where UTGO (similar resource state) decides to deploy a Dread with the remaining being destroyers or less.

This mix would provide balance which could tip either way depending on fleet performance as a team and not just stations/dreads everywhere you look in the MV.

I really think that if implemented correctly this could really encourage tactical thinking in attack/defense group ship selection more than now which is the station/dread mentality.

So punish those who can fly dreads? Thats more or less what this idea is sounding like. Just because the people that are subbed can fly dreads doesn't mean they should be punished for doing so. So if there are limited resources and we can't deploy dreads, then whats the point of having them in the first pace? From what it sounds like its the cost is just once for initial creation after that they won't cost anything. If they cost every time you spawn then my statement stands with the mining increase and res increase or res reduction cost on ships. If there idea is implemented then we will need the WH cruiser back as well, since we will be limited to where we can spawn again and the WH cruiser allowed you to move about a little more quickly. Also WH would been to be back to there old selves again, maybe a little inaccurate (a 10-200gu radius from target point) and there old ranges back.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

Email Starcommander
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-07 23:40   
Overanalyzing a bullet point that is a summation of lots of thought being given to that subject.

Please, Please, stop doing that.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-08 00:28   
Quote:

On 2010-02-07 23:40, Fattierob wrote:
Overanalyzing a bullet point that is a summation of lots of thought being given to that subject.

Please, Please, stop doing that.

All I have done is just say what MIGHT happen IF it was put in, I know you guys are still thinking about it so I gave my qualms about it BEFORE it is put in. Kthx

Email Starcommander
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-08 00:56   
After a long time we again getting Dev Meeting Briefs ... It is an important move tho since we arent invited to any dev meeting anymore.. We should thank to dev for sharing future development tips,not trolling it on the same topic.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-02-08 02:50   
well....my biggest peeve at the moment is UGTO armor regen.Its freaking non-organic armor.How is it supposed to regen?The main issue with it is simply put,They (UGTO) dont need a supply with em anymore...get damaged ...jump out...wait for regen...attack again. OMG WAIT...Thats the K'luth...no..UGTO...no...K'luth...etc etc etc.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-08 03:12   
Quote:

On 2010-02-08 00:56, Pakhos wrote:
After a long time we again getting Dev Meeting Briefs ... It is an important move tho since we arent invited to any dev meeting anymore.. We should thank to dev for sharing future development tips,not trolling it on the same topic.

My bad.... I forgot to say Thank You and let the Dev team know I do appreciate their information and work.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-02-08 05:19   
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 02:50, Fatal Command*CO* wrote:
well....my biggest peeve at the moment is UGTO armor regen.Its freaking non-organic armor.How is it supposed to regen?The main issue with it is simply put,They (UGTO) dont need a supply with em anymore...get damaged ...jump out...wait for regen...attack again. OMG WAIT...Thats the K'luth...no..UGTO...no...K'luth...etc etc etc.

UGTO has the most knowlage of ARMOR, and since mankind uses nanites in every day life you can expect the defenses to have some kind of repair system. Of course K'Luth uses Organic components making there repair system faster, but weaker in defense.
UGTO armor unattended by drones should take long, 0 to 100% in about ~12 minutes. while K'Luth would be 3, and ICC around 6. (there are fictional representatives, not actual figures).
And that only applies to Standard Armor, Ablative armor doesn't repair since it ejects part of itself towards the incoming projectile, making the projectile losing kinetic force.
Reflective however i'm still unsure about the fiction, have to talk to frob about that, since its technically possible to create a self repairing surface but that would be like butter when applying heat and kinetic weapons.. So no oppinion about Reflective's, Yet..

E.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-08 19:10   
Could we also find a way to do the following:

Keep shield status of other ships/plats always visible.

Fix Plats so they work properly, half the time they don't fire or build. I know it's "lag" but there has to be a way to fix it. Nothing more annoying then mining for resources and goto build and poof resources gone but plat never comes.

Maybe give plats more of a power boost also, they are pretty weak right now.

I'll be happy to get both but #1 would suit me.

I personally like to build plats but its really annoying when they don't build and they can be killed from a distance with a couple of ions.
[ This Message was edited by: --Daedalus-- on 2010-02-08 19:13 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021143 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR