- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Flash, Sparks and my Idea of ships blowing up.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Flash, Sparks and my Idea of ships blowing up.
Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-11 12:47   
Ok, everyone loves things that flash and go kaboom... except people with epilipses.

So I had an Idea after watching Star Wars: Clone Wars with my little brother. The way ships blow up and get damaged should change.

For example if you are in a Battle Dread and you are at 40% Hull with 10% Armour. You should have little explosions while being hulled. And a little voice saying: "Auxillary Reactors damaged!", "Explosion on Deck 4, 5 and 6!", "Quantum Singularity Torpedo Chamber damaged!" etc...

You know to make it more realistic. And before the death of a ship the bridge explodes then the rest of the ship. Or the Engine first. Adding to the little fires and the 2D image of the inside of your ship.

-Val
Holding George Lucas hostage since 1999

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-11 13:05   
Makes me wonder why they haven't done this before, its one of those nice asthetic things you would think would have been thrown in long ago. Awaiting Dev response.

-Ent

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-03-11 13:23   
I agree with this idea. Sure its would probably take some time to impliment but I think the devs should really consider adding this in. Might add just that little bit of gloss that the game could really use graphics wise to attract some attention.

Email UnknownWarrior
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-11 15:05   
Quote:

On 2010-03-11 12:47, (Micro-Soft)*-Dark Valkaryie-* wrote:
. You should have little explosions while being hulled. And a little voice saying: "Auxillary Reactors damaged!", "Explosion on Deck 4, 5 and 6!", "Quantum Singularity Torpedo Chamber damaged!" etc...

I would probably be saying stfu! keep firing! Damn noobs, recharge quicky, we gotta jump.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-11 18:56   
Quote:

On 2010-03-11 13:23, -Reaper- wrote:
I agree with this idea. Sure its would probably take some time to impliment but I think the devs should really consider adding this in. Might add just that little bit of gloss that the game could really use graphics wise to attract some attention.

Really? Having a voiceover saying "Critical Reactor damage!" and an explosion starting from the rear of the ship will suddenly make the game awesome? Somehow I doubt it.

Its not a bad idea, and something that could be made to look a bit more awesome, but I don't think its critical to the game. Maybe something to play with for a bored dev...

Email Shigernafy
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-11 19:33   
would be cool, I mean after all this game is still in beta as far as games are considered. I'm sure when the release comes that a lot of those pretty things will be there.

STO has a lot of this already, when you get below 75% your ship starts to look more damaged, then at 50% and 25%. At 25% you ship looks like its about to fall apart. then the explosion when you die plus a delayed bigger one when your warp core detonates. Its awesome.

[ This Message was edited by: Fast Starcommander*CO* on 2010-03-11 19:35 ]

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-11 20:37   
Unfortunately, as far as stuff to be done, other things come MUCH higher up on the list.

If we ever get a moment where we think "Ok, games in a good state, time to work on the graphics", then shaders are the first port of call.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-11 20:51   

Would be good if Devs could give us a clue as to what's next on the list for improvements.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-11 21:24   
The development log (on the left hand side) is a good place to start. We put almost all changes in it that are being worked on currently in beta.

A lot of ideas are kept private simply due to the fact that we haven't finalised them yet. We also have many ideas and plans for DarkSpace, but a lot of them take time to impliment, which is something of an issue.

At the end of the day, whenever an idea is finalised and we're ready to start working it into beta (or is currently being worked into beta), you'll see it in the development log.

Hope that answers your questions.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-11 21:33   

Thanks. I never noticed that before. Most of the time, I log in just to play the game, or just browse the forums for a bit.

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-03-11 22:03   
Coolies. Not saying its absolutely 100% important to have, would just be nice to have. Though Jack is right, the performance aspects of the game come first. Graphics later =)

Email UnknownWarrior
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-12 01:41   

Actually, I'm of the opinion that once the hull starts taking damage, individual ship systems should start to fail too.

Right now, I could be at 20% hull, and all my weaps, engines, jump drive, ECM, etc are still fully operational. The only time I see them damaged are when I'm boarded by enemy troops set to Raze.

I think I remember a time long ago when DS was in the Beta stage, where your individual subsystems would take damage and go offline.

Trust me... it's a scary thing when you see your Jump Drive flash red when the hull starts to go to pieces.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-12 01:58   
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 01:41, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Actually, I'm of the opinion that once the hull starts taking damage, individual ship systems should start to fail too.

Right now, I could be at 20% hull, and all my weaps, engines, jump drive, ECM, etc are still fully operational. The only time I see them damaged are when I'm boarded by enemy troops set to Raze.

I think I remember a time long ago when DS was in the Beta stage, where your individual subsystems would take damage and go offline.

Trust me... it's a scary thing when you see your Jump Drive flash red when the hull starts to go to pieces.

We are trying to factor EMP damage correctly, currently its all or to little. and All it so much and what we currently have is indeed some little.

Whaa suited meetings, i hate em.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-03-12 02:52   
Actually the game supports this... There are various levels of damage.

As a ship gets to a certain level a flag is marked, and then the game knows to display the fire, smoke, sparks, and damage mats as appropriate.

Anything can be put into the ships damage cue, but we did cut back on some things as particle effects were causing major lag for some players.

As for voice over, if you scroll in close to several of the ships you do occasionally here some of your crew talking...

Stuff like "Check the Tachyon injectors on..."

This stuff has been in and included with the game since closed and open beta, so 10 years now... We actually removed some of the voice and damage animations per player requests and stream lining over the years.

Email Tael
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-12 03:23   
Quote:

On 2010-03-12 01:58, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
We are trying to factor EMP damage correctly, currently its all or to little. and All it so much and what we currently have is indeed some little.

Whaa suited meetings, i hate em.

Hey there Ele,

Yeah. I was wondering abt the EMP damage too actually.

But I gather that this would be different from hull related damage, as EMP weaps specifically cause subsystems damage, while hull damage could cause indirect damage to the subsystems either randomly or sequentially.

Quote:

On 2010-03-12 02:52, Tael wrote:
Actually the game supports this... There are various levels of damage.

As a ship gets to a certain level a flag is marked, and then the game knows to display the fire, smoke, sparks, and damage mats as appropriate.

Anything can be put into the ships damage cue, but we did cut back on some things as particle effects were causing major lag for some players.

As for voice over, if you scroll in close to several of the ships you do occasionally here some of your crew talking...

Stuff like "Check the Tachyon injectors on..."

This stuff has been in and included with the game since closed and open beta, so 10 years now... We actually removed some of the voice and damage animations per player requests and stream lining over the years.

I'm not sure if you're talking abt the voiceovers or the subsystems damage when the ship gets hulled.

But seriously speaking, I'm not experiencing subsystem failures right now once I get hulled, no matter how badly. Is this because, as you said, the damage cue was cut back?

It will really make things more interesting if it happened more often.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020490 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR