No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Flash, Sparks and my Idea of ships blowing up.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Flash, Sparks and my Idea of ships blowing up.
SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-03-12 14:17   
Quote:

But seriously speaking, I'm not experiencing subsystem failures right now once I get hulled, no matter how badly. Is this because, as you said, the damage cue was cut back?

It will really make things more interesting if it happened more often.

I find that when u take a bunch of hull damage at a time (ex. a dread alphas ur unarmored side), especially when ur hull gets low (<50%) u start loosing a crap load of systems. maybe its just me but i quite often see half a dozen or more damaged systems.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-14 23:31   
Quote:

On 2010-03-12 14:17, SpaceGateKid wrote:
Quote:

But seriously speaking, I'm not experiencing subsystem failures right now once I get hulled, no matter how badly. Is this because, as you said, the damage cue was cut back?

I find that when u take a bunch of hull damage at a time (ex. a dread alphas ur unarmored side), especially when ur hull gets low (<50%) u start loosing a crap load of systems. maybe its just me but i quite often see half a dozen or more damaged systems.

Really?

That's weird, cos I don't get any systems failure at all even when I'm hulled to 20%.

Maybe it's just the K'Luth? I dunno, really....

Any comments to shed some light, Devs?

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-14 23:40   
Ships used to start passing on damage to subsystems at 50% hull damage, but that was cut to only one gadget potentially taking damage below 50%, because of the effects of EMP -- for a while there an UGTO player could just mount a few EMP cannons and completely nuke an entire ships' systems. We basically over-nerfed it until we can readdress the system as a whole.

You might not see any because your AHR repairs the gadgets before you can notice the damage (gadget HP is a fraction of your hull, so I think the AHR can repair them pretty quickly, in combination with their natural repair rate), because you're not getting hulled enough, or you're just lucky (as there's just a chance of damage).

The graphics of your ship being on fire have nothing to do with it - thats just an art flag; it has nothing to do with anything else in game.

But on the original topic, it would be possible to add another flag or two (ie, more than just at 50% and 20% or whatever it might be currently) to have more effects from damage. The problem, as Tael points out, is that we scaled back a lot of these effects due to trying to cut down on particle counts -- to not only speed up the lower level systems but cut down on reports of graphics lag. A big push lately has been to reduce the count of objects in the game and details being rendered; flashes, sparks and blowing up ships are a casualty thereof.

Email Shigernafy
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-15 04:52   
Great. Thanks for the clarifications, Shig.

Yeah. I remember playing DS beta back in 2001. And once I got hulled, I began to experience weapons going down.

But the ultimate nightmare was always the jump engines getting fried. LOL. That's usually meant it's curtains for the pilot.

Right now, ships usually go all out broadside till under 10% hull, then e-jump out. Unless they were near a dictored planet.... or there was the hated (by most ppl... LOL) dictor cruiser around.

Having systems failure tied more to hull damage will change the dynamics of gameplay for sure. Instead of the pinata-slugfest that we see now, players will exercise more care and choose their tactics more discerningly.

But I'm curious.... how does the damage cue tie to graphics performance or particle count?

IIRC, some things can be processed client-side and then the data passed on to the server. I'm no programmer, but having watched discussions on the developments of HalfLife mods, I've seen discussions on certain factors or variables that can be processed client side to save on server overheads.

Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-15 05:45   
[quote]
On 2010-03-12 03:23, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if you're talking abt the voiceovers or the subsystems damage when the ship gets hulled.

It happens to me all the time.... I get critical systems damaged which affect the specific ship atributes (engines, weapons systems, etc). And I do also notice the hull damage and particle effects even to this day..... because when I see the nice blue particle plume off the aft of a ship I can hear my Pres going cha-ching.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-15 12:43   
Quote:
Flash, Sparks and my Idea of ships blowing up.

Nexus: The Jupiter incident.

But that isn't being realistic, in how big we can make ship explosions in DarkSpace.

deathblave
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-15 14:46   
lol BOOM!!!!!!

Email deathblave
Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-16 04:49   
Quote:

On 2010-03-15 12:43, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
Nexus: The Jupiter incident.

But that isn't being realistic, in how big we can make ship explosions in DarkSpace.

When a Nexus goes pop it is quite impressive.... saw my first one in Sag a few days ago.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-16 09:16   

Quote:

[/quote]

We can always add back system damage to ion cannons if thats where you're poking at.

Email Sens [R33]
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-16 09:40   
Quote:

On 2010-03-16 09:16, Sensitivity wrote:

Quote:

We can always add back system damage to ion cannons if thats where you're poking at.

Not happening.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.013462 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR